Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Chris Rock pointing out that police should occasionally shoot a white child/person to balance out the racial imbalance to provide credence to the idea that it's not racial is biting...he wants to see a white mother crying on TV.
    I'm a knee-jerk lefty, but we need to be careful with this discussion. Lots of white people are shot by the police every year.

"For the last five years, the police have fatally shot about 1,000 civilians annually, the vast majority of whom were armed or otherwise dangerous. Black people account for about 23% of those shot and killed by police; they are about 13% of the U.S. population."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/3235072001/

Links to the Washinton Post database, which I can't link to directly because it is behind a paywall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Revenge? A dish best served by those in power, it seems.
    1. Cheat your way up the ladder
    2. Punch down
    3. Call it winning
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    I'm a knee-jerk lefty, but we need to be careful with this discussion. Lots of white people are shot by the police every year.
    I get the data...I just think that there are some comedians who are able to make the "invisible" more visible/understandable to folks.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naughty Donny...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...del-amy-dorris

How many accusations is he now up to? A CEO repeatedly accused of this type of behaviour would have been fired a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Naughty Donny...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...del-amy-dorris

How many accusations is he now up to? A CEO repeatedly accused of this type of behaviour would have been fired a long time ago.
    ~25
    She's not my type.
    This is politically motivated.
    I was only joking around.
    She begged me for a job, but I refused, and she walked out like a dog, so revenge.
    If you're a star, they let you do it.
    It is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...seeing he lies repeatedly, any denial, no matter the form, lacks credibility. Hopeless individual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Ruth Bader Ginsburg has just passed... let the fuckery begin
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Apparently Ruth Bader Ginsburg has just passed... let the fuckery begin
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    To pile on....this is really bad news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure #pedotrump will go by the Garland/Moscow Mitch rule where if within a year of the supposed appointment, things are on hold until after the election. Right. Right? Beers and boofing all around for O'Kavanagh and the boys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tragic on so many levels - and I do not mean to diminish in any way the loss felt by RGBs family and friends. 2020 really has been an awful year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would sleep better if we actually had a conservative president at this point in history.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forced sterilzations.
    Kids in cages.
    The media is the enemy of the people.
    Suggesting wearing masks is worse than slavery.
    Cohn/Barr has his agents in place.
    Putin's upside down bible bitch in place.
    Hello Germany 1933.
    #pedotrump

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RBG

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF is with this mindless love affair with “conservatism”? Really; HTF can humans who are the beneficiaries of all manner of human progress suddenly be jumping on the “I’m a conservative” bullshit bandwagon??

More just mechanisms for governing, ending/combating enslavement and indentured servitude, the rule of law, making the rule of law more just and humane to people, ending government by divine right or family linage, combating cruelty to animals, deciding that education shouldn’t be for the privileged few, public schools, all manner of science, the arts, humanities, women’s vote, blacks not being 3/5 of a person, civil rights, combating racism, recognizing that human activity is changing the atmosphere and biosphere and at least talking about doing something about it, seatbelt laws, side impact beams, not killing people for thinking that the Earth revolved around the sun, the notion that workers should have safe work environments, the notion that water and air should be clean and rivers not catch fire as industrial sewers, hospitals treating folks who can’t pay, and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on…..that’s PROGRESS folks. Centuries of small steps to improve the human condition in tens of thousands of ways resulting in a fucking avalanche of progress in the human condition, opposed every damn step of the way by those who don’t want to give up their power or who are to damn scared of change, to change. And now approximately half of the US population, and similar ratios in other advanced countries, proudly claim “I’m conservative”.

I really don’t mean to insult those who claim “I’m conservative” but WTF are you thinking? How can you turn your backs on what PROGRESSIVE ACTION has done to make your life not be shit; ‘cause for the vast majority of peeps that’s what your life would be without the arduous, bloody work and sacrifices of folks who wanted to make things better for more people, animals, the environment….aka PROGRESSIVES. HTF can you possibly think that Trump & Co are going to make things better; and please don’t be so daft as to get into a “well the democrats xyz”; of course that party has probs too, of course it’s made it’s share of fuckups, but one of the two is more progressive than the other. And with the mounting problems we’re experiencing I want smart, educated, progressive minded people tying to figure out how to address them. I, and in the final analysis you (will find), don’t want destructive, divisive, corrosive, racist, fundamentalist dumb asses in control of our trajectory.

I ran across this yesterday; it's only one data point of million; I've lived in FL for a long time, remember seeing the "whites only" type of signs and my eyes are open, but I was gobsmacked at this: https://www.theledger.com/in-depth/n...9qVTyMQYD-IxFw

End of rant; but it ain't wrong and now I'll go back to radio silence. In the mean time, how about you "conservatives" who still support Trump open your minds and eyes, quit falling for the lies and misrepresentations, an vote the orange cancer and his cronies out of office.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing Democrats can do to stop Trump from replacing Justice Ginsburg | Vox

"President Barack Obama had the opportunity — or should have — to fill Justice Antonin Scalia’s seat in 2016 and give liberals a majority on the Supreme Court for the first time since the Nixon administration. But he didn’t get that opportunity. Instead, Republicans blocked him under a new stricture they invented, audaciously named the “Biden rule,” which decreed that no Supreme Court vacancy that arises in the final year of a president’s term may be filled.

The Biden rule got its name from an exaggerated reading of a 1992 speech by then-Sen. Joe Biden, where the future Democratic presidential nominee argued that then-President George H.W. Bush “should consider following the practice of a majority of his predecessors and not — and not — name a nominee until after the November election is completed” if a vacancy arose on the Supreme Court.

The question four years later: Are Republicans serious about their adopted rule? Will they risk Biden himself filling the seat left vacant by Ruth Bader Ginsburg if Trump loses in November? McConnell’s been clear: The answer is no. On Friday night, a few hours Ginsberg’s death, McConnell said Trump’s nominee would get a vote.

Trump is still president for at least a few more months. Democrats are in the minority in the Senate (although the Democratic “minority” represents 15 million more people than the Republican “majority”). These two facts matter because the Constitution gives the president the power to nominate judges and the Senate the power to confirm those judges.

Right now Republicans have a 53-47 vote majority in the Senate. That means that, unless Democrats can somehow convince four Republican senators to honor the so-called “Biden rule,” Ginsburg’s seat is being filled by Trump.

But if Democrats win both the presidency and the Congress, they can ensure that the GOP supermajority on the Supreme Court will be short-lived. They could pack the Court. "
    Last edited by guido; 09-19-2020 at 07:28 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautifully stated, John Clay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I hope Mitt Romney can convince two more senators to come along for the ride. Another interesting gambit is Kamala Harris is on Senate Judiciary committee and currently campaigning. Maybe they can make a procedural play along these lines....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The political football that is the choice of a judge to the Supreme Court can be lessened by mandating a compulsory retirement age for judges. Statutory senility is 70 in Australia and with rising life expectancies, maybe that is a little young. However, appointment for life seems a bit mis-guided and obviously provides a President with a great deal of power to influence the outcome long after they cease to be in power. If you are appointed at age 55 for example, you could be trucking along for 30 plus years. With all due respect to Ginsberg, 87 is too old to be at the apex of the legal system. A compulsory retirement age of between 70 and 75, makes much sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    The political football that is the choice of a judge to the Supreme Court can be lessened by mandating a compulsory retirement age for judges. Statutory senility is 70 in Australia and with rising life expectancies, maybe that is a little young. However, appointment for life seems a bit mis-guided and obviously provides a President with a great deal of power to influence the outcome long after they cease to be in power. If you are appointed at age 55 for example, you could be trucking along for 30 plus years. With all due respect to Ginsberg, 87 is too old to be at the apex of the legal system. A compulsory retirement age of between 70 and 75, makes much sense.
    How would that fix a Senate majority gaming the system to its own ends and hearing candidates only when it's politically advantageous for the majority?

If we apply this and she retired in 2003, that would have been Bill Frist and a Senate Majority under a Republican President picking her successor. Doubt they're going for a similarly progressive candidate to maintain some balance on the court.