Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I personally DGAF if the citizenry of the Twin Cities sets fire to every police station and squad car they can find.
    Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.:
    “Every time a riot develops, it helps George Wallace.”

I believe this remains true today, even if some liberals can't see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    "Sorry to report that the building housing Chris Kvale's framebuilding shop is gone as collateral damage. Embers and burning debris from the Hexagon bar across the street lit the roof of the Ivy Building on fire last night. It is an old 2 story industrial building, and Chris's shop was located on the ground floor. Fire took the roof, the second floor is a complete loss, and Chris's shop was flooded from the fire suppression effort above. Water literally raining down through the ceilings. He evacuated his space this morning. Given the nature of the building it is unlikely that it will be rebuilt. The cookie jar suffered no damage, but there is no idea of when it will be able to be put back in use."

So you're ok with Chris losing his shop? How would you feel if this was YOUR shop? Or are you saying arson & destruction of public property, violence and death should only apply to the Police? Which is just as insane. Please tell me this is simply emotional and not what you stand by.

For Christ sake, John, violence is never the answer, violence (via that cop) is what started this mess in the first place.
    What did peaceful protest get Colin Kaepernick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Sorry to report that the building housing Chris Kvale's framebuilding shop is gone as collateral damage. Embers and burning debris from the Hexagon bar across the street lit the roof of the Ivy Building on fire last night. It is an old 2 story industrial building, and Chris's shop was located on the ground floor. Fire took the roof, the second floor is a complete loss, and Chris's shop was flooded from the fire suppression effort above. Water literally raining down through the ceilings. He evacuated his space this morning. Given the nature of the building it is unlikely that it will be rebuilt. The cookie jar suffered no damage, but there is no idea of when it will be able to be put back in use."

So you're ok with Chris losing his shop? How would you feel if this was YOUR shop? Or are you saying arson & destruction of public property, violence and death should only apply to the Police? Which is just as insane. Please tell me this is simply emotional and not what you stand by.

For Christ sake, John, violence is never the answer, violence (via that cop) is what started this mess in the first place.
    Counterpoint, albeit also from people in a demographic that is also often held back and put down in the US simply because of the color of their skin...

Their Minneapolis Restaurant Burned, but They Back the Protest - The New York Times
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Counterpoint, albeit also from people in a demographic that is also often held back and put down in the US simply because of the color of their skin...

Their Minneapolis Restaurant Burned, but They Back the Protest - The New York Times
    From the NYT article :

But then she overheard her father, Ruhel Islam, speaking to a friend on the phone. “Let my building burn,” he said. “Justice needs to be served.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m all for violence as well. IDGAF what the leaders, elected or otherwise, of the black communities say (what do they know anyway…), it’s time to act, violently. Maybe we can start another thread that will detail the kind of violence needed. I don’t care if it’s towards people or things. Yelling and peaceful protesting isn’t getting it done, it’s time for broken bones and even death because that’s what will bring about change. I’m also in favor of destroying property whether it’s a police station, government building or, well, anything really. I’ve got a crew-cab pickup truck with a hitch on it so I can bring plenty of friends and materials. I’m pretty open this week. Let’s do this. Who’s taking the lead?

This is what we’re talking about, right?

(Just to be clear, I’m not wanting my town or people I know targeted with violence so keep that in mind when making plans. Thanks)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    What did peaceful protest get Colin Kaepernick?
    More worldwide fame and attention to the subject at hand, than being "just" a football player. Wasn't that his point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corso View Post
    more worldwide fame and attention to the subject at hand, than being "just" a football player. Wasn't that his point?
    lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More worldwide fame and attention to the subject at hand, than being "just" a football player. Wasn't that his point?
    Let's not forget the other part, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe anyone is advocating violence on this thread.

I am sitting here on a beautiful Sunday morning shaking my head.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Let's not forget the other part, eh?
    Broncos won'''t sign Colin Kaepernick after he turned down contract, says John Elway - Business Insider

The other part that he left San Fran, and wasn't "fired"? That his protest were on his employer's time?

Was Horscats inflection that Colin would have gotten his point across "better" if he burned down a stadium?

I believe violence is only going to lead to more death and destruction without actually moving the ball forward. Everyone is going to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

That's sort of how I feel about it. No violence. As justified as the rage is, and it is justified, violence isn't an answer for more reasons than I can list here.

Let's start with how these businesses put food on the tables of children and roofs over their heads. Do we really want hungry or homeless children because their parents' business or home is burned?

No violence. No matter what.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard one here.. violence is what they understand -it’s the language they speak. The military, the police, the AR15 knuckledraggers showing up to crack some heads. I am sure you are aware that they want everyone to speak their language. The police and the military will say that they train in peaceful resolution, but let’s be real that is a minor part of how they handle the situation if they use ‘peace’ at all..

I would 100% always hope for a peaceful solution. But, that just simply is not the reality when you are having that discourse with someone who does not understand Peace.

Is violence the answer? Not sure-but I’m very sure that the opposite wasn’t/isn’t working.

Peace at standing rock?
    Peace in Flint while they still drink lead tainted water?

At some point you have to speak the language.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

No violence. No matter what.
    Tell that to Chauvin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Tell that to Chauvin.
    Chauvin can rot in prison for the rest of his natural life as far as I’m concerned. Mobs of people, locals or outsiders, burning buildings and destroying more lives isn’t going to fix anything.

Are you going to feel the same way when the angry mobs or lone white supremacist terrorists torch your business?

No doubt that there must be a change of huge proportions at the top of city hall in Minneapolis as well as the police department and the union representing the police. The rot is clear to see given the many complaints against Chauvin that fell on deaf ears or were swept under the carpet by the union.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 05-31-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Chauvin can rot in prison for the rest of his natural life as far as I’m concerned. Mobs of people, locals or outsiders, burning buildings and destroying more lives isn’t going to fix anything.

Are you going to feel the same way when the angry mobs or lone white supremacist terrorists torch your business?

No doubt that there must be a change of huge proportions at the top of city hall in Minneapolis as well as the police department and the union representing the police. The rot is clear to see given the many complaints against Chauvin that fell on deaf ears or were swept under the carpet by the union.
    If the angered are also the oppressed, the underrepresented, and the victims, then I stand with them. If they’re just mobs, or a white supremacist then fuck ‘em.

From the reply above:
    From the NYT article :

But then she overheard her father, Ruhel Islam, speaking to a friend on the phone. “Let my building burn,” he said. “Justice needs to be served.”
    I’ll have what this guy’s having.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My original point was about outcomes. Most disadvantaged urban communities would be much better off without the constant oppression of aggressive policing.

It's long past time for big city mayors to get tough on the police. Huge budget cuts are coming. Cut the police to the bone. Replace them with teachers, social workers, and zero interest loans. And in generation you'd find out that those white supremacist motherfuckers were irrelevant all along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post

I am in agreement with you. I have two daughters and their husbands in the Twin Cities along with my five month old grandson. I read how several good folks here are advocating violence which may impact the ones I love and am stunned.

To be clear, I am not for police brutality or anything that harms other people. For those of you advocating violence, are you OK with having those you love directly impacted? I’m not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.:
    “Every time a riot develops, it helps George Wallace.”

I believe this remains true today, even if some liberals can't see it.
    Yeah, it's the liberals that don't see it.
    Only people like you see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey some of you are my friends, some may even be clients, so I don’t wanna offend or alienate. But the tree we’re trying to cut down here grew from a seed planted by Chauvin and his ilk. Without his actions, the reactions of others would never be necessary.

If the police (state) speaks a language, it also has to understand it when the people use it in the same conversation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between destruction of property and violence against humanity. We tend to lump them together. We say that burning down a police station or turning over a cop car is violence-when folks like me say that sometimes violence can be an answer, I by no means am condoning the harm of the innocent. I doubt anyone here that has used the term collateral damage would ever argue for violence against you and yours-I know they wouldn’t.

When we say violence-aggressive acts towards inanimate objects of no feeling is what I speak of.. human to human violence is another thing completely
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips