Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    No worries...it is frustrating to watch everything continue play to out and still no arrest(s)...I’m speaking of Chauvin and the other three.
    They have to investigate. Even in the case of Mohamed Noor who shot Justine Damond, it took over one month before an arrest warrant was issued.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Respectfully, I disagree.

An investigation has to happen, yes. But I don't disagree with the mayor and so many others who say that a black man would already be under arrest--for passing a possible counterfeit $20, perhaps.

Arrests would be understandable and defensible, and might relieve some of this anger.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    ^^^ Respectfully, I disagree.

An investigation has to happen, yes. But I don't disagree with the mayor and so many others who say that a black man would already be under arrest--for passing a possible counterfeit $20, perhaps.

Arrests would be understandable and defensible, and might relieve some of this anger.
    Agreed. I'd have more faith in the "give us time to investigate" if the Minny PD hadn't lied and CYAd for these guys at every turn of this so far. He's on tape crushing a man's neck with his knee, while the man pleads to breathe and for his mother.

It shouldn't take a prosecutor's office a month to figure out if that Manslaughter or Murder 2. What, they've got other more pressing cases right now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally DGAF if the citizenry of the Twin Cities sets fire to every police station and squad car they can find.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Same thing happened with the highway in Syracuse. Seems to be a theme.
    Well, the granddaddy racist of 20th century infrastructure was Robert Moses. Everyone else took their cues from him.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Same thing happened with the highway in Syracuse. Seems to be a theme.
    Poughkeepsie too. The north side of that town never recovered from the split caused by the 'arterial' (US 44/55) that was built in the 60's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This V place continues to educate me and find brotherhood within our little world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CNN is reporting that an arrest has been made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washington Post:

"Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said Floyd and Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their fatal encounter."

What. The. Fuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What. The. Fuck.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to report that the building housing Chris Kvale's framebuilding shop is gone as collateral damage. Embers and burning debris from the Hexagon bar across the street lit the roof of the Ivy Building on fire last night. It is an old 2 story industrial building, and Chris's shop was located on the ground floor. Fire took the roof, the second floor is a complete loss, and Chris's shop was flooded from the fire suppression effort above. Water literally raining down through the ceilings. He evacuated his space this morning. Given the nature of the building it is unlikely that it will be rebuilt. The cookie jar suffered no damage, but there is no idea of when it will be able to be put back in use.
    Rob Segal
    Built my first one back in '77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingbear View Post
    Sorry to report that the building housing Chris Kvale's framebuilding shop is gone as collateral damage. Embers and burning debris from the Hexagon bar across the street lit the roof of the Ivy Building on fire last night. It is an old 2 story industrial building, and Chris's shop was located on the ground floor. Fire took the roof, the second floor is a complete loss, and Chris's shop was flooded from the fire suppression effort above. Water literally raining down through the ceilings. He evacuated his space this morning. Given the nature of the building it is unlikely that it will be rebuilt. The cookie jar suffered no damage, but there is no idea of when it will be able to be put back in use.
    Have you talked to Chris? If so do you know if he needs any help with anything? I've emailed him but have not heard back.

Erik at Peacock Groove is also in this building at the far south side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingbear View Post
    I realized that with the cookie jar comment this may be misinterpreted, and want to clarify that I am not making light of this tragedy. Those who know (and love) Chris well know he always keeps a stocked cookie jar in the shop. The report of the damage is real, Chris's shop was located only 3 blocks or so from the 3rd Precinct police station which was burned to the ground last night.I helped him move out of the ruins this morning.
    Rob Segal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Have you talked to Chris? If so do you know if he needs any help with anything? I've emailed him but have not heard back.

Erik at Peacock Groove is also in this building at the far south side.
    pm sent
    Rob Segal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone heard from Curt Goodrich? He and the Family live in St Paul.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Washington Post:

"Minneapolis City Council Vice President Andrea Jenkins said Floyd and Chauvin knew each other for many years because they worked security at the same night club. Both men worked at El Nuevo Rodeo on Lake Street before their fatal encounter."

What. The. Fuck.
    Lotta local speculation that this wasn’t random, it was a cop settling an old score when the opportunity arose. Nobody’s connected all those dots yet so far as I know, and so it’s still just speculation, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it turns out to be true.

To close the loop, El Nuevo Rodeo was a block east of the 3rd Precinct, and it was totally torched last night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody have any knowledge of this? Reported to be a cop. I'm not posting the name that's being pushed around as I don't think it's be verified that I know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Has anyone heard from Curt Goodrich? He and the Family live in St Paul.
    We're safe and sound. Thanks for asking Frank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
    Anybody have any knowledge of this? Reported to be a cop. I'm not posting the name that's being pushed around as I don't think it's be verified that I know of.
    Where would conspiracies be, without guys carrying umbrellas in unlikely circumstances? That sure leads you to wonder...

Unfortunately, unless someone with access to lots of CCTV surveillance footage from the area can track that guy back to his car or some fixed location, it seems unlikely that we'll ever know with certainty who he is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by guido; 05-30-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver