User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Security Cameras - worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home Security Cameras - worth it?

Ring system user with ever expanding camera's.

Our house had a late 90's intercom system that we needed to toss during our kitchen reno. With it the front doorbell...it was all integrated. So started with the Ring video doorbell and shortly there after installed and Ring security camera on the drive side of the house.
    We travel some so have a sitter come to our house to take care of our pet. One evening we noticed that an unauthorized guest stayed overnight with our sitter. Not cool. During our meet and great we did inform our sitter that we have camera's outside........sigh, shake head.....c'est la vie. The one and only gig for that sitter. Our current sitter is awesome.

After a recent riot in town and vandals cruising through our neighborhood (thankfully not down our cul-de-sac) after said riot, we installed another video camera that covers our backyard. This one turns out to be a real cool critter cam.

Anyhow, will these systems or any alarm system deter determined crooks. No. Deter those who are less confidant. Maybe. Assist in identifying stupid. Yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you like the Ring system? I'm wondering about ease of set-up, operation, integration within computer systems, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ring doorbell and the like have been nice for my 3 flat that was never wired for a doorbell. Battery powered (buy a spare) and everyone can get notifications. The camera is mostly used to check on deliveries. USPS really sucks here. It is too common to get a notification that a package was delivered only to get it the next morning. When I needed a new floodlight for the backyard I got a Ring. The light's color and brightness is very nice in today's world where every light needs to make it it bright as day outside. The camera is a bonus on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who had a crappy week-end thanks to a DDOS botnet attack, please buy these things only if you know how to secure them.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
    How do you like the Ring system? I'm wondering about ease of set-up, operation, integration within computer systems, etc.
    Easy. Our doorbell is battery powered (recharged every 6 mo. or so) but light/camera's replaced existing floodlights. Setup is a step by step process. Spent more time making sure the doorbell was a clean install.....required some woodworking.

Ring products go on sale every so often. Last one was US$50 off..........and it was literally the last one in the store. These things have been flying off shelves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cameras don't really deter anything, in my experience. But they do tell you what happened, and I kinda want to know why something happened, or that it hasn't (heavy rain, did the basement flood?). I've had windows on my car cracked, packages not delivered, packages delivered and stolen, animals in the yard. Police in my area have a policy to not respond to package theft, so that's not going to help one way or another, but will help you demonstrate that something was or was not delivered. Also, it's good to see what the pets are up to when I'm away.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoeny View Post
    Also, it's good to see what the pets are up to when I'm away.
    They're just waiting for you to come home:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12