Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default gluten/lactose free

sorry everyone I am a frequent reader (and rider) but infrequent poster, as most people know more than me. My daughters (18 and 21) have recently been told they are intolerant to this stuff. Recipes anyone? They will be self catering at separate UK universities. I plan to buy them a really good wok each, as you can do almost anything in a good wok and they are easy to clean. Of course I have read up on the internet but any individual experiences are better. thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: gluten/lactose free

Not exactly what you asked for, but as cuisines go, Asian cuisines (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc.) are naturally gluten- and dairy-free, so I find that I don’t feel as if I’m missing something when I eat those foods as complete meals (vs., say, a gluten- and dairy-free pizza).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill is right, Asian is the way to go. You are just replacing wheat with rice. If you can, buy a rice cooker. It just makes rice better and cleans up easier than a pot. You really want to buy your rice in an Asian Supermarket. If you are in central London, go to the Japanese Centre on Haymarket. They have good selection of rice. The stuff Sainesbury/Tescos sells is criminal.

Instead of a sandwich, think Onigiri (rice balls). You get rice, dried seaweed, and any number of yummy ingredients placed inside. I tend to prefer Salmon in one, and umeboshi (pickled plum) in the other. It's nice.

Being able to make fried rice is a no brainer. You can also make Indonesian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng) one of the great comfort foods in my opinion.

Tofu with ground ginger, chopped shiso and a little soy sauce is always good.
    Vietnamese Summer Spring rolls are rolled in rice paper and if you get some boiled shrimp , super easy to make. You can also use pork, duck, whatever.

We eat a lot of grilled fish , rice and miso soup.

Pub food? Bangers and Mash instead of a pint of bitters, just get a pint of hard cider. It'll do in a pitch.

Being in the UK, they have a choice of good Lebanese,Turkish foods, and Indian foods. Just hold the naan

I'm not a fan, but if my daughter is lazy, chik pea pasta and a sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mediterranean diet = fish, veggies, and fruit. You can find many good cookbooks that follow this diet.

I have several family members with gluten issues. Cross contamination is a real issue for any food that you do not make on your own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’ve bought several of these for our kids and family members, based on a recommendation from VSalon...a must have if your daughters are going to focus on rice based dishes.

Rice Cookers | Zojirushi.com
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you very much all. it used to be normal as an undergrad in year 1 you stayed in college for breakfast, grabbed a bit on the fly for lunch, return evening for catered supper. Year 2 you lived out and year 3 you moved back in. Because of the virus now the colleges are moving over to self catering, Vertical Doug I know that place and enjoy Nasi Goreng. Thank you RW I will look where I can find those rice cookers in London. As you know we have a huge Asian market in London

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I was surprised and grateful to learn that a variety of cheeses don’t present lactose troubles to many folx with an intolerance:

Feta, aged Swiss and cheddar, some brie, and most aged hard cheeses have very low lactose content

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you for your efforts. that fish dish looks really nice. I did not know the info about cheeses. If cheddar is not too bad I remember my Father's frequent evening snack was an apple, some cheddar and some celery. Maybe some crackers. A nice variety of flavours and textures. Cheap too. I am looking in to some soup recipes now as Uni accom is drafty ..... I have ordered rice cookers based on the advice i have received here, fish available in the UK but expensive but I suppose that is what I am for.