User Tag List

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Anecdotally, my recent experience with USPS is one of unusual delays and that jibes with the recent experience of some other cats I know. I don't think it is a test at all. There is no low below which he will not stoop, there is no law he will not break, there is nothing he will not do in service of himself, and right now the only thing he cares about is getting reelected. His freedom may well depend on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I don't think it is a test at all. There is no low below which he will not stoop, there is no law he will not break, there is nothing he will not do in service of himself
    the public are the ones being tested. the orange man should be frog-marched from the building,
    the fact he won't means your nation has already failed.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    the fact he won't means your nation has already failed.

-g
    No disagreement from me there, though there is one thing I will quibble with...I owe allegiances to two nations. One of them is - now - a third world basket case. The other is South Africa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Was it wasted because she didn't win, or for some other reason?
    Wasted in that I was voting in Illinois so it was a foregone conclusion that she would carry IL so I should have voted for a third party.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
    Wasted in that I was voting in Illinois so it was a foregone conclusion that she would carry IL so I should have voted for a third party.
    Well, until this country gets rid of the Electoral College that's going to be an issue for a lot of people.

I think that Missouri is almost certainly going to go for Trump again in 2020, but that isn't going to stop me from voting, nor will I feel that I wasted my time. I still want my +1 to be in the Biden column, whether he wins the state or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Well, until this country gets rid of the Electoral College that's going to be an issue for a lot of people.

I think that Missouri is almost certainly going to go for Trump again in 2020, but that isn't going to stop me from voting, nor will I feel that I wasted my time. I still want my +1 to be in the Biden column, whether he wins the state or not.
    I unfortunately have to agree with you that Missouri will go that way; the map of counties that voted against amendment 2 recently shows why. Hopefully we can get rid of Parsons though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you vote on a Tuesday, how about a public holiday to enable people to get out and vote?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    If you vote on a Tuesday, how about a public holiday to enable people to get out and vote?
    Good luck with that. Unfortunately, one of the two main US political parties wants as few people as possible to vote.

So much for being a functioning democratic republic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbb View Post
    if you vote on a tuesday, how about a public holiday to enable people to get out and vote?
    yep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you f'ing crazy? that would increase voter participation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Man if we're getting Crazy in here about making voting a requirement to get a Drivers License!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Hey Man if we're getting Crazy in here about making voting a requirement to get a Drivers License!
    How about requiring a Federal ID in order to vote? Never mind, with mail -in voting nobody is going to know who mails in whoevers ballot anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    How about requiring a Federal ID in order to vote?
    Such as?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about requiring a Federal ID in order to vote? Never mind, with mail -in voting nobody is going to know who mails in whoevers ballot anyway.
    Just a reminder that Trump mails in his vote.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEWS FLASH

Trump accuses someone else of ignoring science !!!
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voter fraud is so incredibly rare because changing a few votes in an election of 120 million isn't worth risking a felony. The handful of people who commit voter fraud are several standard deviations short of average intelligence.

The vast majority of the population will only commit a felony if there is a very large chance of a significant reward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Voter fraud is so incredibly rare because changing a few votes in an election of 120 million isn't worth risking a felony. The handful of people who commit voter fraud are several standard deviations short of average intelligence.

The vast majority of the population will only commit a felony if there is a very large chance of a significant reward.
    At the national level, it is rare, it does happen a local level. What the Heritage and other organizations are doing is a switch.... they use examples of voter fraud from small local elections, school board, small town mayor, sheriff, where locals try to manipulate local races by a few votes. Or a person running for office doesn't live where they say they do and have registered at a relatives or parents address to enter a race. It's all petty local stuff. They then embellish the story about wide spread vote harvesting, busing etc....

Florida already has 56+% of resident's voting by mail as of last election. Republicans are encouraging mail-in Florida votes because it helps them. They claim there is a system. What system?

However in Pennsylvania which will be close, they think it will hurt them and are now manipulating the USPS to suppress the vote. It's all pretty horrible. The next step which is 100% certainty, is the closing of polling station democratic leaning districts in these battleground states to put the finger on the scale. This is what people should find outrageous. But my Trump supporting friends all equate this to vote harvesting in California and only care about winning....

I only see scorched earth between November and January for a contested election.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of this still blows my tiny little mind. At some point we, as a voting nation, will be forced to install so many new guardrails that our democracy will be something entirely different than it was. Is that a bad thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    At the national level, it is rare, it does happen a local level. What the Heritage and other organizations are doing is a switch.... they use examples of voter fraud from small local elections, school board, small town mayor, sheriff, where locals try to manipulate local races by a few votes. Or a person running for office doesn't live where they say they do and have registered at a relatives or parents address to enter a race. It's all petty local stuff. They then embellish the story about wide spread vote harvesting, busing etc....

Florida already has 56+% of resident's voting by mail as of last election. Republicans are encouraging mail-in Florida votes because it helps them. They claim there is a system. What system?

However in Pennsylvania which will be close, they think it will hurt them and are now manipulating the USPS to suppress the vote. It's all pretty horrible. The next step which is 100% certainty, is the closing of polling station democratic leaning districts in these battleground states to put the finger on the scale. This is what people should find outrageous. But my Trump supporting friends all equate this to vote harvesting in California and only care about winning....

I only see scorched earth between November and January for a contested election.
    When I lived in Oregon it was (and still is) all mail-in voting. Every registered voter was mailed a ballot a month or so from election day; you filled it out at your leisure, and dropped it off in a mailbox or designated box. Easiest elections I ever voted in. Apparently there were polling places available if you wanted, but no one ever used them. This was pre-Trump so of course the concept of mail voting hadn't been politicized yet and no one thought twice about it. People in places like NY standing in lines for hours to vote it is a foreign concept to Oregonians (and WA, UT and CO) and seems so antiquated and unnecessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Florida we vote by mail all the time. You can request the ballot online, you get it and don't need a stamp to mail it back. The amount of ignorance shown by some is incredible, maybe they know and pretend they don't.