User Tag List

Thread: Second Chance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Second Chance

Over the last few years I’ve developed a passion for steel bicycles. I love that despite the technical advances bicycles have seen over the past century, many manufacturers (including some of my favourite builders) are still creating beautiful two-wheeled machines out of this timeless alloy.

At the end of 2019, I decided to enrol in a frame building course. I had some unused vacation at the end of the year, and was keen to learn more about how bicycles were made. So, I drove down to Rifle, Colorado for two weeks of instruction under Koichi Yamaguchi. During the course, I discovered that I really enjoyed creating something with my hands — not something I do in my regular job.

DSCF2796.jpg

DSCF2831.jpg

DSCF2847.jpg

DSCF2899.jpg

DSCF2924.jpg

DSCF2932.jpg

DSCF2942.jpg

DSCF2968.jpg

When I returned home from the course, I knew I wanted to build more frames. I had (and have) no intention of making any kind of business of frame building — strictly a hobby that I can chip away at as time permits. So, I started tooling up my shop, and ordered a few tube sets and frame building parts. Now I just needed to figure out what I would build, and who I would build it for….

IMG_2958.jpg

In January 2020, my dad had a pretty serious heart attack. He was playing recreational hockey one Sunday evening with some friends, and stepped off the ice when he didn’t feel well. He was off the ice for longer than expected, so one of his teammates went searching for him, and found him sitting on the floor of the dressing room. Dad said he thought he might be having a heart attack, so they called an ambulance for him. Right when the ambulance arrived, Dad tipped over and went into full cardiac arrest. The paramedics brought him back with the defibrillator, and then rushed him to the hospital in an ambulance. He went into cardiac arrest 2 more times that night — once in the ambulance and once in the hospital.

Our family was all pretty scared that night — we didn’t know if Dad was going to make it or not. At 59 years old — with a wife, 3 children, and 5 grandchildren — it was too early for him to go. By some miracle — and with a little help from the local paramedics and the talented staff at the Royal Alexandra in Edmonton — Dad was given a second chance at life. The blockage was cleared from his left anterior descending artery, and a stent was inserted to restore the flow of blood.

While Dad was in the hospital, the doctors told him that if he wanted a long life, he would have to make some lifestyle changes. Specifically, he needed to improve his diet and start exercising regularly. I knew that Mom would be all over dad on the dietary improvements (she’s been ruthless), but I wanted to support him on the fitness element. What better use for my first set of steel tubes than a bike for my dad?

DSCF5303.jpg

Over the next few months, I worked away on the design and build of Dad’s frame. Dad was part of the process too — he came to visit a couple times while I was working on the frame. We’d go out into the garage to cut, file, and braze those steel tubes into something that would eventually resemble a bicycle. I showed Dad the methods that Koichi taught me in his class — or at least the methods I could remember. Much of the time I was just floundering about the shop. I spent a lot more time than I expected working on tasks I thought were simple. Turns out the learning curve was steeper than I had falsely concluded it was during the two weeks while I was in the incubator of Koichi’s classroom. It’s a lot harder to find answers to your questions when you don’t have direct access to the master. I learned a lot though. I expect I’ll still flounder about the shop for my next build, but perhaps I’ll flounder a bit less….

DSCF5244.jpg

DSCF5251.jpg

DSCF5262.jpg

DSCF5296.jpg

DSCF5348.jpg

DSCF5451.jpg

DSCF5476.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

DSCF5513.jpg

The tangible (and obvious) outcome of the building process was the bicycle. But during the process, something else developed as well — my relationship with Dad. I’ve always been close with Dad, but I believe this endeavor made us closer. Dad would call, often daily, to ask, “any updates on the bike?”. I’d send him pictures of the process, and he would reiterate how eager he was to ultimately ride it. We also learned more about each other’s characters. I’m a perfectionist. Dad is more selective about which areas to demonstrate perfectionism. When he was in the shop, he’d look over my shoulder as I was checking the angle on a mitre, “That’s great, Nick. Close enough.” But it wasn’t. When Dad would go to bed, and I’d spend another two hours mitring the tube to the tolerance I was seeking. I wanted this bike to be perfect for Dad. He deserved it.

DSCF5557.jpg

DSCF5905.jpg

Well, I finished the bike. Turns out it isn’t perfect — but it’s solid; everything is straight; and it rides really nicely. And most importantly, Dad loves it. So I’m happy with the result.

DSCF5932.jpg
    Nick Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Second Chance

Included a few more pictures of the bike and specs below.

DSCF5936.jpg

DSCF5938.jpg

DSCF5941.jpg

DSCF5942.jpg

DSCF5943.jpg

DSCF5944.jpg

DSCF5946.jpg

Frame: Columbus SL
    Fork: Columbus SLX, built by Condor
    Gruppo: Campagnolo Centaur
    Wheels: Formula hubs laced to Ambrosio Excellence rims
    Cockpit: Condor Strada
    Seatpost: Condor Strada
    Saddle: Brooks B17
    Paint: Kevin Cuffley
    Nick Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    I love this.
    Thank you!
    Nick Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having just been through what your father went through (on a bike ride on Father’s Day no less), I can assure you that the love and care you have shown your father means more to him than you can ever imagine. I love the whole thing, but especially the heart with “second chance” in it. Fantastic job, and the best of health to our dad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THAT is one cool story.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a beautiful story.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a good man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the best thing on the internet this week. Great job, Nick. The bike, as you say, may not be perfect. But I disagree-- it is perfect. Well done, sir.

Bill Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bill bryant View Post
    this is the best thing on the internet this week. Great job, nick. The bike, as you say, may not be perfect. But i disagree-- it is perfect. Well done, sir.
    x100

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post
    This is the best thing on the internet this week. Great job, Nick. The bike, as you say, may not be perfect. But I disagree-- it is perfect. Well done, sir.

Bill Bryant
    Agreed—as one might say, imperfection is perfection...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is great. Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the feedback!
    Nick Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely story Nick, and great to see you using an optical table as a reference plate.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.graham View Post
    ...Turns out it isn’t perfect...
    The bike will never be perfect but that story is. Inspirational, to say the least. Thank you for sharing.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.graham View Post
    When Dad would go to bed, and I’d spend another two hours mitring the tube to the tolerance I was seeking. I wanted this bike to be perfect for Dad. He deserved it.
    I must be chopping onions...

Serious win there. Best thing I've read in a long time.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, everything everyone else said plus, this made my day! That is a fantastic looking bike, great job-the backstory just adds to the appeal! Immensely I might add.
    Bikes rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m just gonna echo the positive vibes being sent your way.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post

Bill Bryant
    Still the best thing on the internet this week too.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really enjoyed this, Nick. Thanks for sharing a great story.