Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think the NYT is playing checkers here for the following reasons:

Any requests from TIK TOK users would have been on top of normal demand from Trump supporters. Even if TIK TOK users did not show up, it would not matter, because the true Trump supporter would show. The tickets were not capped because they planned for overflow. The reality is Trump supporters did not show. That is the only fact we need concern ourselves with. His 'support' is waning.

The 1mm+ requests originated with Trump. We can safely infer this is a grossly inflated number since that is his habit. I doubt they had 100,000 requests including TikTok.

The campaign is now trying to spin this as TIK TOK (radical left) trying to subvert Trump and rile of his base. He thinks a riled up base is his advantage. I expect him to try to spin this into an example how the radical left will steal the election if mail in voting is allowed like they stole the tickets from his faithful supporters for this failed rally. I like AOC a lot, but she fell into a simple trap by cheering on TikTok in a tweet. She is one of the 4 women he loves to use to rile his base. She needs to be a little smarter.
    I prefer this narrative and think it is more robust than the NYT piece.

I'll put a reminder in my calendar to listen to Rush Limbaugh tomorrow. He'll give it to me straight. (see how much of this he parrots)
    On cue, Trump in LARGE CAPS about mail in trying to steal the election.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was the break through insight the republicans had and caught the democrats napping. They realized it was extremely cost effective to fund candidates at the local level to get control of redistricting.
    It's more than just that. They're also in control of polling locations and distribution. the Kentucky primary is going to be a trainwreck by design.

‘It’s going to be an angry mob’: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting | The Independent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having trouble tracking everything that is going sideways in Kentucky. A judge ruled that this drastic reduction would not result in vote suppression? A huge number of invalid ballots were mailed and cannot be used? Seems the first problem would be nullified if the second problem didn't also exist.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mitch must win Kentucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is why Chief Justice Roberts is the alpha and omega of 21st century election ratfucking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna be an absolute clusterfuck.. every name in a hat, draw one, whomevers name is drawn gets to be Prez for the next 4... give some time to cool down-it won’t be any worse than the goat wrangle that’s about to take place-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    It's more than just that. They're also in control of polling locations and distribution. the Kentucky primary is going to be a trainwreck by design.

‘It’s going to be an angry mob’: Kentucky cuts number of polling stations by 95 percent ahead of primary voting | The Independent
    From this: "In Jefferson County, KY home to the largest black population in Kentucky, there will be one polling station for 616,000 registered voters."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Police unions spend millions to influence policy in biggest US cities. It's time to change the paradigm.

Revealed: police unions spend millions to influence policy in biggest US cities | US news | The Guardian
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This pig wants all four to be "made whole" with their jobs back.

Police union leader: Minneapolis cops scapegoated for incompetent leadership | MPR News

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The talent some have is remarkable. I thought this was brilliant...seen on my ride today...thought this might be a place to share it...

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Why no sir, this wasn't a targeted attack against the only Black driver in Nascar; this noose has been here along along." is a HELL of a statement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    "Why no sir, this wasn't a targeted attack against the only Black driver in Nascar; this noose has been here along along." is a HELL of a statement.
    Unfortunate situation all around, since Wallace will likely face blow-back for this, even though he was in no way responsible
    for creating the situation in the first place. He never saw the "noose" (if you find the photo, it's a piece of rope, that requires some
    imagination to consider it a symbolic message of a noose). He also handled himself with class, most of the statements I read from him
    were reasonable and not divisive.

Sadly, twitter is a dumpster fire, (shocking) with people falsely claiming he blamed trump supporters, fake news, blah blah blah.
    Of course the numerous slurs and threats he's faced over his career are now also considered fiction, so wrong lessons learned,
    good job everyone.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"fired-wilmington-cop-we-are-just-going-to-go-out-and-start-slaughtering-them-f-ni-i-cant-wait-god-i-cant-wait"

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news...K3YKuxZqPvnrH8

The good news is that the Wilmington PD took the situation deadly seriously. If ever there was a QED moment concerning the existence of racism in, and excessive violence by, our police departments, this is it.....along with way too many other examples. Despicable. I hope they lose all of their retirement benefits too.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that Wilmington news is sickening. Sadly, I suppose it can't be shocking or surprising, but i still feel shocked. After seeing the recent vid from NY and then of course the abhorrent nonchalance of the Officer(s) who killed Mr Floyd, it is obvious there needs to be serious work throughout LE agencies, and of course that just reflects the work that needs to be done as a society.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, I saw that photo without context and thought "Noose".

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Unfortunate situation all around, since Wallace will likely face blow-back for this, even though he was in no way responsible
    for creating the situation in the first place. He never saw the "noose" (if you find the photo, it's a piece of rope, that requires some
    imagination to consider it a symbolic message of a noose). He also handled himself with class, most of the statements I read from him
    were reasonable and not divisive.

Sadly, twitter is a dumpster fire, (shocking) with people falsely claiming he blamed trump supporters, fake news, blah blah blah.
    Of course the numerous slurs and threats he's faced over his career are now also considered fiction, so wrong lessons learned,
    good job everyone.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today the Minneapolis City Council voted 11-0 in favor of moving forward with a ballot initiative that would change the city's charter so that public safety can be reformed: Council advances plan to dismantle Minneapolis Police Dept. | MPR News

For all of their radical talk, I think a ballot initiative is an effort to maintain the status quo and put the lack of change on voters.

Yes, the city's charter requires that the City Council, “fund a police force of at least 0.0017 employees per resident, and provide for those employees’ compensation.” The police department is currently 337 employees above that requirement. They could seriously shrink the department and repurpose those resources without a ballot initiative.

And, the minimum employee requirement says nothing about them being sworn police officers. There's not a thing that anyone has raised that would prevent the City Council from reclassifying police department positions as social workers or mental health professionals. Just because we've always thought of cops as gun toters doesn't mean it needs to be that way going forward.

In sum, big talk, weak sauce, leadership-from-the-rear abdication of their responsibilities as elected officials to follow through.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Today the Minneapolis City Council voted 11-0 in favor of moving forward with a ballot initiative that would change the city's charter so that public safety can be reformed: Council advances plan to dismantle Minneapolis Police Dept. | MPR News

For all of their radical talk, I think a ballot initiative is an effort to maintain the status quo and put the lack of change on voters.

Yes, the city's charter requires that the City Council, “fund a police force of at least 0.0017 employees per resident, and provide for those employees’ compensation.” The police department is currently 337 employees above that requirement. They could seriously shrink the department and repurpose those resources without a ballot initiative.

And, the minimum employee requirement says nothing about them being sworn police officers. There's not a thing that anyone has raised that would prevent the City Council from reclassifying police department positions as social workers or mental health professionals. Just because we've always thought of cops as gun toters doesn't mean it needs to be that way going forward.

In sum, big talk, weak sauce, leadership-from-the-rear abdication of their responsibilities as elected officials to follow through.
    I am interested in seeing how this plays out. Obviously, Lt Bob Kroll in a recent interview on a podcast seems to think the police can hold the city hostage and this is all going to blow over back to status quo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am interested in seeing how this plays out. Obviously, Lt Bob Kroll in a recent interview on a podcast seems to think the police can hold the city hostage and this is all going to blow over back to status quo.
    The police are now in the midst of a seeming (but denied) work slowdown. I don't see a reason they can't keep it up for five months.

Kroll might not be wrong that he can turn public opinion by November. The state legislature already adjourned a special session without doing anything on policing. There are no signs that anyone wants to own the reforms.