Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

The Arkansas Republican senator Tom Cotton has called the enslavement of millions of African people “the necessary evil upon which the union was built”.

Tom Cotton calls slavery 'necessary evil' in attack on New York Times' 1619 Project | World news | The Guardian

I'll be walking around, shaking my head in bewilderment for a few days after reading Tom Cotton's bile. What a worthless human being.

Oh, and fuck Mike Ditka, he of the "fair weather" democratic and First Amendment cheer leading squad: Mike Ditka: Kneeling athletes should 'get the hell out of the country' - CNN

Does it ever occur to authoritarians jackasses like these that the concern of import should be WHY people are taking a knee or protesting in the streets, not merely that they are? That the WHY should be examined rationally to see if maybe, just maybe, the WHY is legitimate, and vital to address? I know; the answer is "No". And that's the problem.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    The Arkansas Republican senator Tom Cotton has called the enslavement of millions of African people “the necessary evil upon which the union was built”.

Tom Cotton calls slavery 'necessary evil' in attack on New York Times' 1619 Project | World news | The Guardian

I'll be walking around, shaking my head in bewilderment for a few days after reading Tom Cotton's bile. What a worthless human being.

Oh, and fuck Mike Ditka, he of the "fair weather" democratic and First Amendment cheer leading squad: Mike Ditka: Kneeling athletes should 'get the hell out of the country' - CNN

Does it ever occur to authoritarians jackasses like these that the concern of import should be WHY people are taking a knee or protesting in the streets, not merely that they are? That the WHY should be examined rationally to see if maybe, just maybe, the WHY is legitimate, and vital to address? I know; the answer is "No". And that's the problem.
    Worry about Tom Cotton in 2024. Forget protofascism, he's just going to run as a straight up fascist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..Oh, and fuck Mike Ditka, he of the "fair weather" democratic and First Amendment cheer leading squad: Mike Ditka: Kneeling athletes should 'get the hell out of the country' - CNN...
    Wait, Mike Ditka is alive?
    Wait wait wait... Mike Ditka thinks that people actually care what Mike Ditka thinks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems Mr. Cotton is articulating a very fine reasoned argument why reparations for slavery are totally justified.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kind of tangential, but hey, it's racism too. Georgia Senator Is Criticized for Ad Enlarging Jewish Opponent Jon Ossoff's Nose - The New York Times You can click through to the Forward article if you want to see the original ad.

Antisemetic? Let me count the ways:

• Ossof's exaggerated nose;
    • Photo of that New Yorker Schumer; and
    • "...Trying to Buy Georgia"

Caught out, Purdue's campaign lies, "Obviously this was accidental".

Fuck White supremacy, wherever it rears its hateful head.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Caught out, Purdue's campaign lies, "Obviously this was accidental".

Fuck White supremacy, wherever it rears its hateful head.
    I am always left wondering who the hell is sitting there writing this shit up, and what their thought process is. Are they wondering how close to blatant race baiting they can tread? Are they laughing or cringing? 25 years old or 55+...The fact that folks sit around that try to figure out how to incite racialized hatred in pursuit of power is beyond what I can understand.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I am always left wondering who the hell is sitting there writing this shit up, and what their thought process is. Are they wondering how close to blatant race baiting they can tread? Are they laughing or cringing? 25 years old or 55+...The fact that folks sit around that try to figure out how to incite racialized hatred in pursuit of power is beyond what I can understand.
    And what would be worse? The evil cynicism of the folks who know what they're doing, or the hateful paranoia of the folks who truly believe in inferior races?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what would be worse? The evil cynicism of the folks who know what they're doing, or the hateful paranoia of the folks who truly believe in inferior races?
    I don't think it is evil cynicism, I think it is all true believers left... The cynics stepped out long ago. And if my little corner of Westchester is any indication, there is a whole new generation of high school boys being taught to think racism and anti-semitism is okay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anti-Semitism animates white supremacy. They take pages from the Holocaust denial playbook.
    • Distort the truth with outright lies and selective facts
    • Confuse those who don't know history
    • Use pseudo-scholarship to promote the agenda
    • Use "two-sides" fallacy to give the appearance of fairness
    • Claim that liberals suppress free speech
    • Go from justification to denial by declaring it a hoax
    • De-victimize a people to remove accountability for harm
    • Move abhorrent concepts into the mainstream
    • Change how history is transmitted between generations
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Umbrella man identified
    ]
    This is. It the time to trust MPD. The umbrella man was likely a cop.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops. This isn't the time to trust MPD.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In related news...I hate that the former TV actor uses ratings for everything. And, having been a career media person I know that ratings are not necessarily indicative of larger etc etc...but this weekly trade piece depressed me this morning.

From the you can lead a horse to water files....

Fox News Viewers Tune Out John Lewis Funeral | TV News Check
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The beat goes on. Another innocent Black man killed.

But this time, the murderer was arrested within days. This time, charged with murder. The times, are they a-changing?

Jonathan Price intervened in a domestic dispute, he didn’t stand by while some idiot slapped around his wife at a gas station.

His attorney said “When police arrived, I’m told, he raised his hands and attempted to explain what was going on. Police fired tasers at him and when his body convulsed from the electrical current, they ‘perceived a threat’ and shot him to death.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ce-shaun-lucas

Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progress, huh?

We suck.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just re-reading Ta-Nehisi Coates “Between the World and Me”. If you haven’t read it, you should.

We most definitely suck, and “we” includes all of us...I wrote more, and deleted it because Coates says it better.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post

We most definitely suck, and “we” includes all of us...
    We all suck. Some more than others.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small progress to report: Gandhi Mahal, a restaurant that was burned to the ground in June, reopened today in a new location about a half mile from my house.

Backstory from the NYT:

Gandhi Mahal opened in 2008, during the Great Recession. Although Mr. Islam believes in nonviolent protest — he named his restaurant in honor of Mohandas K. Gandhi — he empathizes with the frustration of many Minneapolis residents.

“I am going to continuously promote peaceful ways and nonviolent movement,” he said. “But our younger generation is angry, and there’s reason to be angry.”

So as mounted police fired tear gas into the crowd on Tuesday, the Islam family opened a room in their spacious restaurant to medics, who set up a makeshift field hospital. Ms. Islam said she saw at least 200 people come in and out on both Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Some needed to catch their breath after inhaling tear gas, she said. One woman had been hit in the eye by a rubber bullet, damaging her vision. A rubber bullet tore open the back of another man’s neck. When he fell unconscious, the medics laid him out on a table.

“We were just trying to do what we could to help our community,” said Ms. Islam, who helped treat wounded protesters. “Sure, we had our business. Sure, we were trying to keep our kitchen open. But more than anything, we were concerned for our people.”
    June:

Today:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss having food delivered.
    Jay Dwight