User Tag List

Page 46 of 97 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Park Slope (Brooklyn) going bananas right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran into the celebration on the main drag in my Boston neighborhood. Centered, poignantly, at the Soldiers' Memorial.

So many happy, noisy people. It was communal, it was joyous.

It was great.

I teared up.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I ran into the celebration on the main drag in my Boston neighborhood. Centered, poignantly, at the Soldiers' Memorial.

It was great.

I teared up.
    That´s the way it should be: love and hope, not selfish paranoia/xenophobia/ isolationism/ armed to the teeth.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post

It was great.

I teared up.
    I’m so happy for the good folks in the US!! When the border opens again I can’t wait to come for a visit!! 4 years is a long stretch to refuse to cross a border just because of an a-hole President. I’m having a beer and toasting the US tonight. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Is Trump going to jail? Where is the limit to destroying the GOP credibility?
    It won't be federal charges. He's likely to attempt a self pardon in his last days in office. I also would be surprised if a Biden DoJ pursued anything as that would go pretty far in spoiling the return to civility that Biden is calling for. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some members of his inner circle are brought up on some kind of election related charges. There's been a lot of obvious misappropriation of government resources.

That said, the State of New York is running an active investigation. It's likely he's going to be found guilty of something. Even a minor felony with no jail time would disqualify him from holding higher office ever again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    Even a minor felony with no jail time would disqualify him from holding higher office ever again...
    https://www.usa.gov/presidents#:~:te...r%2014%20years.

Requirements to Hold Office
    According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution, the president must be a natural-born citizen of the United States,
    be at least 35 years old, and have been a resident of the United States for 14 years.
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    https://www.usa.gov/presidents#:~:te...r%2014%20years.

Requirements to Hold Office
    According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution, the president must be a natural-born citizen of the United States,
    be at least 35 years old, and have been a resident of the United States for 14 years.
    You're correct. Many states, including Florida and New York have laws preventing felons for running for office. I mistakenly believed this also applied to federal offices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll comment when I'm sober.
    Whoopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is now time to help elect the two Democratic senators involved in the run-off in Georgia.

It is vital to get a 50-50 Senate or else McConnell will do exactly to Biden what he did to Obama.

Volunteer your time, expertise or $$, but do something. Together we can do this.

https://www.georgiademocrat.org/
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made conservatives cry again.
    Last edited by guido; 11-08-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Made conservatives cry again.
    There are many of us who self-identify as conservatives and want nothing to do with Trump, nor with his angry white nationalist populism.
    We aren't crying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    There are many of us who self-identify as conservatives and want nothing to do with Trump, nor with his angry white nationalist populism.
    We aren't crying.
    Absolutely on point.
    Stick around.
    Now let's talk comity across the aisle and legislation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like Trump is now ranting into the void and his ability to sow doubt is gone. Going to play golf yesterday, seems like a tell...

This must be what it was like after Edward R Murrow took down Joe McCarthy during the Red Scare. Once the bully fear monger was exposed, his power to scare evaporated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    It seems like Trump is now ranting into the void and his ability to sow doubt is gone. Going to play golf yesterday, seems like a tell...

This must be what it was like after Edward R Murrow took down Joe McCarthy during the Red Scare. Once the bully fear monger was exposed, his power to scare evaporated.
    Ginning up new Nicknames is time consuming.

Let's think about which countries do not have extradition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

Bully is the key word. Like all bullies, once his nose is bloodied he will skulk back to his safe place. He will continue to Tweet ad nauseum, but otherwise will be as neutered as a steer at the slaughterhouse. It will be interesting to see if the Republican Party continues to endorse Trumpism, or if he is pushed to the curb like last week’s trash.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Bully is the key word. Like all bullies, once his nose is bloodied he will skulk back to his safe place. He will continue to Tweet ad nauseum, but otherwise will be as neutered as a steer at the slaughterhouse. It will be interesting to see if the Republican Party continues to endorse Trumpism, or if he is pushed to the curb like last week’s trash.

Greg
    I fear the hothead talkers at Fox won’t back down. This includes people like Dobbs, Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham. They are a disease and I’d like to see them diminished as well. That kind of rhetoric is what created the climate in which Trump was even possible. They’re only a small step removed from these Q weirdos.

There is a place for intellectually honest conservatism but people like these aren’t intellectual, honest or conservative. And they have sown fear and distrust of valuable institutions and norms. I hope a network like Fox neuters their BS rhetoric.

Deep State my ass....
    Last edited by Saab2000; 11-08-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I fear the hothead talkers at Fox won’t back down. This includes people like Dobbs, Carlson, Hannity and Ingraham. They are a disease and I’d like to see them diminished as well. That kind of rhetoric is what created the climate in which Trump was even possible. They’re only a small step removed from these Q weirdos.

There is a place for intellectually honest conservatism but people like these aren’t intellectual, honest or conservative. And they have sown fear and distrust of valuable institutions and norms. I hope a network like Fox neuters their BS rhetoric. Deep State my ass....
    The Fox Fool Brigade staffers don’t have to believe in anything other than a celebrity paycheck, as those folks make a pretty penny broadcasting their message of fear and division and the advertising dollars must be there to support the salaries.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

There is a place for intellectually honest conservatism but people like these aren’t intellectual, honest or conservative. And they have sown fear and distrust of valuable institutions and norms. I hope a network like Fox neuters their BS rhetoric.

Deep State my ass....
    Very well stated! It’s even worse when you add in all the internet conspiracy sites masquerading as news. Propagandist like Del Bigtree do incalculable damage by promoting lies and half-truths. Until there are legal repercussions for news outlets and public websites that spew lies, division will continue to be sown.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    We aren't crying.
    Exactly. Trump stole the conservative handle for his paranoid populism; he brought an agenda made of opinions and ideology to gop just like an extreme left Gop would do. True conservatism is the opposite; it is a neutral stance when managing institutions with strict follow up to the constitution. The far right and far left have much more in common than w/ true conservatism.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Exactly. Trump stole the conservative handle for his paranoid populism; he brought an agenda made of opinions and ideology to gop just like an extreme left Gop would do. True conservatism is the opposite; it is a neutral stance when managing institutions with strict follow up to the constitution. The far right and far left have much more in common than w/ true conservatism.
    I'm sure that is accurate. He is just the natural result of the party which started with the animosity of Newt Gingrich in the 90's, the tea party post-financial crisis leading to Trump and QAnon.

Newt Gingrich was on FOX News saying the election was stolen and was financed by people like George Soros. I think the last bastion of true conservatism probably passed away with John McCain. Even the National Review which was the standard bearer for conservatism is Trumpier....