User Tag List

Page 54 of 97 FirstFirst ... 444546474849505152535455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1923

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Donald is actually not very bright.
    He gives the impression that he is not bright enough to realise that he is not very bright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeSantis - A Trump wannabe. So is Tom Cotton.

DeSantis wants to expand Florida's stand your ground law. Fuckers like him want to start a war; if they wanted to solve the problems that attend our 400 or so years of racism and Jim Crow (all versions), they'd be addressing the obvious root causes....but that would require facing up to some ugly realities and challenging some long held myths.

Welcome to the future: https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...das-stand-your

We are on the precipice of a new, dark age of white nationalism.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's wind down the language here. Serious issues, serious language, serious discussion but let's wean ourselves off the negative energy of creative naming/name calling and "blue" language.

Violators will be asked nicely to contribute one on-topic cycling-or-framebuilding-related thread per curse word to further the efforts of this forum to bring back the elegance.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Violators will be asked nicely to contribute one on-topic cycling-or-framebuilding-related thread per curse word to further the efforts of this forum to bring back the elegance.
    Cursing aside, I've always felt like this should be the minimum cost of entry to the political threads, this after all, being a bike message board...
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The latest "Fresh Air" on NPR was fascinating. Terry Gross interviewed Politico's, Garrett Graff on the "Potential Mischief" the administration could cause in the next couple months. I didn't catch all of it, but I'll listen to rest this evening when I get home. Some of it comical, and some of it terrifying, but worth a listen for sure.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    The latest "Fresh Air" on NPR was fascinating. Terry Gross interviewed Politico's, Garrett Graff on the "Potential Mischief" the administration could cause in the next couple months. I didn't catch all of it, but I'll listen to rest this evening when I get home. Some of it comical, and some of it terrifying, but worth a listen for sure.
    I caught part of it too; very interesting and very worrisome, as is this: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...cans-democrats
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's wind down the language here. Serious issues, serious language, serious discussion but let's wean ourselves off the negative energy of creative naming/name calling and "blue" language.

Regarding swearing, and apologies for the slight digression, back in the 1930s there was a particularly spiteful Ashes test series between Australia and England. Australia with Bradman as the best batsman in the world were playing at home. The English devised a way to combat Australia, and Bradman in particular, and that was to bowl short and aimed at the body. With a ring of fielders on the leg side if the batter attempted to fend off the ball they ran the risk of being caught at leg side. This tactic proved to be successful as well as causing bruising and injury to the Australian batsman. The top fast bowler for the English and the English Captain funnily enough copped it from the Australian crowd. On one memorable occasion, the English Captain came to the Australian dressing room after play to complain that he had been called a bastard on the field by one of the Australian players. As the story goes, the Australian Captain turned to his players and said "which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

The point being that sometimes colourful adjectives are justified and not necessarily out of place even when the topic is serious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Trump just wants to knock Biden off his feet."

That's it in a nutshell. Like Mary Decker trying to spike Zola Budd's bare feet in the Olympics.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Regarding swearing, and apologies for the slight digression, back in the 1930s there was a particularly spiteful Ashes test series between Australia and England. Australia with Bradman as the best batsman in the world were playing at home. The English devised a way to combat Australia, and Bradman in particular, and that was to bowl short and aimed at the body. With a ring of fielders on the leg side if the batter attempted to fend off the ball they ran the risk of being caught at leg side. This tactic proved to be successful as well as causing bruising and injury to the Australian batsman. The top fast bowler for the English and the English Captain funnily enough copped it from the Australian crowd. On one memorable occasion, the English Captain came to the Australian dressing room after play to complain that he had been called a bastard on the field by one of the Australian players. As the story goes, the Australian Captain turned to his players and said "which one of you bastards called this bastard a bastard?"

The point being that sometimes colourful adjectives are justified and not necessarily out of place even when the topic is serious.
    You may need to explain to those not residing in a Commonwealth Nation just WTF Ashes is. I have nariest of clues about this silly colonial game of yours (all in good jest).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    .......provided he does not decamp for a country with no extradition.
    Maybe North Korea would work out for him.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

food for thought:

Can History Predict the Future?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...future/616993/
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

Here is the "bastard" scene from a TV series made back in the 1980s of the Bodyline test series. You may recognise the actor playing the English Captain as Mr Smith from the Matrix or Elrond from Lord of the Rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this song.

Summer 1932 and Captain Douglas had a plan
    When Larwood bowled to Bradman it was more than man to man
    And staid Adelaide nearly boiled over as rage ruled over sense
    When Oldfield hit the ground they nearly jumped the fence
    Now Bill Woodfull was as fine a man as ever went to wicket
    And the bruises on his body that day showed that he could stick it
    But to this day he's still quoted and only he could wear it
    "There's two teams out there today and only one of them's playing cricket."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck Donald Trump.

Okay, hit me, where do I ask about the difference between Crumpton's T5 and SL?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Fuck Donald Trump.

You can post over in Nick's Smoked Out or in the Crumpton gallery or you could even create a new thread in the General category. But I'd go for the Smoked Out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

Here is the "bastard" scene from a TV series made back in the 1980s of the Bodyline test series. You may recognise the actor playing the English Captain as Mr Smith from the Matrix or Elrond from Lord of the Rings.

Loved it when I first saw it and it still makes me laugh out loud!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    I caught part of it too; very interesting and very worrisome, as is this: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...cans-democrats
    I think the Guardian article will turn out to be wide of the mark.

Trump's chance of putting up enough cover to get away with making a travesty of the electoral process depended on him having all of his former boosters singing from sheet. He doesn't appear to have Murdoch on board at this stage and the prospect of Trump's ouster being seen to follow from Murdoch's withdrawal of support is likely to prove very seductive so he's unlikely to get it now. The twitter tirades appear to confirm this.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I think the Guardian article will turn out to be wide of the mark.

Trump's chance of putting up enough cover to get away with making a travesty of the electoral process depended on him having all of his former boosters singing from sheet. He doesn't appear to have Murdoch on board at this stage and the prospect of Trump's ouster being seen to follow from Murdoch's withdrawal of support is likely to prove very seductive so he's unlikely to get it now. The twitter tirades appear to confirm this.

Because there is no recent precedent, most people assume it can't happen. The real issue is no one has tried in the modern era, and Trump is going to try.
    You can think of it as a new pandemic. In Feb when everyone knew about COVID, because we never had a global pandemic in the modern era, the financials markets could not imagine it, and ignored it. Then presto- it happened and panic.

The democrats see the lawsuits as comical and with little chance of success. The lawsuits are classic Trump nuisance lawsuits and an abuse of a the system. The purpose is to just to delay/prevent certification until December 14th. At this point, no outcome from the vote, so no 'will of the people' therefore the State Legislatures can step in and nominate the delegates. (Actually this will happen 6 days prior) The process is then no longer a legal proceeding and becomes political. The state legislatures are republican dominated in these states.

The option may be just to gum up the electoral college enough, that the final vote goes to the house of representatives to decide. The problem here is each states gets one vote as representatives must vote as a bloc. Republicans hold 28 states even though the democrats hold a majority in representatives. At this point, Trump will win. The last time this happened was 1824.

Because Trump is a shameless individual, he would actually feel very proud to win like this because winning is the only result.

Is this far fetched, maybe, but this has been the doomsday scenario since early Spring when Trump began laying the ground work for discrediting the vote.

On a funny but sad note, I woke up this morning and turned on BBC news. I'm listening to a news report about disenfranchising millions of votes because of race, and other voting irregularities. I was wondering what Trump had done overnight now so started listening closely. The story was actually about how Aung San Suu Kyi had just stolen the election for another 5 years in Myanmar.

1. When Aung San Suu Kyi won the Noble all those years ago, who'd have thought she'd become a autocrat who steals elections?
    2. You can confuse a news story on a third world corrupt nations election for an election in America?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Fuck Donald Trump.

Trick question. They are the same bike...la Tigre and blue steel...
    It’s the the T5-SL and its magnificent
    https://www.crumptoncycles.com/crump...uperlight.html

Oh yeah. Fuck Trump.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Love this song.

Summer 1932 and Captain Douglas had a plan
    When Larwood bowled to Bradman it was more than man to man
    And staid Adelaide nearly boiled over as rage ruled over sense
    When Oldfield hit the ground they nearly jumped the fence
    Now Bill Woodfull was as fine a man as ever went to wicket
    And the bruises on his body that day showed that he could stick it
    But to this day he's still quoted and only he could wear it
    "There's two teams out there today and only one of them's playing cricket."
    Paul Kelly !!!

I have a bunch of his albums. Great stuff.