As a potter, there are many mugs to choose in our cabinet. Some gt6267a made and some from friends or favorite potters. When the coffee is made and mugs are selected, there is a small competition to get the favorite mug. Not sure when it happened, but we have both gravitated to claiming the same mug (amongst hundreds) as my precious. Its not fancy and certainly doesn’t have a flashy design. A photo would do it no justice, but when picked up … its correct.

Realizing that someday one of us (probably me) will break it and/or it might be nice to at least have two we like, I decided to make another. The problem is, between work and a kid, I’m simply not in the pottery studio as frequently as before. While I am still able to throw ok, there is a little bit of “touch” one maintains with practice that simply isn't there. In January, I decided to give it a try.

There is a city owned art center about a mile from my house. I socialize with friends there and sometimes make a little pottery. In March, I glazed 5 mugs and set them out for firing. I had another 5 mugs bisqued and wanted to see how these turned out before glazing the rest. While the studio is still closed, today I was able to pickup the mugs.

All show a slight lack of touch, but two don’t suck. Time will tell if they make cut.

large-5-mug.jpg

large-2-mugs.jpg

large-1-scroll.jpg

large-1-top.jpg

large-1-bottom.jpg