User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

I don't think it is that crazy for Pelosi. Trump's current term expires January 20, 2021. If the election is contested and tied up in the courts, neither Trump and Pence are no longer in office. According to the Constitution, the House Speaker then assumes the duty of President until the impasse is resolved.

Am I wrong here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    According to the Constitution, the House Speaker then assumes the duty of President until the impasse is resolved.
    I assume she'll then be able to call out the Storm Troopers into the streets wherever and whenever she likes, and based on the most recent precedent, I would not expect the GOP and their amen corner on FAUX to object in the least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it is that crazy for Pelosi. Trump's current term expires January 20, 2021. If the election is contested and tied up in the courts, neither Trump and Pence are no longer in office. According to the Constitution, the House Speaker then assumes the duty of President until the impasse is resolved.

Am I wrong here?
    Politico had a speculative piece about this. Their answer was a Senate election of the Pro Tem, and given the seat distribution up in this 2020 cycle, Democrats have a de facto majority if none of the Senate seats are filled. So they could in theory elect whoever they wanted. Devolves into political alt-futurist fan fiction rather quickly, but it is an interesting thought exercise on how much of our democracy the last two centuries has relied on tradition than much that's codified.

Postpone the Election? That Could Mean President Biden - POLITICO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump Winery - BdB Magnum Signature Series

how about a big bottle of real rot gut?
    We deserve better. I'm buying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Am I wrong here?
    Almost happened in 1800 when Jefferson (Republican) defeated Adams (Federalist). At the time, the top two candidates were President and Vice President, regardless of party. Jefferson and Burr were tied with the Federalists playing games in the House of Representatives which had to vote for one or the other to be President. To tie up the vote past inauguration day meant that the election would be void and the Speaker would take the Presidency until a new election could be held later in the year. They worked it out, Jefferson won and Burr was the VP. Then Burr and Hamilton.....
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Joe should reach across the aisle when he forms a cabinet. Maybe give Romney the Treasury or State. But the Veep should be a Dem. I'm glad it will be a woman and hope she is one of color. Stacey Abrams would be a good pick, if only to drive the MAGAmuffins crazy.
    Why should you give Romney more opportunities to inflict reckless damage? At least have a real DINO do it

Reagan killed any and all across the aisle. Good riddance. Biden won’t enact left leaning policies, pretending it still exists is stupid imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I originally wanted Klobuchar. Thought she would be good with moderates , independents and the midwest. well that ship has sailed.

Right now I think Biden's best choice will be Susan Rice. She's smart , knows foreign policy and Biden already has a working relationship with her.

Demmings looks impressive but I don't think she's ready. Would love to see her move to the Senate. As far as Harris who is on many people's favorite's list she just recently joined the Senate and I did not at all like how she cross examine Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. She kept suggesting she knew something but when Kavanaugh shrugged she just moved on. A good prosecutor knows the answers before he /she asks the question. It was a Tv moment for her and a bluff. Other times she grandstands and plays games, like when she went after Biden during the debates. Did not feel authentic to me. Stacy Abrams also feels short on experience.

I think Biden will go with someone he feels he will have a good working relationship and I suspect the VP will do a larger than typical amount of the heavy lifting should Biden get elected so ability will be key as well -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Biden is from Delaware, picking a VP candidate from the West Coast would broaden his appeal. I'd rather see Duckworth, but I'm betting on California.
    Biden has California anyway. That logic fails in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I originally wanted Klobuchar. Thought she would be good with moderates , independents and the midwest. well that ship has sailed.

Right now I think Biden's best choice will be Susan Rice. She's smart , knows foreign policy and Biden already has a working relationship with her.

Demmings looks impressive but I don't think she's ready. Would love to see her move to the Senate. As far as Harris who is on many people's favorite's list she just recently joined the Senate and I did not at all like how she cross examine Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings. She kept suggesting she knew something but when Kavanaugh shrugged she just moved on. A good prosecutor knows the answers before he /she asks the question. It was a Tv moment for her and a bluff. Other times she grandstands and plays games, like when she went after Biden during the debates. Did not feel authentic to me. Stacy Abrams also feels short on experience.

I think Biden will go with someone he feels he will have a good working relationship and I suspect the VP will do a larger than typical amount of the heavy lifting should Biden get elected so ability will be key as well -Mike G
    I think Susan Rice is campaigning incredibly hard for the job but she brings a lot of Clinton baggage with her as well as her own. I just think between Rwanda genocide, Libya (Benghazi) and the fact her son is a raging Trump supporter of the young republicans at Stanford, she brings too many potential embarrassments. I'm not sure if Harris's time as California AG helps or hurts her although guaranteed the GOP attacks the old stuff with Willie Brown.

The Rush Limbaugh's of the world are cruel and Biden's camp is trying to war game out who is more defendable and less a liability. I think they turn Susan Rice into Hillary 2 and it is a no go zone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Susan Rice is campaigning incredibly hard for the job but she brings a lot of Clinton baggage with her as well as her own. I just think between Rwanda genocide, Libya (Benghazi) and the fact her son is a raging Trump supporter of the young republicans at Stanford, she brings too many potential embarrassments. I'm not sure if Harris's time as California AG helps or hurts her although guaranteed the GOP attacks the old stuff with Willie Brown.

The Rush Limbaugh's of the world are cruel and Biden's camp is trying to war game out who is more defendable and less a liability. I think they turn Susan Rice into Hillary 2 and it is a no go zone.
    I think this is accurate.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone has baggage if they did something. The only way not to is to be the new kid on the block without an actual resume. Trump defenders will try anything of course but I doubt it will resonate. Rwanda is just not a top 10 issue in America these days. Everyone regrets their lack of action on the topic. Trump did well in 2016 because he had no political resume to attack him on . That's different too now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate reality TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I hate reality TV.

Paddy Chayefsky wrote in "Network" in 1976, for our Bicentennial.

And when the twelfth largest company in the world controls the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, who knows what shit will be peddled for truth on this network?! So, you listen to me. Listen to me! Television is not the truth. Television's a goddamned amusement park! Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, sideshow freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth, go to God! Go to your gurus! Go to yourselves! Because that's the only place you're ever gonna find any real truth! But man, you're never gonna get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you wanna hear. We lie like hell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very prescient. Nationwide cable TV news channels of all sorts are essentially unwatchable. OTA networks are only slightly less unwatchable and local news is largely entertainment. But cable news is the worst. Junk food for the mind.

Back on topic I’m thinking Senator Harris or Governor Whitmer are very likely. Both have electoral experience, which I think is important.

Interesting times, for sure.

FWIW, I just sent in my mailer to receive my ballot in the mail and vote by mail in Illinois. If I can vote without going to the polls I will.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV Live | NHK WORLD-JAPAN Live & Programs

Top of the hour for 10 minutes.

You may find Japanese reporting on US Politics most interesting. At least its impartial and factual

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard Stacey Abrams on NPR, the Commonwealth Club. She made a hell of a case for herself in a matter of minutes, and would mop the floor with whoever was on the debate stage.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    [Kamala Harris] would destroy Pence in a debate.
    I'm not gonna lie: That sentence gave me a boner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe, even though sleepy and demented, can ride a bike.

Joe Biden's Fox-Trolling Mask Bike Ride Sets Twitter Ablaze

Two Bit Goya Bean Pimp can't even drink a glass of water with one hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Joe, even though sleepy and demented, can ride a bike.

Joe Biden's Fox-Trolling Mask Bike Ride Sets Twitter Ablaze

Two Bit Goya Bean Pimp can't even drink a glass of water with one hand.
    Cool. We should only elect Presidents who ride bikes.

Bub, point of order. We kinda sorta keep the trash talk to the political thread more or less sometimes maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kamala Harris. Thoughts?
    Dan Bare

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast