It's the height of summer in the Antipodes and I finally went to the big smoke (Melbourne Australia) to collect our new kayaks in between Christmas and New Year when the city traffic is said to be 'less'.........

I've never car topped kayaks before so a pair of country bumpkins like us, driving our Subaru Outback through the metropolitan sprawl that is Melbourne with two 12' boats on the roof was a leap of faith of sorts.

No time wasted and we have had three decent paddle sessions in them already. Our previous paddling was all inflatable kayaks or borrowed kayaks whilst abroad but now we each have our own Boreal Design Pura 120 sea kayaks (Re-branded and sold by a 2nd Australian dealer as 'Surge' Kayaks. We had paddled Boreal Design boats before in BC so I was happy to purchase online sight unseen.

No retail remorse or retail regret etc. It's a revelation having light weight solid body kayaks to paddle - the improved handling has seen our range from launch improve by double and fun had by all the whole way.

Since a serious bout of illness aged 40 (I'm now 50) I've spent time and money recapturing some of the best things I did in my childhood so paddling, like riding bicycles is another extension of my attemp,t not to have a 2nd childhood but more so to re-kindle some of the joys of childhood.

So far, so good. I'm looking forward to taking 2 weeks off in late March / early April for my partner and I to have a paddling holiday away from home........... Covid permitting...........

Ratty-and-Moley.jpg

Barwon-River-01-email.jpg

Mill-Pond-03-email.jpg