User Tag List

Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Political Chatter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now he's heading to Water Reed. Probably just to get a head start on his next physical. Or it's a helluva speed bump on that whole rounding the curve thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    you aren't in Australia, are you? I just drove from CA to MD and back--there is a pretty WIDE variation in who is taking precautions, so I'd think flu will be present in many areas. Hopefully ENOUGH individuals ARE continuing the hygiene precautions, which will definitely reduce the burden. I was just curious as to the vaccine rate in Australia because I still know several individuals who refuse to get flu shots...
    Purely anecdotally I’d say there was a much higher uptake than normal for the flu vaccine amongst the elderly based on the actions of my parents and their friends. Young and middle aged I didn’t see any change.

Based on my undoubted expertise in the field, I’d say it’s a lot more to do with distancing, not touching your face, washing your hands A LOT and hand sanitizing before grabbing a shopping trolley
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe the vaccine has high effectiveness this year-any idea what % of the population got the vaccine?
    About 50% but it reaches near 100% in the most vulnerable groups as the vaccine is free for them via a government heath program.

Flu vaccine effectiveness varies between 30 and 60 %, eg a person who has been vaccinated is between 30 and 60% less likely to develop flu than one who has. The reduction in flu numbers for 2020 post March vs the lowest recent season shown above (2018) is about 98% so that is unlikely to be the cause.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Based on my undoubted expertise in the field, I’d say it’s a lot more to do with distancing, not touching your face, washing your hands A LOT and hand sanitizing before grabbing a shopping trolley
    Yes. In Melbourne people haven't been jammed in public transport since late March and not working in close proximity to one another in an office. That's got to go a long way to explaining lower flu numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    About 50% but it reaches near 100% in the most vulnerable groups as the vaccine is free for them via a government heath program.

Flu vaccine effectiveness varies between 30 and 60 %, eg a person who has been vaccinated is between 30 and 60% less likely to develop flu than one who has. The reduction in flu numbers for 2020 post March vs the lowest recent season shown above (2018) is about 98% so that is unlikely to be the cause.
    thank you--it sounds as if your citizens are overall more adherent to recommendations for hygiene than here. On my recent trip across the USA, lots of NO-maskers, lots of masks with noses exposed, guys not washing hands in the restrooms where i stopped, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you--it sounds as if your citizens are overall more adherent to recommendations for hygiene than here. On my recent trip across the USA, lots of NO-maskers, lots of masks with noses exposed, guys not washing hands in the restrooms where i stopped, etc...
    I did a bike tour through Michigan a couple weeks ago. Any time we went through a town to resupply it was kind of stunning to see the signs telling people about the mask mandate, but also that if you had a "medical condition" you were exempt from it, and they weren't going to ask what your medical condition was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, we have our share of covidiots.

Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    ... are all that matters. McConnell, the GOP and Trump will be laser focused on getting her confirmed. Nothing else matters to them at this point. I will be surprised if we begin 2021 without "Justice Barrett" on the bench (but then five years ago I would have said the same thing about Donald fucking Trump actually getting elected president). It will be the capstone of McConnell's hopefully-soon-to-be-ended political career.
    If Lee and Tillis can't be on the floor for the vote, this throws McConnells 50 votes he needs into doubt before the election. Now, all bets are off for the lame duck session before the new year, but it only gets harder to confirm from here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    Remember when he had mistresses sprinkled throughout the Italian gov't? His reign was like a low quality show on late nite cable TV, but it felt like someone had written a script, at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Oh, we have our share of covidiots.

It's staggering how ignorant people are of how society actually functions with regard to rights and freedoms.
    Owners of private property also have rights.

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be funny that she thinks treating everyone the same, requiring a mask, is "discrimination".
    She was kinda correct about that last part though.. "it is my right as a living woman to do whatever I want". lol.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that kills me is she filmed herself doing this.

See you next Tuesday.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a late afternoon bicycle ride which took me past the kerfuffle in front of Walter Reed Hospital. Honestly, I've attended nearly every version of protest in DC from Promise Keepers to Million Man to Million Woman. This protest (?) had a confusing message. Gotta say the loud country muzak they were playing while waving MAGA signage was catchy. Not sure what the message they were trying to convey. Heck, if I was advising that bunch I'd have handed out lots of candles and hot tea. Isn't that how you confer a somber respect for wellness????

The above (snark) is the opinion of this writer alone is in no way reflective of the tone and tenor which is Vsalon LLC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best part for me is the news outlets, granted I mostly listen to leftist NPR while rolling, refer to That Guy as obese.. they keep making sure we understand the risk factors for him are his age and his obesity.. I have heard the term obese more in the past 24 hours than in the past year. You know that shit drive this fella nuts..

So healthy, the best health..
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    The best part for me is the news outlets, granted I mostly listen to leftist NPR while rolling, refer to That Guy as obese.. they keep making sure we understand the risk factors for him are his age and his obesity.. I have heard the term obese more in the past 24 hours than in the past year. You know that shit drive this fella nuts..

So healthy, the best health..
    He's also poor. Don't forget that. The trifecta of risk factors. Some would call them pre-existing conditions.

And my friend, NPR is not leftist. You may have been saying that tongue in cheek, and forgive me if I whooshed it, but go read some TruthDig, Jacobin, TheBaffler, etc. - even CommonDreams - or DemocracyNow. NPR is just basic polite media for the mild-mannered masses.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    He's also poor. Don't forget that. The trifecta of risk factors. Some would call them pre-existing conditions.

And my friend, NPR is not leftist. You may have been saying that tongue in cheek, and forgive me if I whooshed it, but go read some TruthDig, Jacobin, TheBaffler, etc. - even CommonDreams - or DemocracyNow. NPR is just basic polite media for the mild-mannered masses.
    npr 40+ years ago had some teeth.
    they now knaw with gums only.
    David Brooks style.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I requested an absentee ballot (I live in PA where this is quite a process) and it arrived yesterday. I subsequently completed the form, confirmed all of the procedures and I took special pleasure, mailing the ballot at a rural post office, which is right in the heart of tRump country. I’m thinking of getting more ballots, because I recall our infected leader asking the public to vote as often as we want, in order to “test the system”.
    The City of Madison (aka Berkeley of the Midwest, the People's Republic, 70 square miles surrounded by reality, etc.) had an initiative called Democracy in the Parks, where officials from the City Clerk's office would collect filled-out mail-in ballots from most of the parks in Madison over two Saturdays. Someone (and by someone, I mean cynical GOP operatives) sent cease-and-desist letters to the City Clerk's office, giving the pretense that ballots collected may be invalidated.

We were originally planning on dropping off my wife's ballot at a park literally less than 0.25 miles from where we live, but this "legal challenge" effectively stopped us from doing so. No matter, I'll drop off her ballot via another means that isn't being legally challenged, and I'll still show up to vote in person on election day, crawling over if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Nate Silver / fivethirtyeight.com Missouri, where I live, is a pink state where Trump is forecast to win by 10% points. Nevertheless, unless I am deathly ill, I will vote in person on Nov. 3 and proudly cast a ballot for Joe Biden.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    The thing that kills me is she filmed herself doing this.

See you next Tuesday.
    AND thought sharing it with the world was a good idea...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

I was 100% ‘tongue in cheek’, I was more or less quoting my father in regards to NPR. Its the voice I listen to no matter where I am.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips