Page 12 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

No it would not fix the Senate majority issue, but it would reduce the longevity of appointment and hence lessen the impact of a conservative or progressive appointment (depending on your point of view).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pogo is turning in his grave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    The political football that is the choice of a judge to the Supreme Court can be lessened by mandating a compulsory retirement age for judges. Statutory senility is 70 in Australia and with rising life expectancies, maybe that is a little young. However, appointment for life seems a bit mis-guided and obviously provides a President with a great deal of power to influence the outcome long after they cease to be in power. If you are appointed at age 55 for example, you could be trucking along for 30 plus years. With all due respect to Ginsberg, 87 is too old to be at the apex of the legal system. A compulsory retirement age of between 70 and 75, makes much sense.
    Watch her eyes when he asks her a serious question, and ask yourself whether what's working in there is at all compromised.

And if you have the time, this is a further window into her mind.

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limited lifetime (XX years max) for Supremes and then the opportunity to be court clerks emeritus? Or to be in the committee that judges the fitness of candidates?

Perhaps wishful but I subscribe to the idea that once seated, justices begin a long transition into independent thinking and a focus on long term outcomes that the other two branches either can't afford or can't imagine. Even Rhymes-with-Terence-Clomas has changed a bit. So I think it's important to have a term limit that is still a very different time frame from the 3 terms max that a member of Congress should serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Limited lifetime (XX years max) for Supremes and then the opportunity to be court clerks emeritus? Or to be in the committee that judges the fitness of candidates?

Perhaps wishful but I subscribe to the idea that once seated, justices begin a long transition into independent thinking and a focus on long term outcomes that the other two branches either can't afford or can't imagine. Even Rhymes-with-Terence-Clomas has changed a bit. So I think it's important to have a term limit that is still a very different time frame from the 3 terms max that a member of Congress should serve.
    I am pretty liberal, and even though I hate the present circumstances, I think a judge should sit for life or until they decide to retire. I want independence. All of the SCOTUS members are essentially free for life, if you start talking about retirement, they may have to think about to something after the court which taints their thinking.

Short term thinking leads to long term unexpected outcomes. The fact this is even happening now is because of short sighted rule change by Harry Reid. I like the old Senate when things were more difficult and thus compromise more likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how many of you want to election to be about the Supreme Court instead of DJTs misrule ?

If DJT get his nominee on the court before the election, does the election go back
    to being about him ? If DJT doesn't get his nominee is the election determined
    by the Supreme Court choice. All of DJTs failures and proto authoritarianism
    is set aside for a Supreme Court fight?

Do you want a republic or a Supreme Court seat ?

Daniel Webster asks "How stands the Republic?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I am pretty liberal, and even though I hate the present circumstances, I think a judge should sit for life or until they decide to retire. I want independence. All of the SCOTUS members are essentially free for life, if you start talking about retirement, they may have to think about to something after the court which taints their thinking.

Short term thinking leads to long term unexpected outcomes. The fact this is even happening now is because of short sighted rule change by Harry Reid. I like the old Senate when things were more difficult and thus compromise more likely.
    In Australia, Judges are appointed by either State of the Federal Government, depending on which court they are being appointed to. They in turn hold the position until statutory retirement (ie 70). This may mean between 10-15 and maybe more years of service. They are in all respects independent.

Of course independence is an issue as Judges are typically chosen from a pool of top class barristers and to take a judicial position means a considerable drop in salary (there is the old joke of why don't you get chosen as a judge to which the response is why would I want to do that, I pay more in tax than they earn). So, their position is independent and not subject to government oversight (except in extraordinary circumstances), they get increased levels of annual leave, they get an attractive pension on retirement (subject to holding the position for a period of time), which in turn gets passed on to their spouse (at a slightly reduced rate) on their death.

Hence there are checks and balances in place to ward off any compromise to their integrity or independence.

So (IMO at least), having a compulsory retirement age avoids compromise of mental facilities as someone ages - and the concept of holding on to avoid the possibility of the other side replacing you with one of their own is almost obscene - and avoids a scenario of entrenching the other side for 20 years plus by an opportune appointment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to believe that the intellectual challenge of hanging with the other judges is enough to insure they won't stay on past their peak ability. RBG had not lost a step. She napped during the State of the Union, but no one ever doubted her faculties.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post

Term limits for both the Supreme Court and Congress are a bad idea that superficially seem great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    So how many of you want to election to be about the Supreme Court instead of DJTs misrule ?

If DJT get his nominee on the court before the election, does the election go back
    to being about him ? If DJT doesn't get his nominee is the election determined
    by the Supreme Court choice. All of DJTs failures and proto authoritarianism
    is set aside for a Supreme Court fight?

Do you want a republic or a Supreme Court seat ?

Daniel Webster asks "How stands the Republic?"
    I always liked that particular version of the Faustian story

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    The political football that is the choice of a judge to the Supreme Court can be lessened by mandating a compulsory retirement age for judges. Statutory senility is 70 in Australia and with rising life expectancies, maybe that is a little young. However, appointment for life seems a bit mis-guided and obviously provides a President with a great deal of power to influence the outcome long after they cease to be in power. If you are appointed at age 55 for example, you could be trucking along for 30 plus years. With all due respect to Ginsberg, 87 is too old to be at the apex of the legal system. A compulsory retirement age of between 70 and 75, makes much sense.
    I don't disagree with that. BUT there are a few firms finding out that compulsory retirement is actually discrimination on the basis of age and you can't do that (although they are trying to kick partners out at closer to 55). Not sure how that circle gets squared.

Whatever, I agree that 87 is too old for that role. But then I don't live in a country where presidential candidates are in their 70s.

Also, why should judges be appointed for life but presidents have a two term limit? I don't get that yet...our PMs are free to serve as long as they like (until recently!) but if they have outstayed their welcome the electorate lets them know, and they exit stage left. "Thank you Mr Howard, your services are no longer required."
    Last edited by Colinmclelland; 09-20-2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: typos!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Modest Suggestion:

Write one letter to the editor explaining why Trump and his enablers are a grave danger and must be voted out of office regardless of any other perceived concerns. Then send it to as many opinion editors of smaller newspapers and other types of small local publications as possible, particularly (but not exclusively) in battleground states.

This election isn’t about whether or not the Democratic Party or it’s candidates are terrific; it’s about limiting the very real damage being done by Trump and his enablers.

One measly little letter that you can knock out over a cup of coffee, or two. It needn't be long or touch on a plethora of relevant subject areas, but do something, anything, to make the case; and then ask your friends to do the same.

It's worth noting that the realities surrounding abortion are being grossly misrepresented and are driving an awful lot of folks in their election choices. These people are willing to let Trump burn the house down over Roe v Wade.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Scott is right. Trump would love the election to be about the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court appointment gives him an escape route if it isn’t used to underline all the other dangerous failings of his administration, i.e. one more bad thing among many. The Supreme Court appointment should be a tool to bring pressure to bear upon the Senate, and either make it readily apparent how morally bankrupt the majority is. Trump should continue to have to answer for everything else that he and his administration have done as well as the appointment to the Supreme Court. Don’t let him hide behind anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RBG's last wish:“My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.”

Tя☭mp's response: “I don't know that she said that, or was that written out by Adam Schiff and Schumer and Pelosi. I would be more inclined to the second. Okay, you know, that came out of the wind and sounds so beautiful, but that sounds like a Schumer deal or maybe a Pelosi or Shifty Schiff. So that came out of the wind.”

Vile pile of shit. And "people" still support him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ignorance please....here is the whole thing about white liberals speaking for this...you are full of shit...take any of these recent "cop killings"....and head down to the neighborhood these folks came from....take a good look...talk to us actual black folks down there....what on earth do you know white man? You want less police? Less protection as a white liberal and talk for ME and my hoodl? totally racist white liberal...for us folks in these bad hoods you ought to be in the klan to be honest....you want us dead....nothing like white lies via our peeps...but you white folks feel good about yourselves ok> thanks for the support!!! feel good about your motives? good to hear....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
    ignorance please....here is the whole thing about white liberals speaking for this...you are full of shit...take any of these recent "cop killings"....and head down to the neighborhood these folks came from....take a good look...talk to us actual black folks down there....what on earth do you know white man? You want less police? Less protection as a white liberal and talk for ME and my hoodl? totally racist white liberal...for us folks in these bad hoods you ought to be in the klan to be honest....you want us dead....nothing like white lies via our peeps...but you white folks feel good about yourselves ok> thanks for the support!!! feel good about your motives? good to hear....
    Is this a quote from somewhere? Your thoughts on the really poorly named "defund the police" proposition? Something else? I'm having a hard time following.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Is this a quote from somewhere? Your thoughts on the really poorly named "defund the police" proposition? Something else? I'm having a hard time following.
    Ya, I don't quite follow either.

Here's the way it works. Most of us from the hood who are over 30 hate the cops. They profile us, disrespect us, punk us, and tax us. If you don't have a criminal record or gang affiliation, you'll 999,999/1,000,000 make it out alive. Then you move somewhere safe and have things to protect (value) but every few years (5 or 10) you're reminded of your place. However, you'll gladly resort to using their services when necessary. The time my neighbor seemed to be beating his wife to death; I called them. Didn't want to get involved (it's a hood thing) but, ya know, my kid thought someone was going to die. They showed up in 3 minutes! Anyway, just rambling or posting extemporaneously.

Oh, and, white people, thanks for finally caring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Ya, I don't quite follow either.

Here's the way it works. Most of us from the hood who are over 30 hate the cops. They profile us, disrespect us, punk us, and tax us. If you don't have a criminal record or gang affiliation, you'll 999,999/1,000,000 make it out alive. Then you move somewhere safe and have things to protect (value) but every few years (5 or 10) you're reminded of your place. However, you'll gladly resort to using their services when necessary. The time my neighbor seemed to be beating his wife to death; I called them. Didn't want to get involved (it's a hood thing) but, ya know, my kid thought someone was going to die. They showed up in 3 minutes! Anyway, just rambling or posting extemporaneously.

Oh, and, white people, thanks for finally caring!
    Yeah. No words but yeah. Fuk me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More shit that just makes my blood boil: https://theintercept.com/2020/09/22/...zation-budget/

Indispensable country my ass.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    More shit that just makes my blood boil: https://theintercept.com/2020/09/22/...zation-budget/

Indispensable country my ass.
    If you aren't one of us, you must be an enemy of the state. . .

This is more interesting. It is a letter to the court from the Career official who reviewed Bolton's book for classified material.
    https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttoo...df88a/full.pdf

Hunter Biden's Burisma probe was released also. It seems like a pile of nothing. . .