User Tag List

Page 84 of 97 FirstFirst ... 747576777879808182838485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1923

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I know this isn't your country, but I'm a little surprised that you thought these evils began with a NYC huckster con-man in 2015.

Slavery is the original sin of the United States and its poison runs through the centuries. Bigbill's research touches on one particular era and set of activities, set to create a righteous narrative papering over treason, violence and defeat.

Honestly you could choose any decade between between 1620 and now, and uncover history that lays bare the tragedy and inhumanity of slavery and racism.
    Both slavery and the extermination of the Native peoples. This is the subtext of The House of the Seven Gables.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Both slavery and the extermination of the Native peoples. This is the subtext of The House of the Seven Gables.
    Yes... the guilt that never goes away and imho is at the root of the irrational gun violence in the US.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    They won't learn, they'll blame someone else. White rage, yet another element in the enduring legacy of slavery and ongoing racism. They'll burn their own house down and blame it on the fact that they are "losing their rights." At the most basic, fundamental core of these issues, it's white males unhappy at losing their hegemony. Greg
    We can blame the white supremacists because they are the most vocal and visible, but it is the nation's illness because our society was built upon segregation and racism. We are they.

For me, I approached my research as an engineer because that's my day job. Confederate monuments remain to remind and reinforce systemic racism. Unless they are on a battlefield or in a museum or memorial park, the intention of the monuments was to intimidate and suppress African-Americans during the Jim Crow period. The Civil Rights Act was to end Jim Crow and while it gave credence to legal challenges, it really did nothing for systemic racism. There were major actors in world of white supremacy, but as a nation, we were complicit. We remain complicit as long as it doesn't directly affect us. We can post all kinds of patronizing stuff on social media about how racism is wrong, but what are we doing about it besides changing the background on our profile pictures.

I took interest in this topic because of my root cause background. We could tell everyone to stop being racist, but how many people don't know their social position was impacted by systemic racism? My goal is root cause layout of why systemic racism is so ingrained in our culture, if people know how the cause, perhaps they can reflect on their role. At the same time, African-Americans need to know as well. This is about the mindset of a nation, not one group.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fun. Look for your neighbors.

https://www.instagram.com/homegrownterrorists/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My wife posited that this has all been a charade to allow Pence to invoke the 25th with the acquiescence of the required parties in Congress etc., become acting President and then turn around and pardon Trump. Trumps A#1 fear is prosecution evidently. Quintessential Emperor-has-no-clothes moment.

I like it as a screenplay, but I think in reality the guy is just a maniac.
    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I don't understand what that (bold) means either. Looks like a sentence fragment to me.

Pacifism isn't the "other side of the fence" right now. You can be against violence but for legally ending the current President's tenure. They are not mutually exclusive premises. Pacifism isn't appeasement.

And Trump isn't going to fade away. To be rid of him, he will need sterner measures than vacation.

Hopefully the dual quotes helps you remember what you wrote.

Often pacifism is action through no action. Sorry you don't understand my point, or that I'm doing such a terrible job conveying it in a way you will understand. To me, such an unprecedented and unproven action with twelve days left is purely fear based, bordering on panic, nothing else, and certainly not going to contribute to peace or stability of any kind- it will do the exact opposite and invite more violence, fear, and everything that 99% of us don't want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another lifelong Republican says enough is enough.

Bret Stephens: Impeach and Convict. Right Now.
    Trump is too dangerous to leave in office for even another minute.

“For five years, Republicans let him degrade political culture by normalizing his behavior. For five years, they let him wage war on democratic norms and institutions. For five years, they treated his nonstop mendacity as a quirk of character, not a disqualification for office. For five years, they treated his rallies as carnivals of democracy, not as training grounds for mob rule.

For five years, they thought this was costless. On Wednesday — forgive the cliché, but it’s apt here — their chickens came home to roost.

Every decent society depends for its survival on its ability to be shocked — and stay shocked — by genuinely shocking behavior. Donald Trump’s entire presidency has been an assault on that idea.

There is only one prescription for it now. Impeach the president and remove him from office now. Ban him forever from office now. Let every American know that, in the age of Trump, there are some things that can never be allowed to stand, most of all Trump himself.”
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sino View Post
    Hopefully the dual quotes helps you remember what you wrote.

Often pacifism is action through no action. Sorry you don't understand my point, or that I'm doing such a terrible job conveying it in a way you will understand. To me, such an unprecedented and unproven action with twelve days left is purely fear based, bordering on panic, nothing else, and certainly not going to contribute to peace or stability of any kind- it will do the exact opposite and invite more violence, fear, and everything that 99% of us don't want.
    Good luck and good night.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-07-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have understood that were he impeached he could not run for office again in four years, which seems reason enough to have a second go.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    We can blame the white supremacists because they are the most vocal and visible, but it is the nation's illness because our society was built upon segregation and racism. We are they.

For me, I approached my research as an engineer because that's my day job. Confederate monuments remain to remind and reinforce systemic racism. Unless they are on a battlefield or in a museum or memorial park, the intention of the monuments was to intimidate and suppress African-Americans during the Jim Crow period. The Civil Rights Act was to end Jim Crow and while it gave credence to legal challenges, it really did nothing for systemic racism. There were major actors in world of white supremacy, but as a nation, we were complicit. We remain complicit as long as it doesn't directly affect us. We can post all kinds of patronizing stuff on social media about how racism is wrong, but what are we doing about it besides changing the background on our profile pictures.

I took interest in this topic because of my root cause background. We could tell everyone to stop being racist, but how many people don't know their social position was impacted by systemic racism? My goal is root cause layout of why systemic racism is so ingrained in our culture, if people know how the cause, perhaps they can reflect on their role. At the same time, African-Americans need to know as well. This is about the mindset of a nation, not one group.
    Good post! To end racism may be one of the most difficult challenges in societies. Racism hurts people and also benefits the lucky ones who were born on the right side of skin. Besides racism there is a civil war reenacted to benefit guys like Trump who bet on resentment and alternate narratives: his war on media, news, intellectuals and artists is the old resentment played again.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think it is ridiculous to expect this to happen in 12 days.
    Nancy needs to condemn Trump in the Congress no question.
    Both she and Chuck need to put a motion to the floor.
    Impose martial law on Washington until after the inauguration.
    Arrest as many rioters as possible and charge them with domestic terrorism.
    Fire the police who dropped the barricades.
    Wait until the fucker and all his munchkins are out of office (and have no immunity) then let that new AG go after them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump issued this executive order (June 26, 2020) on monuments and criminal behavior. Sentence is up to 10 years if convicted. The Capitol qualifies as a monument.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...inal-violence/
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-07-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I have understood that were he impeached he could not run for office again in four years, which seems reason enough to have a second go.
    From Article I, Section III:

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
    Not only could he never hold office of any sort again, the plain reading (although it's never been tested) is that the crimes for which he would be convicted would become non-pardonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.oann.com/rep-gaetz-highl...d-trump-march/

Hey top page of OAN, Antifa used clever mob control tactics to orchestrate the Capital Riots. Let the alt-narratives begin.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t click on that shit. Those outlets equate clicks to dollars.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    He's a martyr to his supporters either way. And this wasn't just him. Hawley and Cruz should be expelled from the Senate. McCarthy should be removed from the House. Those who incited the mob yesterday, including Guiliani, Lin Wood and Don Jr at the rally beforehand, should be charged and tried.

Without real consequences for both the architects of yesterday's insurrection and it's actual perpetrators, this will happen again.

This is fascism, and it needs to be stamped out by the branches of government now.
    As to Hawley and Cruz and the other Senators and all of those House members...(although I don't know how you unseat over 100 of them without motivating the crazies)...isn't the 14th amendment going to be invoked:

14th Amendment, Section 3....

No Person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling good about BigBill's post and in general all the discussions here despite the massive poop-show we are discussing! Thanking each of you bums.

Biden's speech today was important. In the first five mins. (I can't remember if minute or minuet is a measure of time or a musical number so fake it) he recalls for us WHY the Department of Justice was created. Also, how important is his nomination of Chief Justice today. He than ties it to the disparate treatment of BLM "Protesters" vs Capitol building "mobs". That damn near took my breath away. We have leadership.

Two bits. (singing)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-07-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    As to Hawley and Cruz and the other Senators and all of those House members...(although I don't know how you unseat over 100 of them without motivating the crazies)...isn't the 14th amendment going to be invoked:

14th Amendment, Section 3....

No Person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
    The stupidity of the Republican Party on the whole Trump disaster, i mean administration, was epic. They just self destroyed for nothing.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    The stupidity of the Republican Party on the whole Trump disaster, i mean administration, was epic. They just self destroyed for nothing.
    No sir not for nothing. That took some doing. Some years in the making. Respectfully said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    No sir not for nothing. That took some doing. Some years in the making. Respectfully said.
    They went from conservative to anarcofascists. How bad do they look now?
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does impeachment truly have to be accomplished in 12 days or whatever. Can't they get started, and reach a judgement whenever they get to that point--why would he need to still be in office? Both the GA phone call and inciting this domestics terrorism are serious enough threats to democracy and such willful violations of the constitution and his duty under it (the constitution) that it really demands impeachment.

Of course there may be some political cost, but I would always fall on the side of doing what is right on the principle for defending the constitution, versus playing some political power control strategy. We wouldn't be here if congress members had honored their oaths and stood up to lies, horrible crap like the child separations, done censure, etc previously.

I'm still processing what I witnessed yesterday. I'm sure there will be a Benghazi-level investigation to see if there was any administration and/or capitol police coordination/aiding/abetting etc; but regardless of the how they got in, I really hope they arrest and hold accountable all those who were physically struggling with law enforcement agents, climbing the building, and certainly those IN the building. I also hope they hold accountable those who incited the mob to attack the Capitol