User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Changes that will be sticky & changes that will snap back post-pandemic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Changes that will be sticky & changes that will snap back post-pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The other really interesting point is people are not taking public transport, so some people are trying to commute in London by car.
    Changes to transportation habits seem like an area that's likely to be sticky beyond the pandemic. Our transit here is basically empty, and the perception among commuters I know is that it's become much less safe. Used car sales are booming in response. Once folks have a car and parking, driving feels like the path of least resistance.

Reconsidering transit will probably mostly happen for those folks when they need a new car, or traffic simply becomes unbearable. I'm also concerned that we're reverting to some of the "bad old days of the late '90s" (and 80s) by prioritizing the privatization of space in durable ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Changes that will be sticky & changes that will snap back post-pandemic

And also ticket revenues and tax revenues are cratering, creating giant budget shortfalls that many mass transit systems will find difficult to overcome, which will result is less maintenance, fewer buses/trains, less service, etc. ever downward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our local library has really stepped up its game. You search and order online. They pick them out and put them aside, you just pop in and pick them up. Awesome.

During lockdown, they’d deliver them to your door.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if there's a wave of post-pandemic entrepreneurship coming.

I've been talking with a number of folks recently (admittedly not at all a representative sample) who are planning to strike out on their own once the world starts reverting to normal. Virtual work during the pandemic has made them realize that they can create value independent of their employer, and they've been able to start laying the groundwork for their own businesses to capture that value.

On a related note, today Inside Higher Ed is reporting a survey showing that 48% of early career faculty are considering leaving their jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JPMorgan just announced that they're bringing their class of summer interns to the office fully in-person: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/16/b...to-office.html

From the Times:

Big banks, more than many other industries, have been eager to re-establish some level of in-office working, but are wrestling with when and how to do it. Leaders like Jamie Dimon, JPMorgan’s chief executive, and David Solomon, his counterpart at Goldman Sachs, have expressed worries that prolonged remote working could hurt businesses like trading and fray corporate cultures.

“This is not ideal for us and it’s not a new normal,” Mr. Solomon said at an industry conference in February. “It’s an aberration that we are going to correct as quickly as possible.”
    My employer is starting to message a return to normal, with a full expectation of pre-pandemic norms by Labor Day.

What are you folks seeing in your worlds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    My employer is starting to message a return to normal, with a full expectation of pre-pandemic norms by Labor Day.

What are you folks seeing in your worlds?
    My employer is engaging our employees to see what the "new normal" looks like. COVID proved to us that all employees do not have to be in one of our offices. We were just starting to see Work From Home (WFH) as an option pre-COVID. Now we're embracing a mix of work in our facilities (for those who need to work with hardware products in manufacturing, test, and integrated logistics support), WFH, and hybrids of the two. There will undoubtedly be challenges, but there also will be benefits. For example, we have a better chance of hiring/retaining outstanding employees who don't want to live in the country's snowiest major city. Instead of spending $$ on office space, we can expand labs and test facilities. I'm cautiously optimistic about the "new normal."

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We stayed open during Covid since we're a critical industry (construction). As the chief engineer, I added countermeasures such as doubling the air turnover, moving equipment for social distancing between employees, touchless bathrooms, two-way swinging doors, and IR cameras to check temps as folks show up. I don't see any of that changing in the next 12 months. Most will stay or at least retain the capacity.

What my counterparts and I determined is the non-contribution by folks who normally work in the headquarters building. They've been working from home while all the plants stayed open. The plants supported each other, exchanged parts, did conference calls to bring experts to a problem, and learned to program CNC milling machines. We all feel like ungrateful colonists who realized they don't need the home office.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently had an inspiring conversation with someone who's switching to full remote work. Younger kids than mine, doesn't want to miss their childhood.

My kids are older, and I like in-person time with coworkers, but I also like a power nap when it's possible. I'm thinking 50-60% in-person attendance may be a new normal that I try on for size.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My employer, a major Canadian bank, has just sold their call center facility where I live. Almost 1000 people used to work there but they have all been provided with laptops and all the extra (including dual monitors) goodies to go along, ARUBA networking access points, and a quarterly budget for 'office accessories' to make WFH their permanent new arrangement.

I predicted this on page 1 and now its come true. We aren't going back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No indication by my employer (gov agency) that we're going back anytime soon. My partner's employer (large NGO) has closed their downtown office and is looking at opening small satellite offices scattered around the greater bay area as an alternative, with no indication yet of any mandatory office time. So we haven't seen any sign we're going back to normal.

I did see a story in the Guardian (I think) about Goldman Sachs employees asking for a 80-hr per week cap on working hours. With that kind of work culture, I'm not surprised the bosses want butts in seats. Competition and control must be a big part of that unhealthy culture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're still in a holding pattern. We reopened our headquarters and tech center in the summer with the understanding that you're free to come in and get stuff done if you need or want to. Or you can stay home.

I go in a few days a week for partial days to get stuff done in our test labs. Some guys go into the office every day to avoid distractions at home. Many people don't go into the office at all.

I would suspect we'll mostly be back in the office late summer once vaccination rates are leveled off.

Incidentally, one of my (now former) colleagues felt it was an ethical thing to do to sell his house and move to Florida without telling anyone. It's a shame we only found out after he gave his notice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar to previous posters. Despite Texas' YEE-HAW! ITS OVER! stance on the pandemic, my employer has made absolutely no move towards putting butts back in chairs. The offices are open to use if you want to go there. From what I hear there are a handful of regulars who prefer to go into the office. The overwhelming majority of employees seem to be very happy to work from home, myself included. We've had a great year, in terms of profitability, so I'm sure the bean counters are happy with it too. I'd be shocked if they're not thinking about moving to a long term work from home-ish model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    I did see a story in the Guardian (I think) about Goldman Sachs employees asking for a 80-hr per week cap on working hours. With that kind of work culture, I'm not surprised the bosses want butts in seats. Competition and control must be a big part of that unhealthy culture.
    It's the discretionary bonus your boss has say over at the end of the year that gives the control. They don't need your butt in a seat. They want your hands on a keyboard doing the busy work of modifying the presentation for the nth time for really teeny edits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the discretionary bonus your boss has say over at the end of the year that gives the control. They don't need your butt in a seat. They want your hands on a keyboard doing the busy work of modifying the presentation for the nth time for really teeny edits.
    Just like some ad agencies. I hope the bonuses are better.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens to the puppies that have grown to be dogs when the newbie owners realize they can't take them on vacation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully the owners pay to see a board certified veterinary behaviorist to deal with the dog's newfound separation anxiety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like De Blasio is calling all NYC workers back to the office by May 4, virus and school closures be damned. Clearly throwing a bone to big real estate. Does that guy do anything besides eff up all over the place during this pandemic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Sounds like De Blasio is calling all NYC workers back to the office by May 4, virus and school closures be damned. Clearly throwing a bone to big real estate. Does that guy do anything besides eff up all over the place during this pandemic?
    Only the 80,000 public workers for the city. He has nothing to do with the private sector. He is trying to show how much better he is than CUOMO now that CUOMO has a problem... The guy can't help himself since absolutely everything for him is political.
    (This is not a pay to play move by him)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    ....Not really sure what they do at this point. I think the pandemic has made us question the value of a home office versus a "lead facility" that has larger engineering, accounting, etc, departments but still makes a product. There isn't value added by a pretty building that is entirely overhead.
    Ding, Ding, Ding!!! The work from home movement is going to make it that much more clear what jobs are not needed and make it even easier to eliminate them. Robots are coming, but not to take over manual labor jobs, they are coming to take over administrative jobs. If your job involves being on a computer all day, enjoy it while it last. COVID will just make the transition faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only the 80,000 public workers for the city. He has nothing to do with the private sector. He is trying to show how much better he is than CUOMO now that CUOMO has a problem... The guy can't help himself since absolutely everything for him is political.
    (This is not a pay to play move by him)
    Yes, public city workers, but he said something along the lines of "sending the message that NYC is open for business". Hopefully private sector is smart enough to not follow his lead.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast