Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MESH wifi set ups

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MESH wifi set ups

Ditto what the Jorn said. I've been using Arris Sufrboard for about 5 yrs. Nifty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Arris Surfboard modem in two residences.

The one in Arizona ( I hope to see it again - someday) has pretty much flawlessly for 4 years - for the 4 months a year that it is plugged in and in use.

At home in BC I have gone through 3 of them in the last 5 years. When they work, they work well, but I am getting tired of re-buying them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Key (imho) to modems is run power and coaxial connection through the same line conditioning battery backup you would a desktop computer. Power spikes, even small ones, seem to affect some modems. Maybe even have a cumulative affect over time. Again, that’s just my impression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Key (imho) to modems is run power and coaxial connection through the same line conditioning battery backup you would a desktop computer. Power spikes, even small ones, seem to affect some modems. Maybe even have a cumulative affect over time. Again, that’s just my impression.
    Lightning strikes in the vicinity kill modems. Ask me how I know. And yes, they do strike twice. again, ask me how I know.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, eero set up this morning. It was as simple as people said, I was prepared for hours of hell.

Now, time for a coffee while I bask in my IT God prowess!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Well, eero set up this morning. It was as simple as people said, I was prepared for hours of hell.

Now, time for a coffee while I bask in my IT God prowess!
    Something to be said for no-brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Something to be said for no-brainer.
    Hey!

Oh, you meant the set up instructions (right??)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Hey!

Oh, you meant the set up instructions (right??)
    Yeah right that's the ticket ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lemme begine with the EERO Mesh install at home is flawless.

Next issue. Suppose I'm in my travel trailer Glamping like a Mofo ok? It is usual to have access to unsecured campus WiFi.

What would be the best way to boost whatever available WiFi there is and create my own network (secured with a password for dogs sake). Let's also agree I will not have physical access to router or access point OR the admin. password.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-21-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next issue. Suppose I'm in my travel trailer Glamping like a Mofo ok? It is usual to have access to unsecured campus WiFi.

What would be the best way to boost whatever available WiFi there is and create my own network (secured with a password for dogs sake). Let's also agree I will not have physical access to router or access point OR the admin. password.
    You want "use wifi as wan" on a router. Personally, I'd put pfsense on a raspberry pi and hook it into an ap to broadcast your own wifi.

edit: thought for another second and realized that while what I would do personally is good... it's not actually all that great, or helpful of a suggestion. Not the least of which is that BSD on a Pi can still be a sketchy and experimental thing.

I still think the raspberry pi is a good call... but more realistically the right way to do it is to "forward" the wifi connection to wan to the ethernet port (using iptables or some such) and then put PiHole on it to handle filtering, DNS, and DHCP. Plug in any managed AP.

Tbh... there might be a commercial product out there, but i'm not aware of one. It might be good to just search for "wifi as wan router".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My house isn't that big but I've had problems with WiFi for years. Last year I bough a TP Link Deco and it's brilliant - full WiFi everywhere with a few minutes set up. There's a cylindrical thing that plugs into the router then I like the repeaters that just plug into a socket - no wires just the box plugged in. There's one of those upstairs and one downstairs and now everything gets a great signal.

My office was rubbish too - my router is right at the front door and there are a few solid walls before you get to my room at the back and I had to hardwire things there. I bought another Deco and it has solved that problem too - great wifi everywhere. That setup was a little more fiddly - I have networked printers, things wired, things wireless and for a while I couldn't print from a wireless device - but once I sorted the settings and put the Deco in a different mode it was all fine.

I got this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wal...081583&sr=8-21

Definitely recommended and I thought the price was okay.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boosting the signal and isolate/securing your devices is one thing, but you won't go over the fact that the campus wifi's bandwith is limited and shared among the users.

I guess we are talking areas where a mobile network is unavailable? If available I would totally favor a dedicated 4/5G subscription with a dedicated wifi router to share that connection to all your devices.

Also do you want to share/transfer things among your own devices or simply access to internet securely with all of them. If the later I would either just buy a wifi repeater to boost the signal and a subscription to a reputable vpn service to secure the traffic. In my case I would set up a wireguard vpn in an inexpensive virtual private server.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas, yes mobile is avail. and I'm all about it when campus WiFi falls down or is otherwise unusable. For cheap, open WiFi is what I'm after.

This: "Also do you want to share/transfer things among your own devices or simply access to internet securely with all of them. If the later I would either just buy a wifi repeater to boost the signal and a subscription to a reputable vpn service to secure the traffic. In my case I would set up a wireguard vpn in an inexpensive virtual private server. "

Agreed, requires no physical access or password to manage my solution. The usual providers seem to have a bunch of these devices avail. Thanks for wireguard, looks really good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12