Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    talk about a disingenuous post.
    How is that.

Wouldn't you want to know if people are getting the vaccine but then testing positive for C19 2 weeks later?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    there are several reports of individuals getting COVID after vaccination, because there hasn't been enough time from the vaccine to develop a significant enough antibody response.
    Thank you for your response. I saw a report of one individual getting C19 a day after receiving the vaccine.

Regarding the second shot. I'm surprised that some have/are planning on delaying the second shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Then you have never met one of these people-there is NOT more to life than guns for them.. I’m simply unable to comprehend their ability to be so singularly focused. I live in rural TN and know plenty of them.. a guy that hauls scrap for me is one. It’s guns over god, family, abortion rights-every single thing this guy says somehow goes to a conversation on guns or ammunition. I had known him for 3 years before I knew he had kids.. he cares about nothing in this world but guns.

When he hauls my scrap away he lets me know that he made $31.37 and that’s enough to buy 400 rounds of blah blah..

And sadly, he isn’t the only one I know like that-I 100% know that he would let his family go without if it meant not feeling as though he was ‘prepped.’
    How do these people end up like this? What can be done to ensure that people don't go down this path?

Sadly if the gun people try and march on Washington in the coming week or so, it will end in bloodshed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    How is that.

Wouldn't you want to know if people are getting the vaccine but then testing positive for C19 2 weeks later?
    because it's common knowledge that you don't get immunity the instant you get a vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is a good question actually. I haven't seen anywhere anything that says all members of Congress have been vaccinated. The vaccination schedule was, if I remember correctly, dependent on being present in DC and at the Capitol, so members of Congress were not getting the vaccine administered in their home districts. And rank and file members got the opportunity in January, several weeks after leadership. There was a recess for the holiday and then last week was a complete mess, right? SO it could easily be that some had not yet gotten their vaccine, and if they had, could not yet have built up the antibodies to fend off an infection as noted above by jimcav.

Seems like there should be some clarification so that false rumors do not get started.

Is Rand Paul actually a doctor? He always seems kind of backwards on a lot of info re: immunity and vaccine science.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In what fucking universe would it be that it’s safe to assume that every one else in the room got the initial dose of the vaccine, or the second dose of the vaccine, and that it had time to actually be effective? Or that if you were vaccinated that you couldn’t still spread the virus?

Or that there weren’t other people in the room, such as staffers or facilities/custodial staff in the room, who had not been vaccinated?

Sine, are you actually trying to excuse this conduct?
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is that.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144245/download#page11

The data is included in the FDA briefing paper from Pfizer. 7 days after the second dose is when immunity appears.
    You can read the executive summary.

This is why the people saying we should vaccinate as many as possible with the first dose and worry about the second later are mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assumed Sine was asking how someone who got the vaccine could then test positive. Admittedly there is plenty of readily available information explaining how the vaccine works, but it cannot be considered a stupid question because people should know and if they don't, they should ask so they learn.

I did not think that he was excusing the actions of those who were not wearing masks in close quarters during the attempted insurrection, but I jumped in late in the mix. Perhaps he will clarify.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Is Rand Paul actually a doctor? He always seems kind of backwards on a lot of info re: immunity and vaccine science.
    Paul is/was an ophthalmologist. I'm not making a judgement on any medical professionals or any other group, but it is demonstrably true that a medical degree (or any other) does not preclude one from denying or otherwise going against proven science of all sorts.

I am a lifelong Kentuckian and a dedicated and engaged voter. Apparently Paul had an office in my office building but may no longer. I hoped everyday for the opportunity to have a word on the stairs or in the elevator. He's not an idiot, which makes him more of a threat than many of his peers in Congress.

My infant daughter and I once ran into my other senator in Kroger (she's 8 now). He looked at her and smiled and she instantly started crying. I thought I was going to have to abandon that cart, but I grabbed a banana to distract her and was able to settle her down. Thinking of it now, I didn't pay for that banana. Oops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Sine, are you actually trying to excuse this conduct?
    Absolutely not.

House members started getting the vaccine week of Dec. 14-18th. As reported, some younger members did not get the vaccine then...wanting the older population to get vaccinated first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admittedly there is plenty of readily available information explaining how the vaccine works,
    I've been hearing lighthearted vaccine joke's all afternoon.......as posted on another thread, my wife got her first shot yesterday. Family and close friends have been calling her to see how she is doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    because it's common knowledge that you don't get immunity the instant you get a vaccine.

Like sometimes people die after mailing in their vote and, before votes are counted. Shit happens.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went out to the shop to work on the frame I'm building; flipped on the radio, WFSU (NPR), and was treated to a number of Republicans making the most inane arguments for not invoking the 25th and opposing a vote to impeach. One went so far as to opine that Trump wasn't inciting the crowd, that he was counselling restraint and that because the seditionists had planned their assembly prior to the 6th, Trump couldn't be responsible. You know, while many of our representatives aren't terribly impressive in terms of vision and that sort of thing, they aren't organically stupid; so my comment is that that particular rep wasn't being merely disingenuous, he was flat out lying through his teeth. He couldn't be so brain dead stupid as to believe what he said or he wouldn't be able to tie his effing shoelaces.

A mass of peeps, some armed and obviously prepared to handcuff....geeee, who do you think?? Pence, Pelosi, AOC, any old Dem they managed to run down and corner?? And what,....have a pleasant conversation about the merits of Trump and their shared ideas on governance?? Jesus, some of those peeps were prepared for and intended to find and kill people, and a bunch of #%&@! Republican representatives STILL refuse to own up to it and do what needs to be done. That ANYBODY with an IQ above about 13 can't/doesn't/won't see it and take the gloves off is just beyond my ability to comprehend. Ohhhh, it won't bring us together, going after Herr Hitler, let's not be mean, let's heal. What a bunch of....hell, I don't even know what to call them, my vocabulary of foul language comes up short; not something of which I'm often accused. It's not that they don't know shit from shineola, it's that they enjoy selling the shit. And Pence? Good Gawd, what a sorry POS; the guy ought to get a job sweeping up road apples behind the horses in whatever parade his home town puts on.

I listen to these people and it just boggles my mind that this...THIS is who people actually VOTE for?? Phuck. Be glad...."very glad" that these folks don't design aircraft.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post

I listen to these people and it just boggles my mind that this...THIS is who people actually VOTE for?? Phuck. Be glad...."very glad" that these folks don't design aircraft.
    In a way they did, it was called the 737 Max. In a society that values narrative and spin over facts, the 737 Max seems like an inevitable outcome.

That's why the riot is being rebranded as the First Amendment Protest. That's why some are saying Trump was just exercising his free speech.

It's a big ugly cancer with its tentacles reaching all parts of American society.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    In a way they did, it was called the 737 Max. In a society that values narrative and spin over facts, the 737 Max seems like an inevitable outcome.

That's why the riot is being rebranded as the First Amendment Protest. That's why some are saying Trump was just exercising his free speech.

It's a big ugly cancer with its tentacles reaching all parts of American society.
    Sadly true...Touché.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a big ugly cancer with its testicles reaching all parts of American society.

Fixed it for you: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...one-very-wrong
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly concerning...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...l-biggs-gosar/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...apitol-attack/

I am not sure how you tell reconnaissance from the typical dog-and-pony constituent tours, unless they were given maps with targets marked out on them. And that Ali guy is obviously a bit publicity hungry and potentially in some legal jeopardy so maybe not the most trustworthy source.

But...

Meanwhile Republicans are getting pissy about metal detectors. I think they could care less about metal detectors and more about revoking their unwritten privilege that they could walk through without being checked even if the red light came on. There are metal detectors all over the place in the Capitol. But I saw members step around or walk through without stopping, ostensibly because they were late for a floor vote (happens often - some offices being quite far away from the House and Senate chambers.) Also they might be a little paranoid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly concerning...

I am not sure how you tell reconnaissance from the typical dog-and-pony constituent tours, unless they were given maps with targets marked out on them. And that Ali guy is obviously a bit publicity hungry and potentially in some legal jeopardy so maybe not the most trustworthy source.

But...

Meanwhile Republicans are getting pissy about metal detectors. I think they could care less about metal detectors and more about revoking their unwritten privilege that they could walk through without being checked even if the red light came on. There are metal detectors all over the place in the Capitol. But I saw members step around or walk through without stopping, ostensibly because they were late for a floor vote (happens often - some offices being quite far away from the House and Senate chambers.) Also they might be a little paranoid?
    This is a waste of time. You need to follow the money trail. Ali Alexander is a conman. Find out how he is raising the money to pay for some of this. Who paid for the set up for Trump and his entourage there. All this requires coordination.

Everything else is just chatter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Slightly concerning...

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    This is a waste of time. You need to follow the money trail. Ali Alexander is a conman. Find out how he is raising the money to pay for some of this. Who paid for the set up for Trump and his entourage there. All this requires coordination.

Everything else is just chatter.
    Rep. Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ) is a retired Navy helicopter pilot, former federal prosecutor, and Annapolis grad. If she calls them "reconnaissance" tours, I'm gonna believe her. That's not mere chatter.

Alexander may be a conman, but the fact that he was planning last Wednesday's event with Reps Biggs and Gosar (both R-AZ) is alarming. Looking forward to hearings, maybe they can call back the oleaginous Trey Gowdy as special counsel.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin