Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Wait. How sure are you, here, that what happened in Minneapolis was caused by folks from Minneapolis? The reports I read said that 80% of those arrested were from out of state.

Majority of Minneapolis-St. Paul riot arrests are from Minnesota

Reports seem to vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Images of police using excessive force against peaceful protesters are going viral - Vox

"Video footage is going viral of police officers responding to protests Saturday night with excessive force, including battering and pepper-spraying peaceful demonstrators.

Most of the nationwide anti-police brutality protests started peacefully Saturday afternoon, but many took a more volatile turn on Saturday night. Some images show protesters vandalizing property, including setting fire to police cars and businesses.

But other videos show officers aggravating lawful participants with batons and, in one case, driving a police SUV into a crowd.

The protests began in Minnesota last week in response to a video showing a white Minneapolis police officer killing an unarmed black man, George Floyd. The protests have spread globally and taken on a broader call for an end to police brutality. "
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post

Image or link doesn’t appear on my iPad.

What is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mpls: Semi tanker truck drives into peaceful protest on closed roads. It's not even dark yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it?
    I can't see it either. Try again Guido please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Mpls: Semi tanker truck drives into peaceful protest on closed roads. It's not even dark yet.
    It’s been dark for three years and four months, ATMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The underlying problem is that the career of police officer attracts a high proportion of insecure bullies. Policy changes can only address the symptoms of that problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely chilling video. That crowd was peacefully protesting on a known closed highway. How can the driver get through! Based upon his speed, he new the crowd was clearly there. No effort to even try to slow down until he was on the crowd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s all related.

Richard Sachs - To the policeman whose foot met Hannah... | Facebook

My post on Facebook this evening.
    To the policeman whose foot met Hannah Silbaugh’s body while she was sitting still in protest: fuck you. And fuck your buddies for not beating the ever-loving shit out of you rather than be a part of your horror. You’re all no better than the National Guardsmen who murdered four innocent students at Kent State FIFTY YEARS AGO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it?
    Hmmmm.... Not sure why it isn't showing, I have looked on two machines and multiple browsers... It shows up in the initial post and your quote...

It's a graphic on the lifetime risk of being killed by the police broken down by sex and by race-ethnicity. African american men die at a rate of about 100 per 100,000.

White men are killed at a rate of about 35 per 100,000.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/dxaL...0.41.40_AM.png
    Last edited by guido; 05-31-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the policeman whose foot met Hannah Silbaugh’s body while she was sitting still in protest: fuck you. And fuck your buddies for not beating the ever-loving shit out of you rather than be a part of your horror. You’re all no better than the National Guardsmen who murdered four innocent students at Kent State FIFTY YEARS AGO.
    Oh, c'mon. You can't hold a whole police department responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole police department system? And if the whole police department system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our law enforcement systems in general? Oh wait. I guess if they're all standing around while the "one bad apple" is committing an assault, then they're all bad apples. So, yes, fuck them. And fuck the three murderers that are still running around free uncharged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeep runs down two women during protest in Visalia

Access Denied

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Jeep runs down two women during protest in Visalia

Access Denied
    sick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, c'mon. You can't hold a whole police department responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole police department system? And if the whole police department system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our law enforcement systems in general? Oh wait. I guess if they're all standing around while the "one bad apple" is committing an assault, then they're all bad apples. So, yes, fuck them. And fuck the three murderers that are still running around free uncharged.
    Respectfully I disagree. I believe that we can say the entire policing system is broken today. To many dubious acts of harassment and murder of innocent Brown People by Cops with essentially zero accountability.

If a bunch of white guys with long guns enter a state capitol and threaten elected officials, our President says "negotiate with them" and there are no arrests. When the same crowd is brown, out comes the rubber bullets and tear gas with calls to have National Guard troops shoot to kill. This then spills to create further action in the insane right wing/KKK/Fascists who then proceed to shoot Brown people down in the street or today try to run people over in their race for their rapture of an all out race war. We've been led into this pit of hell since the Reagan era through systematic elimination of a national conscious that has been replaced with identity politics and a current political party in charge that has abdicated. The police are complict with their passive/active support of the racially motivated policies and behavior. Being a racist is like pregnancy, you either are or you aren't. Right now we have to decide what America means.

I'll stop there as my blood is boiling right now.
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    Respectfully I disagree. I believe that we can say the entire policing system is broken today. To many dubious acts of harassment and murder of innocent Brown People by Cops with essentially zero accountability.

If a bunch of white guys with long guns enter a state capitol and threaten elected officials, our President says "negotiate with them" and there are no arrests. When the same crowd is brown, out comes the rubber bullets and tear gas with calls to have National Guard troops shoot to kill. This then spills to create further action in the insane right wing/KKK/Fascists who then proceed to shoot Brown people down in the street or today try to run people over in their race for their rapture of an all out race war. We've been led into this pit of hell since the Reagan era through systematic elimination of a national conscious that has been replaced with identity politics and a current political party in charge that has abdicated. The police are complict with their passive/active support of the racially motivated policies and behavior. Being a racist is like pregnancy, you either are or you aren't. Right now we have to decide what America means.

I'll stop there as my blood is boiling right now.
    Sbti was parodying a scene from the movie “Animal House”:

He then essentially said that the entire police system is broken.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jjmstang View Post
    Yes they stormed the capital ? YES
    Did they destroy anything ? NO
    Did they loot anything ? NO
    Did they light anything on fire and burn it down ? NO

What they did was for cause and effect only.

They didn't burn their own neighbor to the ground ? NO

VERY BIG DIFFERENCE
    Dudes with rifles show up, force their way into the state capitol, and cause the state legislature to stop conducting business, and don't get tear gassed? We know why, and it ain't because it's a "peaceful" demonstration. The threat of violence is rather explicit when guys show up strapped with AR-15s.

Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

Again, there's two sets of policing rules for minorities, specifically African Americans, and whites in this country. We have two rather high profile examples to prove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    Respectfully I disagree.
    Yes, sorry, I think we agree. I'm an old guy but someone else caught my lame sarcasm. I just substituted police department for fraternity in the first part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double secret probation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid that the suggestion that these problems, killing unarmed and frequently black people all across the country, are attributable to a few bad apples has lost all credibility with me. The aggressive punitive policing in our communities is a net minus for all of us. It is expensive, and produces a ripple effect of bad outcomes including periodic spasms of mass violence. (and yes it is wrong to destroy property and it is wrong to injure and kill innocent people and it is especially terrible when the state does it. All who do those things should be punished justly.)

Here is a simple suggestion that might help. What if we gave up the terms "they" and "them" when talking about broad sections of our communities? I live in a western suburb of Detroit- the idea that there is a problem in Detroit that does not affect me is like a passenger on the Titanic being not worried because the iceberg gashed the other side of the boat. We are all in this together.

We had an exchange student a few years ago from Barcelona and when he asked about health care in our country and I did my best to explain it, he got this puzzled look on his face and said, "don't you care about each other?"

Do we?
    When you get thirsty, remember- Four out of Five Great Lakes Prefer Michigan

DJ