User Tag List

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Interesting that you mention this, its actually more important than you might realize, since Texas is one of the largest purchasers of Textbooks they are often slanted to appease them. These textbooks are then bought by other states that don't have the same pull.

For example, the Alamo, this is the only reason you've even heard of it. More then likely it wouldn't be in any textbook, except to get Texas to buy the book.

If I had a dollar for every time a student of mine was outraged at the fake history that they were taught in school, and the things that they just weren't taught, well.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Taxes taken in from the public should be used for public (school) use only. I agree on that. Folks who pay these taxes sometimes send their children to independent schools, but still pay the taxes. It's a bit messy, drawing the line here. That's all I got, unless my brain switches back on.
    We all pay taxes, and every child may attend public school, sending your child to a private school is a choice.

IDEA and other laws makes it so that a public school has to provide the necessary services to every child, under an IEP and is supposed to not discriminate, private schools can pick and choose their students and can discriminate in this way at will.

I will say that there are problems with the IEP process, but they could be and should be rectified. And under the Endrew ruling things have gotten worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vvv321 View Post
    Interesting that you mention this, its actually more important than you might realize, since Texas is one of the largest purchasers of Textbooks they are often slanted to appease them. These textbooks are then bought by other states that don't have the same pull.

For example, the Alamo, this is the only reason you've even heard of it. More then likely it wouldn't be in any textbook, except to get Texas to buy the book.
    For my generation - the only thing I know about the Alamo is that it does not have a basement. - thank you Paul Reubens

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all pay taxes, and every child may attend public school, sending your child to a private school is a choice.

The parent sending a child to an independent school is paying a small amount (taxes) for the child attending public school.

I'm not judging. I don't even have children, but my taxes help pay for the education of others. I'm cool with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IDEA and other laws makes it so that a public school has to provide the necessary services to every child, under an IEP and is supposed to not discriminate, private schools can pick and choose their students and can discriminate in this way at will.

I will say that there are problems with the IEP process, but they could be and should be rectified. And under the Endrew ruling things have gotten worse.
    One can't have it both ways. If private schools do not get public funding, then they should be able to choose which students to enroll, often wanting the most gifted ones. And I assume when you used the word discriminate you are choosing this definition "recognize a distinction; differentiate" rather than the other definition "make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, sex, or age."

As to IDEA and IEPs, how have they gotten worse under this decision? It appears the court stated that the district has to better than the "de minimis" standard especially for special needs students. Again, this is a question of equality or equity. I would think a progressive society would strive for the equity outcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

private schools can pick and choose their students and can discriminate in this way at will.
    Rooted in the discrimination of their customers. If private school customers placed community and equity metrics above test scores and alumni college choices ...

I'm just a regular person. But in this time of evaluation--does remote college measure up to tuition rates, is college worth it in a general sense--I feel that there's a huge gap, and opportunity, in finding metrics that explain and track the relative value of an education. It has to go way beyond what someone stands to earn, which will probably always favor the private school crowd, and go to what someone returns to society.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Rooted in the discrimination of their customers.

Isn't that the way college works, even at the state university model? The admissions people create the cross-section they want. I mean, not everyone can fit every place. So, criteria are established. This guy is a math prodigy. This woman will add to the theatre department. The tall cat can dunk. I won't even get into ethnic diversity, but can imagine there's an algorithm for everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that the way college works, even at the state university model? The admissions people create the cross-section they want. I mean, not everyone can fit every place. So, criteria are established. This guy is a math prodigy. This woman will add to the theatre department. The tall cat can dunk. I won't even get into ethnic diversity, but can imagine there's an algorithm for everything.
    For sure. I'm just saying that current criteria do not appear to address long-standing issues in Minneapolis and other places. The challenge is to find criteria that change the value prop of education, and make the exclusion of marginalized communities an outdated model.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    For sure. I'm just saying that current criteria do not appear to address long-standing issues in Minneapolis and other places. The challenge is to find criteria that change the value prop of education, and make the exclusion of marginalized communities an outdated model.
    My mother (RIP) was a founding member of the Head Start program in New Jersey, and a lifelong educator (pre-vocational girls, normal K-8 grades, and later vice and then full on principal in the Jersey City school system.) On retirement, she worked for the State Board of Ed mentoring possible future candidates for appointments as principals through New Jersey.

I'm embarrassed to write that I lost track of Head Start's workings. But I believe whatever they were doing at the front end is what we need more of today.

Head Start (program) - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mother (RIP) was a founding member of the Head Start program in New Jersey, and a lifelong educator (pre-vocational girls, normal K-8 grades, and later vice and then full on principal in the Jersey City school system.) On retirement, she worked for the State Board of Ed mentoring possible future candidates for appointments as principals through New Jersey.

I'm embarrassed to write that I lost track of Head Start's workings. But I believe whatever they were doing at the front end is what we need more of today.

Head Start (program) - Wikipedia
    I’ve read some about your mother in your writing e-Richie, and finding out that she started Head Start in NJ just confirms my suspicion that she was someone to admire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The parent sending a child to an independent school is paying a small amount (taxes) for the child attending public school.

I'm not judging. I don't even have children, but my taxes help pay for the education of others. I'm cool with that.
    The parent sending a child to an independent school isn't paying any taxes for their child to attend public school.

They, like you (and everyone else who pays taxes regardless of whether or not they have children), are paying a small part of their taxes for the funding of a public schooling system because that has been determined to be a public good that benefits society.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously public school is a great place to allocate more money while defunding and demilitarizing the police.

But let's not forget that Christian Cooper went to Harvard. And that didn't stop Amy Cooper from attempting to weaponize the police against him because he was a black man.

White Supremacy is a white problem.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ABiCi View Post
    The parent sending a child to an independent school isn't paying any taxes for their child to attend public school.

They, like you (and everyone else who pays taxes regardless of whether or not they have children), are paying a small part of their taxes for the funding of a public schooling system because that has been determined to be a public good that benefits society.
    That’s what I mean here. We all pay taxes that fund the public school system whether our children attend a local school or they don’t. And the we includes people like me who have no children.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Agreed, but in the interview with the Maya Santamaria the day after the incident she downplayed the fact.
    There are lots of stories that report the fact they had both worked at the club, but i've seen nothing before today that stated anything
    other than they both had worked there. Maybe i just haven't seen more reporting about it.

But i recall reading basically what's in this interview, where she said "i don't suspect that they recognized each other".
    (Which is interesting choice of words, because in another interview she said "at first I didn't recognize that it was George".)

Interview with club owner: George Floyd and now-former Officer Derek Chauvin | | wfsb.com

This NPR piece seems typically vague, reporting only that they were co-workers.
    George Floyd And Derek Chauvin Were Once Co-Workers, Report Says : NPR
    "She said that the two could have crossed paths, though Chauvin mostly worked outside as an off-duty officer,
    while Floyd primarily was inside as a bouncer. She wasn't sure if they knew each other"

It's somewhat problematic that given the profile of this story, two weeks later MSM hasn't exactly nailed down the relationship,
    or if it was potentially a significant factor in the incident.

-g
    what a reporting shit show this has turned out to be. doesn't anyone actually investigate anymore? that's rhetorical.

Nightclub co-worker retracts story that Chauvin and Floyd clashed.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Obviously public school is a great place to allocate more money while defunding and demilitarizing the police.

But let's not forget that Christian Cooper went to Harvard. And that didn't stop Amy Cooper from attempting to weaponize the police against him because he was a black man.

White Supremacy is a white problem.
    Thanks for reminding us of the subject of this thread.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Thanks for reminding us of the subject of this thread.
    Uh, it sounds like I was being snide. I was not!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    what a reporting shit show this has turned out to be. doesn't anyone actually investigate anymore? that's rhetorical.

Nightclub co-worker retracts story that Chauvin and Floyd clashed.

-g
    Everybody wants their 15 mins. F'n loser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Thin Blue Lineup.

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s pretty funny.
    Can we get an attribution?

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    The Thin Blue Lineup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transgender health protections reversed by Trump administration | MPR News

Then scary stuff like this slips through the cracks. This administration needs to go...