Thread: Paint Question for a newb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paint Question for a newb.

Hey-0,

I've been teaching myself how to paint over the past few months: effects pedals, helmets, vise, random stuff. So far things have gone well.

I started on my first bike this weekend:

etch prime
    sandable primer
    sealer
    wet sand to remove orange peel (600 grit)
    wash with oil/grease/tar remover
    base coat x3 (didn't go on as well as I wanted it to but that's just me learning how to paint small round tubes)

after the last layer of base, I waited about 2 hours (@70*F with < 20% humidity), put a mask down and attempted the logos.
    light dusting of metallic silver
    3x medium coats

After the last coat I waited about 30 minutes and began to peel the mask off — peel back, not up . . . slowly. Unfortunately, I experienced something new: the silver paint peeled up in places bringing the base coat with it. Sucks mostly because I was hoping to get this done by Thursday but it's a great way to learn provided that I can figure out what I did wrong.

My 2 guesses are: 1. I should've wet sanded with < 600 grit; 2. The solvent in the silver loosened up the base coat (I should've waited longer before pulling)

Anyone have a thought on this?

Semi-Related: I'm using a touch-up gun to apply paint (1.2mm air cap) and am trying to dial in the fan width. I understand what to look for when spraying larger stuff but I'm unsure about tubing. Is there a general guideline (e.g. 1.5x tubing diameter)?

Thanks.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paint Question for a newb.

It was probably still wet though it looked and felt dry. I would give it 24 hours until you start masking things off just make sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the response Jay.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answers are likely on the data sheets for the materials you are using.

For example, the base coats I use ask for 320grit on most primers and OE finishes but can vary depending the substraight. They can usually be applied over un-sanded sealers and primers that are still "open"(say within 6-12 hours)

And, why use a sealer over a sandable primer over an etchprimer? Choose a primer color that works with your BC color. Again, datasheets.

For base coats coat count, there is no standard. It's however many it takes to cover. With first coat very light "tack" coat will give best results with subsequent coats. Do not try to cover on any given coat but rather stop applying coats when coverage is achieved. It usually varies by color and using the right primer or sealer color helps.

What vinyl are you using?

I can usually mask a BC in 30-40 min here in Texas, maybe 2hr in the winter. I use fast reducer on small graphics and can usually peel in 20-30min.

What are you mixing your BC/reducer in? If you say wax coated paper cup(even if you think its not wax coated it probably is slightly) then there is your problem full stop.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

In addition to what Nick said, if you’re worried about base coat not being dry enough you are putting it on too thick. Check your data sheets and follow your flash times.