User Tag List

Page 80 of 97 FirstFirst ... 707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 1923

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think potentially the footage doesn't show complicity with the protestors, but instead shows outnumbered cops retreating to positions where their numbers are better - more concentrated. Falling back to the doors of the Capitol perhaps. But that's just conjecture. The cops are not moving with what I would call alacrity. Not as if there were an emergency. Tells me that communication may have been non-existent or faulty. Radios should have been screaming at that point I'd think. There will undoubtedly be a hearing in Congress on the failures involved in this event, and videos like this will illustrate some of the questions asked.

Sounds too like there were a lot of drunk guys there, but then there were also several well-organized groups who were among the first to enter. They included the ransackers of some of the key Congressional offices. So some people had plans.
    Possibly.
    But taking selfie’s with the terrorists is not a great look.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife posited that this has all been a charade to allow Pence to invoke the 25th with the acquiescence of the required parties in Congress etc., become acting President and then turn around and pardon Trump. Trumps A#1 fear is prosecution evidently. Quintessential Emperor-has-no-clothes moment.

I like it as a screenplay, but I think in reality the guy is just a maniac.
    Why do i keep thinking of us domestic terrorism in the last two decades when i watch Trump supporters?
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Why do i keep thinking of us domestic terrorism in the last two decades when i watch Trump supporters?
    Because today the world watched as domestic terrorists took over the US Capitol Building. Domestic terrorists following the instructions of the sitting US President. Treason. This is one of the darkest days in US history.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Going to be real interesting watching the Republican party for the next year or so. Was this the pustule breaking and spraying them all with its contents?
    indeed, when i commented earlier that they may have had "help" getting in, I had no data. It just seemed implausible to me that given the current tension and rhetoric that it was that easy. Plus the idiot pharmacist sabotaging COVID-19 vaccines made me immediately think that within the Capitol Bldg there could be Trumpers/trumper-aligned that made it possible/easier

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think potentially the footage doesn't show complicity with the protestors, but instead shows outnumbered cops retreating to positions where their numbers are better - more concentrated. Falling back to the doors of the Capitol perhaps. But that's just conjecture. The cops are not moving with what I would call alacrity. Not as if there were an emergency.
    I don’t understand the beneficial read here. They were not under siege. As you noted they do not appear to be under any duress. Those were not barriers that they retreated from to let them breach, they literally opened the doors.

Like it was 9:00 at Disney World, or the ticket window opened for a Dave Mathews concert.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I don’t understand the beneficial read here. They were not under siege. As you noted they do not appear to be under any duress. Those were not barriers that they retreated from to let them breach, they literally opened the doors.

Like it was 9:00 at Disney World, or the ticket window opened for a Dave Mathews concert.
    I am in agreement with you. The narrative is that the cops found themselves outnumbered, abandoned barriers to take up positions closer to the Capitol building itself where their numbers were more concentrated and they could better manage the surge of the crowd. However (and maybe I should have used that word) the cops in the video aren't moving with any urgency. They aren't running to rearward positions. I've been to serious protests. When things start going sideways, you can hear the police radios light up, even when they have earpieces. I don't see anyone reaching for their ear or their chest where microphones often are. I don't see any real appearance of communication, except for the tall white guy in the ball cap who comes over and (apparently) tells them to stand down and come with him. If the police are acting with urgency, it isn't in this video.

If the cops did open the doors on the Capitol itself (I've only seen videos after the doors were already open and people were going in and out already) and just let people in, then they must have done that with orders from somewhere. And it will be interesting to know who gave those orders and what the thought process behind that order was.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-06-2021 at 11:48 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They let them in and then they let them out. You would think some arrests would be in order. I wonder why not

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/sta...67401422856192

Even holds the door for them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even as more reporting comes in, I'm still a bit flabbergasted. I'm thankful to hear the comments of Senator Romney and even Graham. Also thankful there were not typical assault rifles present, or a busloads of conveniently placed russian/chinese/other state-sponsored folks nicely camouflaged as trump supporters to run around the Capitol building with usb drives, eavesdropping devices, weapons, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bizarre. Treason. Fighting along side those who are attempting to overthrow the Government. Complete with video evidence.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Not bizarre. Treason. Fighting along side those who are attempting to overthrow the Government. Complete with video evidence.

Greg
    But that's what I think is bizarre. Why would these people think that making a video was the right thing to do? How small must their world be?

edit: Lindsey Graham can rot in hell.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-07-2021 at 12:17 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that's what I think is bizarre. Why would these people think that making a video was the right thing to do? How small must their world be?

edit: Lindsey Graham can rot in hell.
    The past four years have normalized what was once unthinkable. When all you listen to are lies 24/7, you know longer recognize truth. Their world is a tiny island of willful ignorance. And you’re spot on about Graham. The man’s spine is a Slinky.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    This is the day America as we know it died. Our nation's capital overrun by insurrectionists led by a sociopathic president. I hope his well-heeled supporters enjoy watching the markets plummet.
    Even after 2 strong days in a row, I'm willing to let the market tomorrow paint the history of the impacts from today's "insurgence"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Because you don't deny reality.

Who the hell didn't plan for this eventuality? Given Trump's inflammatory rhetoric, the tacit encouragement of his boot lickers and about half of the elected GOP, along with the previous actions of the more radical and violent Trump supporters I'd have expected a massive presence of heavily equipped law enforcement. Given our lethal force use profile I am well and truly puzzled that a whole bunch of those who over-ran the Capitol are still breathing. And why don't we employ water cannons shooting dye to enhance identification and prosecution of the rioters outside?

I see that a bunch of the GOP have come to the conclusion that they must take a firm stand against such incitement and behavior; a day late and a dollar short. WTF have they been thinking for the past four years, well, four decades is more like it, while laying the kindling for today? These people are complicit and they need to be kicked out of the House and Senate, never able to return.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty good overview of what happened and how it happened, at least at this point. We'll see where this goes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3a1_story.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    ........ never able to return.
    Unfortunately, not going to happen. As sad as that is.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best description I saw of what was going on today was “.... look out, the Gravy Seals are here!”

I thought that sort of summed it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    The best description I saw of what was going on today was “.... look out, the Gravy Seals are here!”

I thought that sort of summed it up.
    Yes, it might have been an assault lead by Meal Team 6, but they were still able to get into the Capitol without a whole lot of trouble.

What does that say about the Capitol Police? What an embarrassment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen tougher security at a Raiders game. I simply don't believe the police were putting forth a good faith effort to stop that breach. The only question is whether it was due to individuals in the ranks or a larger planned effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

long day, but at least the necessary and perfunctory process of the day is done at last. I hope it isn't a long 2 weeks