User Tag List

Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

I listened briefly to NPR interview prospective voters, and shook my head at some of the comments. Marxism? Communism?

egad

Time to go ride in the woods.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you think that willful ignorance and marginalization of experts is solely America and Trump,

"Former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith wrote in the UK's Telegraph newspaper that the month-long lockdown showed government was "giving in to the scientific advisers," claiming that government experts had "pressurised" Johnson into the step."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/01/uk/uk...ntl/index.html
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Just keep in mind, these tactics are just the openers. They are saving the real nasty stuff for when they are desperate.
    you may very well like to think that, I couldn't possibly comment

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    In case you think that willful ignorance and marginalization of experts is solely America and Trump,

"Former Conservative leader Iain Duncan Smith wrote in the UK's Telegraph newspaper that the month-long lockdown showed government was "giving in to the scientific advisers," claiming that government experts had "pressurised" Johnson into the step."

They did elect a swine defiler to the highest office of the land, and followed it up with a clown...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think of myself as a well informed person but at this point I have to stop any more political information intake(all media forms) until after election day, quite frankly it's just too stressful/depressing. After Nov 3 I'll re engage, ready to take on the shit show, but for now that's it.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    I think of myself as a well informed person but at this point I have to stop any more political information intake(all media forms) until after election day, quite frankly it's just too stressful/depressing. After Nov 3 I'll re engage, ready to take on the shit show, but for now that's it.
    Wow you lasted a lot longer than I did. I tuned out in early October...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to laugh out loud this morning at the hypocrisy of the beliefs of (unfortunately) many. I spotted a tRump banner while on my zen ride that read...”Promises made Promises Kept”. I guess that I interpreted the sign to read that he promised to be an A-Hole and that he clearly delivered his promise beyond anyone’s expectations. The power of positive thinking.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched The Plot Against the President on Prime Video. Very sobering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post

I wish I could be confident that this was the end of that
    https://www.texastribune.org/2020/11...harris-county/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    My neck is getting thick from all the head shaking. I'll switch to "Scooby whaaaaat" for a change.

No doubt we can look forward to full dockets of much needed reforms. This administration has created (cough) a target rich environment.

*BTW while you were wasting your time reading this forum Dr. Strangelove was on the tube. It's like deja vu all over again.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-01-2020 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a UK resident with a 2nd home on the continent. We are in full national lockdown (in England) from 1201 Wed night. Somewhat bizarrely, the US election is not the lead story here, knocked off by the virus and Brexit. I shall be listening to BBC radio for US news - can some one tell me please roughly when a result might be out, or at lease a reliable steer given as to which way it is going. Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    I am a UK resident with a 2nd home on the continent. We are in full national lockdown (in England) from 1201 Wed night. Somewhat bizarrely, the US election is not the lead story here, knocked off by the virus and Brexit. I shall be listening to BBC radio for US news - can some one tell me please roughly when a result might be out, or at lease a reliable steer given as to which way it is going. Many thanks
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...esults-timing/

The long answer.

I plan to get up at 5 a.m. in London to see what is happening. If you have a decisive margin, you get a result early and probably sometime between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. GMT.

If the race is tight, you go to a Bush - Gore scenario and you will move to manual recount and finally to Judicial Time- (slow)

Cbsnews.com has a live stream available for free and they will have full coverage if the BBC fails to impress you.

I suspect if close, the Trump strategy will be:
    1. ask for recount
    2. hope to throw out mail-in ballots
    3. litigate and postpone a decision at the state level
    4. agitate state legislatures to appoint delegates because the vote was tainted. (Trump's litigation strategy is usually to run out the clock)

Biden's strategy in a recount is to keep mail-in ballots. Litigate and postpone for President Pelosi

I plan to stop at Evans today and get some chain lube, wash and extra tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Yeah, same here. I've become pretty fatalistic about it, like being caught in the impact zone when the clean-up set comes through. Chill, manage it, survive it and then take a foamball to the beach for a little rest.

There is a certain comfort in it.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barry Blitt in the current New Yorker

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...esults-timing/

The long answer.

I plan to get up at 5 a.m. in London to see what is happening. If you have a decisive margin, you get a result early and probably sometime between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. GMT.

If the race is tight, you go to a Bush - Gore scenario and you will move to manual recount and finally to Judicial Time- (slow)

Cbsnews.com has a live stream available for free and they will have full coverage if the BBC fails to impress you.

I suspect if close, the Trump strategy will be:
    1. ask for recount
    2. hope to throw out mail-in ballots
    3. litigate and postpone a decision at the state level
    4. agitate state legislatures to appoint delegates because the vote was tainted. (Trump's litigation strategy is usually to run out the clock)

Biden's strategy in a recount is to keep mail-in ballots. Litigate and postpone for President Pelosi

I plan to stop at Evans today and get some chain lube, wash and extra tubes.
    Yesterday a friend and I did a really great gravel ride. We both agreed how nice it was for our anxieties to spend the day on the bike. I've never seen the likes of political signs and flags anywhere, certainly not rural America. But I focused on enjoying my ride and didn't let it get me down. Fella in the red hat liked to burn a hole through me as I stood and ordered my food at the hole in the wall. But I gave him a sincere smile and didn't let it get me down. 55 miles of gravel, much of it 20-30mph headwinds, and most of the rest ripping crosswinds. It just meant we were slower; I didn't let it get me down.

But, I listened to this from Radiolab on my way home. Talk about a buzzkill. https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...ticles/what-if

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A sign of hope in my little corner of the world. My wife's uncle is a lifelong Republican. I am (was?) too, but can no longer stomach the current version of the party. A few summers ago, the uncle and I had a heated argument about his continued support for Trump. We've politely kept our distance ever since. Today, he posted this on a social media site. I hope other people are having similar changes of heart as they vote.

Greg

UB.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post

Just keep in mind, these tactics are just the openers. They are saving the real nasty stuff for when they are desperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    A sign of hope in my little corner of the world. My wife's uncle is a lifelong Republican. I am (was?) too, but can no longer stomach the current version of the party. A few summers ago, the uncle and I had a heated argument about his continued support for Trump. We've politely kept our distance ever since. Today, he posted this on a social media site. I hope other people are having similar changes of heart as they vote.

Greg

UB.JPG
    I did see a "Republican for Biden" sign next to a "Veteran for Biden" sign while I was riding in rural Wisconsin on Saturday, albeit the locale is still in the same county as Madison is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fellowpicker View Post
    Just watched The Plot Against the President on Prime Video. Very sobering.
    Give me a f-cking break. The Senate report..the Republican controlled Senate...stated very clearly that Russia worked to influence the campaign. And how many of trump's campaign staff have arrested on or convicted of felonies related to the 2016 campaign? Six.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our pantry is stocked.
    So is the bar.
    Shades are drawn.
    Car is parked in a locked garage.
    All the stores are boarded up again.
    Pretty sure it's going to be a shitshow in my neighborhood come Wednesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ain’t this some shit-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)