Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paddling Notes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paddling Notes

I couldn't help but think of paddling in 2020 the other day when I ran across Joseph Kelly's description of the colonists who deserted Jamestown in his book Marooned:

But we should not forget [the deserters]. Their rebellion, such as it was, might not have amounted to much of a political act. Probably it was a simple calculation of self-preservation. They could stay in Jamestown under the tyranny of Percy, where they would almost certainly die, or they could flee to the Indians. Nevertheless, that so many did flee "civilization" and found refuge among those whom Perry called "savages" indicates that they were changed. They were no longer the same Englishmen and Englishwomen who had set out from London but a year earlier. The trauma of Jamestown, like the experience of shipwreck in Bermuda, was transformative, especially for those who arrived on the Third Supply. When they sailed from London, they knew they were going toward a wilderness, but none could have fully understood what that meant. As they watched people die, one after another, from starvation - as they buried the dead, turning from the fresh graves, feeling the constant pain of an empty stomach - they could not help but feel abandoned. No help was coming from England. For all intents and purposes, they were lost. The ties that bound them to their old lives, their old habits of duty and loyalty and even citizenship, had come unwound. They were stripped bare. Their old world was irretrievable. The Company had no regard for their welfare. As so many later put it, under the Company's regime it as "as if they had been slaves!" Their contract had been a sham. They had been tricked into coming to Virginia. Some died in earthen holes. Some waited in their beds to die. Others took their lives into their own hands. In a willful act of self-creation, they ran away (387-388).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Labor Day weekend floatila. Likely one of the last paddling days of the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess with a backwards Patagonia hat and paddling canoes, you were kicked out of the Trump Flotilla and had to make do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Flotilla has a >150HP limit...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by guido; 09-07-2020 at 06:22 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put my order in for one of these:

http://www.novacraft.com/canoes/prospector-17-2/

Going with their 'tuff stuff' proprietary layup. Seems like a good balance between light weight and bombproof-ness for a 17-footer coming in at about 60#.

Now I need some good insider info from those in the know about some hidden gem lakes and ponds in the north east for this summer season. Truck should drop it at the dealer by June, hopefully sooner. Could it be possible that anyone could make a better boat than some Canadians? I can't fathom it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That looks like a super nice boat. I've been looking for something similar, used, to bash around on the Deerfield, but this past season it wasn't going to happen. I enjoy the boats I've got, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, even with the kayak craze making canoes more scarce, it still seemed like a major rabbit hole to go down researching options, but I had to just make the call. I think the super-light options are badass, but I felt like sticking to something with some kind of gel coat and a tougher and less brittle layup than the carbon and aramid options would server me better in a greater range of trips. Like the Deerfield--sounds like an awesome idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    Just put my order in for one of these:

http://www.novacraft.com/canoes/prospector-17-2/

Going with their 'tuff stuff' proprietary layup. Seems like a good balance between light weight and bombproof-ness for a 17-footer coming in at about 60#.

Now I need some good insider info from those in the know about some hidden gem lakes and ponds in the north east for this summer season. Truck should drop it at the dealer by June, hopefully sooner. Could it be possible that anyone could make a better boat than some Canadians? I can't fathom it.
    We have the 15 foot version of it in the TuffStuff layup at our lake in Canada. Have thrown it on top of our car and brought it various places to paddle down our rivers (there are 5 in our town and then also our national park). Have hit a bunch of rocks really really hard in the faster running shallow parts of the water and the thing just bounced off with nary even a scratch. Well built boat.

Gratuitous picture of it at rest, because it is the middle of the winter and your post reminded me that I needed something not gray and cloudy...

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    We have the 15 foot version of it in the TuffStuff layup at our lake in Canada. Have thrown it on top of our car and brought it various places to paddle down our rivers (there are 5 in our town and then also our national park). Have hit a bunch of rocks really really hard in the faster running shallow parts of the water and the thing just bounced off with nary even a scratch. Well built boat.
    That's good to hear. Sounds like you guys are spoiled up there! I hope I didn't go overboard with 17', but there will be times when I put my family of 4 in there so I think a little longer is better, even tho all of us together don't even weigh 1/2 of it's rated payload capacity.
    Last edited by SeanEasley; 01-27-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

17 sounds right for what you describe. On some of our all day trips with lunches, clothing, etc it would be a problem not in weight but space if I was throwing any more in the 15. And my neighbor has the 17 and it is still very much an easily maneuverable craft on the rivers.

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good to hear. Sounds like you guys are spoiled up there! I hope I didn't go overboard with 17', but there will be times when I put my family of 4 in there so I think a little longer is better, even tho all of us together don't even weigh 1/2 of it's rated payload capacity.
    The Nova Crafts have a bunch of rocker in their prospectors, so you'll be able to maneuver that 17' boat no problem.

You're more likely to struggle getting it to track on flatwater than turn in moving water. For flatwater, you may want to look into what I think people sometimes call "Canadian style" paddling: j-stroke, underwater recovery (sometimes called "Indian stroke"), and keeling it way over Bill Mason-style to paddle solo.

Enjoy your new boat, and let us know how it works!
    Last edited by caleb; 01-28-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The Nova Crafts have a bunch of rocker in their prospectors, so you'll be able to maneuver that 17' boat no problem.

You're more likely to struggle getting it to track on flatwater than turn in moving water. For flatwater, you may want to look into what I think people sometimes call "Canadian style" paddling: j-stroke, underwater recovery (sometimes called "Indian stroke"), and keeling it way over Bill Mason-style to paddle solo.

Enjoy your new boat, and let us know how it works!
    Will do! I am no expert, but the one I ordered has 2.5" of rocker both ends, which I understood to be 'moderate' as opposed to 4 inches which is in the downriver category. Hoping it is as good of an all-rounder as many reviews say it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will do! I am no expert, but the one I ordered has 2.5" of rocker both ends, which I understood to be 'moderate' as opposed to 4 inches which is in the downriver category. Hoping it is as good of an all-rounder as many reviews say it is.
    I think it'll be great. My American definition of "a bunch of rocker" is quite a bit less than the Canadians, as we often use a zero rocker boat on trips that are mostly flatwater.

Flatwater Canadian hulls usually seem to have at least a little bit of rocker in the bow.

My general purpose boat is a 16' Old Town that's 35" wide and has 2" of rocker. It's a Swiss army knife of a boat. I've even done a solo Boundary Waters trip in it, paddling the boat "backwards" from the front seat. It's also extremely stable, and we regularly jump out of it and climb back in out in the middle of the lake. On a hot day, we'll put on life jackets, toss out the throw line, jump over the gunnels, and just float along with the boat holding the rope.

We've worn through to the boat's core on the keels, and I need to get some skid plates on it before spring. When it finally needs to be retired, I think we'll replace it with a similar design, just in wood and canvas: https://www.stewartriver.com/canoes/prospector/

Anyway, enjoy, I'm sure you've made a good choice.

Last edited by caleb; 02-03-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply gorgeous shots Caleb. Gives me some daydream material until my boat arrives. I love the dark red in your last shot, looks like the oxblood that I ordered for the novacraft. Since DarrenCT will be all but useless in the bow position guzzling IPAs all day and checking his bumble feed, I'll work on my 'J' and 'Canadian' strokes for the all important stern seat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Simply gorgeous shots Caleb. Gives me some daydream material until my boat arrives. I love the dark red in your last shot, looks like the oxblood that I ordered for the novacraft. Since DarrenCT will be all but useless in the bow position guzzling IPAs all day and checking his bumble feed, I'll work on my 'J' and 'Canadian' strokes for the all important stern seat
    If your passenger's going to be ornamental, you owe it to yourself to get a courting canoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always like going back and watching Bill Mason's classic videos on cold winter days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the morning ride, we took out the canoe for the first time this year. Just a little exploring on a chilly day around the lake...

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lazy Saturday.

Last edited by caleb; 05-01-2021 at 08:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Lazy Saturday.

That snapper was really annoyed that you made it move. �� grumpy ass dinosaur.
    Solitudinally challenged

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast