Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
"The great problem of American political discourse has always been – strangely for such a Biblical culture – a refusal to accept the idea of original sin. Tragic narratives are driven by some version of this idea: something went wrong at the beginning and, until it is confronted and expiated, it will continue to play itself out in havoc and pain.

Biden has to create a bold departure from the hollow promises of the American dream and towards a new, real equality.
The mainstream American narrative has worked in the opposite direction. The foundational acts are sacred. If the present has gone wrong, it is because we have deviated from our origins. We must return to those foundations and we will be great again. Trump repeated exactly this story; Biden must break from it once and for all."

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ca-great-again
Speaking of biblical, going off tangent, but what I have always found peculiar about American political discourse is how "God" is uttered at almost every turn, starting with "God bless America", whereas many countries go out of their way to not mention that 3 letter word in order to at least appear to be consistent with the notion of separation of church and state. I think that an interesting exercise would be substituting every utterance of "God" with the analogue (some might characterise it as the synonym) from another culture, "Allah", and see what sort of impression Americans get from the same discourse.

Back on topic (of sorts), I suppose this shouldn't be surprising, but I still find myself shaking my head:

'I’m facing a prison sentence': US Capitol rioters plead with Trump for pardons