User Tag List

Thread: Live From Here CANCELED

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Live From Here CANCELED

More crappy email. I gotta stop opening this stuff...

"Hello Guy,

American Public Media has announced significant changes to staff and programming in response to the recession and the financial impact it’s had on our organization. This past week’s broadcast was our final new show. COVID-19 has deeply impacted live events, from Broadway to concerts. With that uncertainty, we simply cannot continue to make the show we want to make and host Live from Here the way it was intended.

We’re thankful for your generosity towards the show. Listener support for public media shows your commitment for the work we do. We have loved every minute of bringing you along for our shared moments of discovery, entertainment, creativity, and surprise. And with the recent launch of the Live from Here fan club, we’re especially saddened that we won’t be able to continue that journey with you.

Thank you again for your support. "
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Live From Here CANCELED

Damn.. a bummer

I’ve been to the Ryman to see the broadcast. Also been there during the ‘This American Life’ times.. these are rough times-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s horrible news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bummer
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick story:

When I was in college, Nickel Creek came to play a show on the lawn. They were fantastic, and played into the evening. Other than when Ben Folds stood on a Steinway to direct the audience in a rendition of "The Luckiest," it was the best modern concert I saw in college.

We weren't allowed to openly serve beer at an outdoor concert, so some of the guys rented a box truck and put a keg inside for low key serving. Folks were running cups to the stage all afternoon.

After Public Safety shut the concert down at dark, the band moved downtown to a dive bar with an unused upstairs stage, where they proceeded to close the place out for a bunch of college students, for free.

(I think Chris is now sufficiently secure and re-married for me to share the next part.)

Chris ended up hooking up with my friend R that night, and legend has it that he did a walk of shame out of the women's corridor in my dorm the next morning. I think he was only 24 or 25 at the time, but it was funny to us.

Anyway... Chris is a fantastic musician, but I don't think he ever really jived with the Lake Wobegon midwestern thing, or was able to recreate it in his own image. Had he moved to Minneapolis and tried to internalize the culture, he might have gotten it. But commuting from Brooklyn didn't work.

I really do hope there's a next step for him to share music with all of us.