User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

It’s Friday and some of the other threads have run their course.

Who will Joe pick? Why or why not another? Some VPs matter more others. This go around I think it’s bigger than normal.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Supposedly next week...from the interwebs...

The fact that Biden is only considering women candidates for his running mate says more about where the Democratic Party is than it does about Biden’s personal convictions, Devine and Kopko said. “Up to this point it’s seen as picking a woman would be a bold move, an unconventional move, a strong signal,” said Devine. “At this point, I think the script is flipped somewhat, and it would be a slight to have an all-male ticket.” The real question now is whether Biden will pick a woman of color like Harris, Rice, Reps. Karen Bass and Val Demings, or Stacey Abrams; a progressive like Sen. Elizabeth Warren; or a figure from the Midwest like Sen. Tammy Baldwin or Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

Bass, Harris, Rice, Warren and Whitmer seem to be leading the pack. The real question seems to be which VP candidate has enough draw to help Biden take out Trump and Pence, as that candidate is most likely a presidential contender as well, when Biden either completes his term(s) or travels to the next world.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mitt Romney, let us unite Dem-Americans and Rep-Americans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tammy Duckworth should get it just for coining the best insult name "Cadet Bonespurs."
    She could probably deal with any of the crap coming, including the inevitable from him, "I like helicopter pilots who don't get their legs blown off, okay."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Mitt Romney, let us unite Dem-Americans and Rep-Americans.
    Joe should reach across the aisle when he forms a cabinet. Maybe give Romney the Treasury or State. But the Veep should be a Dem. I'm glad it will be a woman and hope she is one of color. Stacey Abrams would be a good pick, if only to drive the MAGAmuffins crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Duckworth but she's from Illinois. He will pick a VP from California, Harris or Bass. Between those two, I'd rather see Bass. Harris ran a poor campaign, didn't inspire anyone. Biden can do that on his own.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    He will pick a VP from California
    Why CA? It certainly wouldn't be as a tactical move, since they don't need that to get the CA Electoral College votes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Joe should reach across the aisle when he forms a cabinet. Maybe give Romney the Treasury or State. But the Veep should be a Dem. I'm glad it will be a woman and hope she is one of color. Stacey Abrams would be a good pick, if only to drive the MAGAmuffins crazy.
    Why should you give Romney more opportunities to inflict reckless damage? At least have a real DINO do it

Reagan killed any and all across the aisle. Good riddance. Biden won’t enact left leaning policies, pretending it still exists is stupid imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the choice. I also like that a bunch of impressive women were campaigning to be the choice. We'll need them to keep it up, because a bunch of men are overdue for their recliners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a lot of respect for Kamala Harris. Those to the left of me call her a cop; but as she said just today, she fought to fix a broken system from within. You can't do that acting like Bernie Sanders, so of course she has a few D's on her report card.

As Rebecca Solnit says, "voting is a chess move, not a valentine".
    Most of us over 40 get that.

For the younger ones, when we design a system whereby you can vote on an app sitting at a red light that just turned green, they'll start voting too and maybe we'll get a progressive ticket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    For the younger ones, when we design a system whereby you can vote on an app sitting at a red light that just turned green, they'll start voting too and maybe we'll get a progressive ticket.
    So you know durn well that that will never happen.

But the GOP has seen the future, and they know that practically all the demographic trends are against them. That's why they try to pull off all the dirty tricks they do (e.g. gerrymandering).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    But the GOP has seen the future, and they know that practically all the demographic trends are against them. That's why they try to pull off all the dirty tricks they do (e.g. gerrymandering).
    Hate to break it to you, but democrats are pretty good at it too.

Maryland's 3rd congressional district - Wikipedia

Gerrymandering is terrible and leads to greater divisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    So you know durn well that that will never happen.

The republicans have been staggeringly successful with gerrymandering. Rationalized districting would have a huge impact on the political landscape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    The republicans have been staggeringly successful with gerrymandering. Rationalized districting would have a huge impact on the political landscape.
    For sure. and even if it doesn't change the make up of Congress that much in absolute terms of which party has how many seats, competitive districts will improve the quality of candidate that's selected. In a heavily gerrymandered district the primary becomes the general election and has a very high likelihood of becoming a purity test or worse. Just look at what happened in Georgia this week. A person that believes in the Qanon conspiracy just won the GOP primary and is heavily favored in the general election given the makeup of the district.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    As Rebecca Solnit says, "voting is a chess move, not a valentine".
    Most of us over 40 get that.
    This is a good line.

It's important, too, to remember that the United States is a country filled with centerists. I get to have my voice, my positions and my beliefs. But so does everyone else.

So you want the best available candidates, or do you want to whine that your candidate didn't make the cut? Because those are your choices.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Kamala Harris’ political campaign in the primaries was an amateur effort. Her sister was her primary advisor and the advice seemed to be that she should run scared of her political record. No one is successful that way. She will have a different approach now, because she has been selected precisely for that record and will be much more comfortable.

There’s an old joke about a Catholic and a Unitarian coming to a fork in the road on the way to heaven with a sign and two arrows. The Catholic follows the arrow that says “This way to heaven” and the Unitarian follows the arrow that says “This way to a discussion of heaven.”

Substitute Republican and Democrat and Presidency into that scenario and you’ll get what I’m saying.

Eyes on the prize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never allow despair to have the last word.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ge%2Fstory-ans
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This presidential election cycle sucks. But keeping to Harris, I doubt she is going to be as loyal as Biden would like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    This presidential election cycle sucks. But keeping to Harris, I doubt she is going to be as loyal as Biden would like.
    An optimist !
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast