Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

I am just hearing that the Police precinct has been set on fire? That seems like where the energy should focused..

Save the local businesses-Target and AutoZone can rebuild, they have profited long enough and I’m hard pressed to shed too many tears. I am all for a peaceful protest and a consensual dialogue, but when no one is listening and your words arent heard.. sometimes a brick through the window will get some attention.

It might seem as though I totally condone this behavior-a lot of it I don’t.

Focused energy on the problem, limit collateral damage. I can understand the frustration, it’s easy, we are asking you as ‘officers of the law’ to not kill black people or people in general. When they don’t listen, it’s the bed you made.

It’s ugly out there Caleb-I feel for your community, stay safe-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

I’ve read a few quotes that have essentially implied that destroying and looting Target and Auto Zone isn’t so much a big deal because they’re large corporations. Well, some people make a living working in those stores and Target in particular, is known for developing in urban locales that not many retailers care to venture into. Target is also HQ’d in Minneapolis and is very involved in the community. If those retailers believe that their employees or customers are threatened or that their properties are unprotected, they’re not coming back.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mayor responded to this from the fomenter of violence in chief.

"I can’t stand back & watch this happen to a great American City, Minneapolis. A total lack of leadership. Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act together and bring the City under control, or I will send in the National Guard & get the job done right...

The other day it was retwitting "the only good democrat is a dead democrat."

Whenever it was: "to law enforcement.... just bang their heads a little more when you put them in the squadcar."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more offering from my feeble mind...after watching the video the other day, there is no doubt in my mind that Derek Chauvin (the cop) killed George Floyd and he hasn’t been arrested. The mayor, local politicians, somebody with some stones needs to have this man arrested and growing even bigger stones, meet face to face with people and have a discussion. Hiding on ZOOM at this point and pleading with people from scripted messages does nothing and guess what...nobody is listening.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I’ve read a few quotes that have essentially implied that destroying and looting Target and Auto Zone isn’t so much a big deal because they’re large corporations. Well, some people make a living workin in those stores and Target in particular, is known for developing in urban locales that not many retailers care to venture into. Target is also HQ’d in Minneapolis and is very involved in the community. If those retailers believe that their employees or customers are threatened or that their properties are unprotected, they’re not coming back.
    I read this with an open mind-I completely understand and do not necessarily disagree.. and part of me wonders why they choose to ‘develop in urban locales.’ I’m going to bet that the driving reason is profit? They realize that these areas are a dessert when it comes to services/goods. They will provide those at a cost-

I do not know enough about Target as a company, and they truly could be a humanitarian based Corp. I simply do not know-

Rwsaunders-I get it
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick to what matters > people. The lawless actions are a direct result of no clear voice of reason speaking directly arm in arm with these affected communities. There are many examples of how to do a better job and that counts for nada because this is here and now. Police Chiefs and Mayors need to lock arms, walk the d@mn streets and parlay until their throats burn. We are nothing without a connection which, evidently, is lacking.

This is NOT cosplay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been in two riots in my life, and until you have seen a crowd of people unite in rage and act as a single entity it is as difficult to comprehend as a flood seen on television versus one seen in person.

then there is this:

Nema Williams - #repost @facet
    They got ya boy on tape......
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The present police problems in Minneapolis reminds me of situation maybe 10 or 15 years ago when a white guy violinist that played in their city orchestra put together his bicycle at the airport after a flight to ride home. This was really late at night. There was no friendly bicycle access to and from the airport so he rode on a section that was designated for cars only. My memory is really sketchy on this but from what I remember he was almost out of that section when he was stopped by 2 police officers and ordered to go back. Of course our college educated musician pointed out the lack of logic of the policeman's demand and this turned into a confrontation with the cyclist getting tased. Of course the real issue was the police culture of always being in control and never backing down after they had made a demand whether it reasonable or not. This situation to me was an illustration that some police can see themselves as the boss and their subjects are going to obey and there is no oversight to keep them in check. Eventually this case went to court and I don't think it worked out well for our cyclist. I vaguely recall his name was Greene. Anyway, I remember reading the comments section of the newspaper articles and there were many that said the cyclist got exactly what he deserved for questioning the police order and that the police officer had every right to tase the guy (who was hurt by the tasing). I was left with the understanding that logic doesn't always work in these situations and made me wonder about the culture of Minneapolis police department. An alternative tactic the policeman might have used is to tell the cyclist that bicycling isn't allowed on that stretch of road so lets stick your bike in the trunk and I'll take you to where its not prohibited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Less smoke in the air today, but more helicopters.

Noteworthy in the above photo: The roof in the foreground is the Pratt School, which was John Dewey's lab school when he was on the faculty at the U of M. In the upper left of the frame is the football stadium we squandered almost a half a billion dollars of public money on. Down the hill to the left a couple blocks and out of the photo is the site of Minneapolis's first race riot.

For anyone interested in more about the city's racial past, Jim Crow of the North is worth a watch:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

The largest mass hanging in United States was in the Twin Cities. My first racial memories was the trial of AIM activists Means and Banks for Wounded Knee.

So you have the blacks, the native Americans, followed by the Hmong in the 80's and then the Somalis.
    A long legacy of racism.

In my hometown, the police force has received a lot of para-military gear from the US Gov. The funniest thing was the armor troop carrier (MRAP MRAP - Wikipedia) which was too heavy and wrecked local streets.

If you are a hammer, all you look for are nails.

When I was growing up, diversity meant some of my friends were Luthern, some Catholic. If I can grow, anyone can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@vertical_doug yes, although the largest mass hanging was at Mankato. There were both mass hangings and forced internment at Fort Snelling, though. And, Dred Scott (yes, that Dred Scott) was held as a slave to an army officer there.

I know you know the city well, but for those looking from afar a bit more context might be useful. Most everything people are seeing labeled "St. Paul" and/or "Midway" today is coming from the old Rondo neighborhood. Rondo was largely paved over to create Interstate 94. The photo of the graffiti above is from the outside of a bend the interstate makes to go around a Frank Lloyd Wright house before straightening out to take aim at Rondo. There's a new documentary largely about the racial dynamics of the route available through Amazon.

The short story is that I-94 was deliberately designed to destroy a black community in the short run, and in the long run now provides the infrastructure for whites to avoid integration. When I used the language of our freeway system as an infrastructure of white supremacy upthread, I meant that its creation was guided by a white supremacist ideology, and it continues to serve as an infrastructure for resisting integration, both physically and financially. It's also the quickest route from our kneeling police officer's house to the 3rd Precinct where he worked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone has their own experience. I work in the busiest ER in the state, many shifts in the psych unit. I deal with criminals drug addicts, alcoholics, and street people all day long. To put on your uniform every day when you leave the house with some level of uncertainty about your safe return is the life of a police officer. I am not discussing law-breaking police officers, nor condoning their actions. These are the people that by and large keep us safe. The average Joe has no idea of what the above mentioned criminal who lives on the other side of the law is like. How many of you have wrestled a drug using criminal down and restrained them to a bed and loaded them with sedatives so they do not hurt the staff or themselves? And managed their care until they are safe to return either to the jail or streets or mental health facility, generally with no memory of the event that caused them to be arrested? The police deal with these types of people all day long. With great risk to their safety. There are some scary and dangerous people out there amongst us and there is no mental barrier for them between right and wrong. If you're at the wrong place at the wrong time then you're on your own with regards to your property and safety. I am sorry that on occasion Law Enforcement gets it wrong. They should be and usually are punished. My experience with them has always been positive unless I am doing something I am not supposed to be doing. And that's the point of my little story here is that if people are doing what they are supposed to be doing very little of this kind of thing occurs. That's what I taught my son, to do what he was supposed to. And that's the way I live my life to the best of my ability. MLK's non-violent social change agenda worked very well it seems. However when you destroy and steal other's property then you are a criminal and deserve to be prosecuted. While I see the point of anger about that citizen's death, I don't see or support the destruction of property as an act of protest worthy of one moment of anyone's time. The message is lost in the violence and looting, and the cost to society increases financially along with the decaying morality of America, a country of which we all are citizens. Thank you for your time. We are all entitled to our own opinion. And I will defend your right to express that opinion as long as no one is hurt in the process.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thing happened with the highway in Syracuse. Seems to be a theme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    In my hometown, the police force has received a lot of para-military gear from the US Gov. The funniest thing was the armor troop carrier (MRAP MRAP - Wikipedia) which was too heavy and wrecked local streets.
    One simple step is to stop militarizing our police forces. One response to the 9/11/2001 attacks was to greatly accelerate militarization through the Patriot Act. Donating used military gear like those armored vehicles started with a law in 1994, I believe, and kicked off a rapid rise in SWAT teams. The War on Drugs met the War on Terror, and we've created a war on people. Police aren't military, and vice versa. Time to back the fuck up.

If you are a hammer, all you look for are nails.
    And we should stop buying those $435 hammers.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minnesota Freedom Fund

A list of organizations that need support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    One simple step is to stop militarizing our police forces. One response to the 9/11/2001 attacks was to greatly accelerate militarization through the Patriot Act. Donating used military gear like those armored vehicles started with a law in 1994, I believe, and kicked off a rapid rise in SWAT teams. The War on Drugs met the War on Terror, and we've created a war on people. Police aren't military, and vice versa. Time to back the fuck up.
    And we should stop buying those $435 hammers.
    After the Ferguson protests, John Oliver had a genuinely insightful monologue connecting the militarization of police forces with "spare" War on Terror toys to the escalation of urban protests:

Datapoint: We elected a reasonably progressive sheriff in 2018. Throughout these protests, he has refused to default to riot gear for deputies. When the sheriff's department has been guarding properties, like the courthouse last night, protests have remained peaceful.

The difference is night and day from the city police that came out in full battle rattle on day one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I read this with an open mind-I completely understand and do not necessarily disagree.. and part of me wonders why they choose to ‘develop in urban locales.’ I’m going to bet that the driving reason is profit? They realize that these areas are a dessert when it comes to services/goods. They will provide those at a cost-

I do not know enough about Target as a company, and they truly could be a humanitarian based Corp. I simply do not know-

Rwsaunders-I get it
    No worries...it is frustrating to watch everything continue play to out and still no arrest(s)...I’m speaking of Chauvin and the other three.
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 05-29-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thing happened with the highway in Syracuse. Seems to be a theme.
    The highway through Syracuse (I81) has reached the end of its useful life. There's been an ongoing debate for ten years on the appropriate form of replacement. White suburbanites want the highway re-built in the same configuration as it is now, continuing to divide the city. Others push for a tunnel that is both prohibitively expensive and technically challenging. Reasonable people (and the state DOT) realize that tearing down the current highway (there's already a bypass around the city, I481) and improving surface roads is the way to go. But the white suburbanites keep on fighting to keep a major highway to allow them easy access to/through the city while they remain in residence in their current neighborhoods. Hoping sanity breaks out, but not expecting it...

Greg (white suburbanite who favors removing the highway through Syracuse)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Selma, Alabama. 1965.

Photo by Steve Schapiro.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 05-29-2020 at 11:02 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin