Thread: Pad Thai Sauce Recipe Please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pad Thai Sauce Recipe Please!

I see so many variations online....
    Some use tamarind, some don't, brown sugar or white sugar, vinegar or not, etc etc

Please tell me your favorite recipe for the sauce!!

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pad Thai Sauce Recipe Please!

This is what I have been doing lately:

4 tbs tamarind paste
    1/3c fish sauce
    2tbs shrimp paste
    1/3c honey
    2 tbs black vinegar
    2tsp garlic chili paste

Assemble in a sauce pan on medium low till it starts to simmer then set aside to be added when the stir fry is mixed with the noodles.

I'm waiting for Frank's contribution to this...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pad Thai Sauce

35 g palm sugar, chopped (3 Tbsp tightly packed)
    3 Tbsp water
    4 Tbsp tamarind paste/concentrate
    2 Tbsp good fish sauce

Pad Thai

4oz (115g) dry rice noodles, medium size, soak in room temp water for 1 hour
    2 Tbsp dried shrimp, medium size, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    ¼ cup roughly chopped shallots
    85g pressed tofu (1 square piece), cut into small pieces
    3 Tbsp finely chopped SWEET preserved daikon radish
    Dried chili flakes, to taste
    2–3 Tbsp vegetable oil
    10 medium sized shrimp, or as many as you like
    2 eggs
    2 ½ cups bean sprouts, loosely packed
    10 stems garlic chives, cut into 2” pieces
    ¼ cup roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
    1 lime
    Garnishes and condiments for serving: chili flakes, roasted peanuts, bean sprouts and garlic chives.

Instructions

To make pad thai sauce:

Add palm sugar to a small pot and melt over medium heat. Once sugar is melting, keep stirring until it darkens in color Immediately add water, fish sauce, and tamarind paste—sugar will harden immediately, this is okay.
    Bring sauce to a simmer, then turn off heat. The hardened sugar will not have dissolved at this point, but let it sit while you prep other ingredients and it should be dissolved by the time you need it. Check that it is dissolved before you start cooking.

To make pad thai:

Cut drained noodles once with scissors so they are half as long. This makes them easier to toss and separate in the wok.
    In a bowl, combine tofu, garlic, shallots, preserved radish, dried shrimp, and chili flakes.
    Heat a wok or a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add just enough oil to coat the bottom. Sear shrimp, or whatever protein you’re using, until done and remove them from pan.
    In the same wok over medium heat, add a little more oil if needed, then add everything in the tofu bowl and sauté for a few minutes until garlic starts to turn golden and shallots are wilted. If the wok looks dry, add a little more oil. (Don’t skimp on oil otherwise the noodles will clump up together.)
    Turn heat up to high then add noodles and sauce. Keep tossing until all the sauce is absorbed.
    Once sauce is absorbed, you can turn off the heat and taste the noodles for doneness. If they’re still undercooked, add a little more water and continue cooking, being careful not to add too much water!
    Once noodles are done, push them to one side of the pan. Add add little extra oil to the empty space and add eggs. Break yolks, then put noodles on top of eggs and cook for about 30 seconds. Flip and toss to mix eggs into noodles.
    Toss the cooked protein back in (unless you’re using shrimp and want to place them on top when plating). Then add bean sprouts, garlic chives and half the peanuts. Turn off the heat and toss until well mixed.
    Serve immediately with a lime wedge and extra peanuts on top. For a classic presentation you can add a little extra side of bean sprouts and some garlic chives garnish.
    Be sure to squeeze a bit of lime on top before eating!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's more to Pad Thai than the sauce :>). But the Sauce is important. I use about 1/3 cup of Tamarind Paste, Light Brown Sugar (or Palm Sugar), and Good Fish Sauce. Stir it all together over low heat until the sugar dissolves. I use a Strong Tablespoon of Crab Paste in Oil or Shrimp paste in Oil for the red color and flavor, plus Chili Garlic sauce for a little extra zing. I add that in after my sauce is done but you can also add while putting it all together. But never ever Ketchup!
    Here's a link to the original thread where I broke down what I use. https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ml#post1002314 Have fun it's a fun dish to make.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr covrt, we can hang! I used the dried shrimp and fresh shrimp till Deb developed an allergy to them. The radish is an add that you don't really notice until you have someone else's Pad Thai and it's not there. I'll try caramelizing the sugar next time!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.