User Tag List

Thread: Doesn't seem like cycing vacations will happen until a vaccine comes out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Doesn't seem like cycing vacations will happen until a vaccine comes out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Doesn't seem like cycing vacations will happen until a vaccine comes out

On a long list of a lot of things that won’t happen until there is a vaccine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Doesn't seem like cycing vacations will happen until a vaccine comes out

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    On a long list of a lot of things that won’t happen until there is a vaccine.
    And shouldn’t happen until there’s a vaccine.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    And shouldn’t happen until there’s a vaccine.
    Yes. And baseball.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ge%2Fstory-ans
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boss, a vacation in my mind does not exclude domestic travels. With some cautious approach you can have a he!! of a good time and be pretty safe.

We have the luxury of fixed location campsites we can go back and forth to / from so that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Boss, a vacation in my mind does not exclude domestic travels. With some cautious approach you can have a he!! of a good time and be pretty safe.

We have the luxury of fixed location campsites we can go back and forth to / from so that helps.
    10-4. I was putting words in between cycling and vacation and figuring they were group-style tours with inn-type accommodations and a dozen or so of your closest friends, random schmoes, or people you banter with on the internets about things with two wheels.

I figure the days of close quartering with like-minded strangers, bumping elbows at the breakfast buffet, and snaking single file over mountain passes are well over the horizon for now.

Small bubbles. Non-intersecting circles. What’s the opposite of gruppo compatto?
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    10-4. I was putting words in between cycling and vacation and figuring they were group-style tours with inn-type accommodations and a dozen or so of your closest friends, random schmoes, or people you banter with on the internets about things with two wheels.

I figure the days of close quartering with like-minded strangers, bumping elbows at the breakfast buffet, and snaking single file over mountain passes are well over the horizon for now.

Small bubbles. Non-intersecting circles. What’s the opposite of gruppo compatto?
    Mi dos amigos. Me and you and that's pushing it. If we don't swap spit on the regular I'm out until we both are vaccinated and that's it man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am driving to Bishop, CA starting next Wednesday. I have two wilderness permits, one out of South Lake on the 11th and one from Italy Pass on the 25th. Each is for 13 days because my bear canister will carry food enough for 12. I am waiting for the results of my Covid and antibody tests, and spoke with my doctor about the wisdom of doing this. He told me to wash my hands, wear a mask, etc. I'll be bringing food enough to last through my first trip because leaving food in a car is a bad idea in bear country.
    I live in a town that hasn't had a confirmed case and am traveling to Inyo County which has had around 40 so far. I'll be hiking solo, and when I return to Bishop I will stock up for another two weeks and camp outside of town.
    No one I know in the Bay Area is letting anyone into their homes, but I have a place to stay on the Stanislaus River and Inverness and may stay on for a week or so past these trips to visit friends- I can pitch a tent and fend for myself wherever. But my initial plan was to go out and back. Friends objected. One has a place near Mono Lake and a plane. He said he'd hop over the hill and we could go for a ride.
    When I hiked Evolution Valley last year I said I want to come back every year for the rest of my life. The three friends with whom I went last year are now in the Kearsarge Pass area for nine days. We'd planned to go together, but it wasn't possible for me to join them. But the plan was to sleep in separate tents, cook in separate pots, etc. They will be fine. If you can trust a person to do Class 3 cross-country you can trust them to do whatever it takes to be safe as possible in Covid times.
    I rode past the local golf course in my town last week and it was packed. No one was wearing a mask or keeping six feet apart. But the health department would shut down the store if people did not mask up before entering.
    The drive out and back will be a marathon, but I am taking my good car and it will be comfortable. I plan to be in Iowa by the end of the first day.

I would go bikepacking with no qualms now. I plan to do the Southern Tier again next year, but I will take the train to Palatka instead of Jacksonville to begin.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, what is happening in catalonia is not nice right now but aren't things even worse in many parts of the USA ?

Plus it is not like you can only go cycling there. Living in an hotel with their strict preventions measures and riding all day long might be one of the safest way of living right now.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I mean, what is happening in catalonia is not nice right now but aren't things even worse in many parts of the USA ?

Plus it is not like you can only go cycling there. Living in an hotel with their strict preventions measures and riding all day long might be one of the safest way of living right now.
    Well Spain wants to get it right. Much of the U.S. isn't even trying