Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by moondog-sparky View Post
    <snip> it's atrocious what goes on and many of us, myself included, look the other way because it's not us. well... it us. all of us. <snip>
    If there is one thing the nationwide protests are accomplishing, it is raising awareness and peeling back the curtain on a lot of heinous shit that's been going on for years outside the purview of a large segment of the populous. Hopefully it results in more civic engagement as we roll through the voting season....and continues beyond. Hopefully it also wakes up some of the folks who have voted Red for years under the assumption that the Republican Party represents conservative/family/Christian values - maybe enough of them will think rationally and with a conscience when the ballots get distributed to counter-balance the increase in right-wing extremists and white nationalists who will vote Chump specifically because of his bigotry and racism. Maybe.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have they been occurence of cops marching peacefully with the protesters ?

Because if the theory of "there are some bad cops but most of us are good" is true and I was one of those cops appaled by what happened to George Floyd and my own peers engaging in acts of violence I would totally go and ask all my colleages to ask the protesters to join them and show my support, with signs asking for a new gen of police, and actually protect them from my own colleagues, white supremacists, etc.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-01-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post

Because if the theory of "there are some bad cops but most of us are good" is true and I was one of those cops appaled by what happened to George Floyd and my own peers engaging in acts of violence I would totally go and ask all my colleages to ask the protesters to join them and show my support, with signs asking for a new gen of police, and actually protect them from my own colleagues, white supremacists, etc.
    Yes!

Auburn police chief marches with those protesting George Floyd’s death, takes a knee, too - syracuse.com
    NYPD officers kneel with protesters - CNN
    Why some police officers stood with protesters outraged over George Floyd'&#39;'s death - ABC News

Empathy is the way to go.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow...insane. This indeed will and absolutely should go viral! These guys should be easy enough to ID and should be brought up on charges. No excuse for this.

"light em up"??1??? WTF!!! Women on a porch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Schenectady police chief and a number of officers last night, yes. They walked with the protesters and when people took a knee they did too.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankfully, yes they did.

Volunteers Take To Boston Streets To Clean Damage After Protests

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll say this as politely as I can, our President is a fucking buffoon. A coward, a bully, and a burgeoning autocrat who is leading us, again, down a dark path. First he cages immigrants, how he's calling for violent action against domestic minority groups. Where does it end?

On the phone call, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker told Trump the nation was craving a steady hand from the top.
    "Rhetoric coming out of the White House is making it worse, people are experiencing real pain," Pritzker, a Democrat, told the President. "We've got to have national leadership calling for calm and legitimate concern for protestors."
    "I don't like your rhetoric that much either," Trump fired back. "You could have done much better on coronavirus."

An agitated Trump encourages governors to use aggressive tactics on protesters - CNNPolitics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    The Schenectady police chief and a number of officers last night, yes. They walked with the protesters and when people took a knee they did too.
    That is great and the kinds of image everybody need in these times. Thanks !
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Suddenly people silent about murder have become quite vocal about looting."

Seen on the internet...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume all the MAGAs who were outraged at the NFL "protesting on the clock" are equally as outraged to see the few good police officers kneeling on the clock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, that whole virus thing is over then? It seems so eight days ago.

Some talking head said, both events are connected....i.e. things impacting certain groups more than others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are witnessing the limitations of a person who thinks faking it is making it.

It's past time to stop listening to him, and start listening to people in the real world.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bunker Bonespurs is telling governors to be tough guys:
    "You have to dominate, if you don’t dominate you’re wasting your time. They’re going to run over you, you’re going to look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like someone is decompensating.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Our White Friends Desiring to Be Allies | Sojourners

I was led to this article by an Instagram post from Jessie Diggins. It's helping me start to collect my thoughts, so that I can do something for someone.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    For Our White Friends Desiring to Be Allies | Sojourners

I was led to this article by an Instagram post from Jessie Diggins. It's helping me start to collect my thoughts, so that I can do something for someone.
    Thanks. This is very, very, very good - I also urge us all to read this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New: George Floyd's independent autopsy determines cause of death was homicidal asphyxia.

The original:
    "Floyd's initial autopsy said the combined effects of being restrained, potential intoxicants in Floyd's system and his underlying health issues, including heart disease, likely contributed to his death."

The original seems like in other instances could be:
    The cop fired the gun but the perp had a heart attack in the .00001 nanosecond before the bullet hit his heart. Lead poisoning developed quickly thereafter.
    or:
    The cop pushed the perp off a 200 foot cliff but the criminal had a heart attack 3 feet before he assaulted the earth with his body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    All of those videos posted are just insane.....I'm in complete agreement that everyone involved or in charge should be fired and prosecuted.

I think that a lot of people who watch those will have a hard time ever trusting a police officer again.
    No disrespect, but only a white person would (could) say that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to go back to earlier in the thread where someone was condemning the looting of Target which is a local company....this from Adweek (you don’t need the whole article as this is enough in general)...

« Why Demonstrators Protesting the Death of George Floyd in Minneapolis Keyed In on Target

As protests unfolded across the United States last week and escalated through the weekend, hundreds of businesses across the country were damaged. Many of those businesses weren't targeted for specific reasons, but some were—most notably a Target on Lake Street in Minneapolis, which was near the epicenter of the initial George Floyd protests.

Target has a history of donating to local police organizations and in 2015 settled a hiring discrimination complaint for $2.8 million. Locals also claimed that this particular Target location was allegedly refusing to sell to demonstrators the supplies needed to neutralize the chemical irritants used by police to control crowds.

Our story from Minneapolis-based reporter Mónica Marie Zorrilla goes into great detail the relationship Target has with the local community and how its past actions led demonstrators to take action against the brand »

And, I trust some here have read, in addition to the my post before about the restaurant that was burned in Minneapolis saying they totally understood as justice was more important, the Washington Post article today with several other restaurants that were destroyed/ damaged in Washington DC and the owners saying it was more important that justice for all people be realized.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Wow...insane. This indeed will and absolutely should go viral! These guys should be easy enough to ID and should be brought up on charges. No excuse for this.

"light em up"??1??? WTF!!! Women on a porch?
    Most of these disgusting cops that are doing this, hiding behind a badge, are taping over their badge number so that they cannot be identified.
    I am not anti police whatsoever, but the ones that got a job knowing who they are and what they would be allowed to do with a badge on are human scum.