Thread: Paddling Notes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paddling Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Swift Prospector 16' Carbon/Kevlar fusion and it's GREEN!
    This will be mostly flat water paddling. We are scouting for multi-day adventures and of course we will have to get Zac the new uber Standard Poodle comfortable before we go nuts. Also, just scored two cherry tripper paddles. Delivery is about one week away.
    STOKED
    You could pull your Airstream to the Dawson Trail Campground on the east end of Quetico in 23 hours for some great day trips. Mid-September would be an amazing time to be up there. Just planting the bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You could pull your Airstream to the Dawson Trail Campground on the east end of Quetico in 23 hours for some great day trips. Mid-September would be an amazing time to be up there. Just planting the bug.
    I looked! Very good recommend. We are booked until mid-October. We plan to visit lake Philpott on/off ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...2cqy?entry=ttu )until I've finished my "duties" at the Airstream Park than the world is our erster'.

Since we have a late start this yr. we think southern destinations in late October and early Nov. are more likely.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-10-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Swift Prospector 16' Carbon/Kevlar fusion and it's GREEN!
    This will be mostly flat water paddling. We are scouting for multi-day adventures and of course we will have to get Zac the new uber Standard Poodle comfortable before we go nuts. Also, just scored two cherry tripper paddles. Delivery is about one week away.
    STOKED
    Beautiful boat !
    Completely not for what I do - AZ rocks chew them up, it's tragic.
    Often some for sale here cheap from out of state folks tho.........

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Beautiful boat !
    Completely not for what I do - AZ rocks chew them up, it's tragic.
    Often some for sale here cheap from out of state folks tho.........

- Garro.
    Understood. Baby steps. Mrs. Too might get there, for now lakes, puddles and slow rivers. Training the pooch should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standard Poodle approval.
    Just arrived our new canoe. For a name I'm considering "RowVwave"

rowvwave.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you had the new canoe in the water yet? We need a paddle report and more pictures.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Have you had the new canoe in the water yet? We need a paddle report and more pictures.
    My dewd we barely got it before we took off for my sister's place. We can't wait to get that thaing wet. Isaac the new version of Sully Poodle is already jumping in and out of the boat so I think the biggest hurdle is done. Also, we bought two really nice cherry paddles from Swift. The design are tripper / beavertail.

My gosh, we are blown away how nice their work is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone bikepaddling/bikerafting here?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Trip!

Nelson, Victoria - Australia to paddle the Glenelg River.

A four + hour drive from home but no need to drive through Melbourne (our State capital city)

Early to mid spring - the bush was still verdant and lush, plenty of water in the river upstream but we limited ourselves to the lower 7 miles from Nelson on the coast up beyond Donovan's.

Fabulous place to be - mostly deserted in shoulder season. We rented a local holiday house for 3 nights, ate at the local pub, paddled 2 days and car toured the Lower Glenelg National Park for half a day.

The Glenelg River is a rarity on Australia's south coast being reasonably long and remarkably wide, still 80 to 90 yards wide as far as 18 miles upstream. Lots of gorgeous limestone cliffs on both banks, some lovely old fishing shacks outside of the National Park boundaries and plenty of excellent camping sites and launch ramps inside the National Park.

4 days away very well spent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Boundary Waters came in at #42 on the NYT list of top 52 travel destinations for 2024: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ions-2024.html

Fun fact: In the picture, my brother is in the stern of the canoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've paddled Boundary Waters into Quatico four times. We navigated using common sense and waterproof maps and boy howdy there is nothing on earth like getting a few days away from civilization, motors or any human sign.

We were ambitious so long portage and slogging up leech infested creeks was how we were able to visit places nobody except rangers and legally insane folks would go. WORTH IT :)

By all means, do this if you have real interest visiting one of the great natural resources in N. America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing how hard people have had to work over 10 decades to protect the BWCA and surrounding areas.

Friends of the Boundary Waters organized in the 1970's to fight Acid Rain at the time as it was threatening the lakes and pine forests. They helped sponsor the first environmental bills to reduce acid rain pollution.
    It was hard to believe 50 years later the fight had to continue as Twin Metals Mine by Antofagasta in 2010. A copper Sulfide mine in the superior national forest is just a bad idea. (this one is basically killed now).
    They also worked hard to keep motorized vehicles out as there was a big push to let them in. They lost some of the fight but kept most of the area safe.

But Glencore, has proposed a copper mine near Babbit. Glencore is the British Miner which was originated as Marc Rich & Co. (Marc Rich was charged with violating sanctions against Iran embargo for trading oil, and fled the US. He was later pardoned by Bill Clinton which probably still ranks as one of the dirtier pardons until Trump came along.) Glencore would be a disaster for the region environmentally.

https://www.savetheboundarywaters.org/

I was fortunate as a student in a school that had a summer biology program which took as up into the Boundary waters for a few weeks every year. It is how I spent part of my summers in high school. We used the old-style canvas tents and backpacks which were heavy as hell. (At least to a lazy high schooler). Portages were a bitch.

The late 70's were an interesting time for environmentalism, it is when we really turn the tide. I doubt we'd have the boundary waters if it hadn't happened. It was also when the push started to stop Reserve Mining from dumping mercury rich taconite waste into Silver Bay on Lake Superior.

There is always someone who wants to wreck it. Look at Bears Ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good insights Doug. Thanks for that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456