User Tag List

Thread: Home Security Cameras - worth it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Home Security Cameras - worth it?

Is it worth $1k to have photos/videos that might help catch someone in the act? I realize it’s a personal question, but am curious to know the opinions of others - particularly anyone who has an experience where having cameras has helped. Also would love to know what brands have been good or bad experiences.

IE, say it costs me about $1k to get four cameras and a doorbell. If the cameras catch pictures of someone that I do not know, have I just wasted $1k and had my package stolen? Or would the videos actually help? Seems like it may be smarter to have high value packages either delivered to a locker or held at UPS/FedEx, even though that is a pain. I used to have high value stuff sent to my office, but with COVID procedures in place, that’s now a no-go.

Might be worth it just to see the stuff that my kids do while I am at work.

Currently looking at an Arlo system (four cameras and a doorbell camera). Trying to decide if the cameras are just a placebo or if they might actually help. I already have a conventional security system (door triggers, all the windows, glass breaks, interior motion, etc) that is cellular.

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home Security Cameras - worth it?

Have many packages been stolen off your porch?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't you just add more cameras to your existing setup?

Or more simple, go to the local carpenter and get a suitably big sized steel box that you can paint in green and keep in the corner.
    A combination padlock will keep it safe while the code is noted in the Delivery Instructions, for peace of mind you can get a combination padlock with resettable code that you can change when needs to.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where I live, the argument is that a CCTV system is one of the most useful deterrents to burglary. I had a system installed when I started building bike frames and bikes. Some people just use fake video cameras and warning notices but I took the view that it may be possible for a competent person to spot the difference. Crime is not a big problem here but a couple of my friends have had apparently targeted break-ins for bike theft.

I have never had a package stolen but I did have an argument with a delivery company who claimed to have delivered me something but had not. When I told them I had video evidence that they had not visited our property on the day and time in question the item miraculously arrived.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife installed an Arlo system so she could keep an eye on her horses from her computer.

It worked to her satisfaction.

I'd do what Gattonero suggests: a drop box.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    My wife installed an Arlo system so she could keep an eye on her horses from her computer.

It worked to her satisfaction.

I'd do what Gattonero suggests: a drop box.
    Dvalt makes nice drop boxes. They can be stand-alone or built-in. dVault.com | Secure Package Mailboxes for Home or Business
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have cameras but some of my coworkers do and from what I've learned listening to their conversations, it makes me wonder why bother having the cameras at all? They stop doing whatever it is they're doing at work because their phone has alerted them of activity at home. It's chronic; it's incessant; it's pervasive among employees.
    Doesn't anybody actually WORK when they work, anymore?

I don't see the cost to benefit ratio being in favor of the homeowner. I like the idea of a drop box.

There sure seems to be a lot of paranoia out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all for the replies. No packages stolen... yet!

A camera system from current home security system provider is much more expensive - it doesn't make sense for a residential application. They have some options, but are all commercial products, that would be overkill for a home installation, and very expensive ($3k-ish for install, plus cost of equipment - lots of wires to pull). I was advised to check out Ring and Arlo.

I'm not sure I would depend on a delivery driver to open a lock, open the box, then close/lock it. Those guys are always in a hurry, especially lately with everyone in the developed world ordering most of their needs via delivery. Maybe I misunderstood the concept?

Perhaps I can get the cameras to also help with other issues, and then build my own box for package drop. I can make something pretty nice out of wood that would deter most thieves. Jorn, thanks for the link to the dvault boxes, I had not seen those. They look very secure, but would also look not so attractive on the front of my house. Maybe I can make my own version and make a hybrid bench, or planter, or something that doesn't look quite so industrial. If it just involves opening a door and dropping the box into a compartment, that seems like it would be friendly and time considerate to the delivery folks, and also keep things out of sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy at work's nickname is Gadget Boy. He installed a web cam so he could see his cats during the day. He had to show us all, of course. His daughter was dating a guy who has a black belt in Tae Kwan Do. So the image comes up of Gadget Boy's living room and there's the boyfriend practicing the nunchucks in front of Gadget Boy's very expensive AV setup. Gadget Boy dials his home number, boyfriend stops and goes off screen. Gadget Boy says "Stop. That." and hangs up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, if you have a basement, you could reinvent the coal chute and send deliveries down instead of coal. Just make sure raccoons can’t also take a slide.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the camera(s) you see someone take a package off your porch, you don't know the person, are the cops really going to take time go through pics to catch him/her, for a theft worth how many $? I can see how it's helpful to identify an individual that is hitting a lot of houses(with cameras) but as a one time deal I'm thinking it won't help catch the thief or protect the package.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just have the $$$ packages dropped off at a FedEx or UPS "store." (or even Whole Foods for Amazon stuff)

Around here the storefronts are all over the place, and in my case on my way home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like my Ring system a lot...doorbell and 3 cameras. Pre-pandemic it provided peace of mind that packages had been delivered while we were out. Since we’re home most of the time now that’s less critical, but I still appreciate having it. In my semi-urban area I can see that cameras help homeowners identify thieves...but it’s less clear if the cameras are a deterrent to theft.