Well, first non-intro post, so here goes:

I'm in the final stages of figuring out some frame specs for a bikepacking/singletrack build I'm gonna to eventually tackle, and I'm getting all wishy washy on choosing a dropout style. The primary specs I NEED (want?) to have is spacing of 12x142 (non-boost) for the 29r wheels I've got, and it has to have a replaceable dropout hanger/chip. The conundrum is weighing the pros/cons of the various options out there. Obviously, there are countless options for dropouts with replaceable hangers. I've been leaning towards the Syntace setup, which if nothing else, would provide a little leniency in fabrication re: aligning the wheel (through the different offset capture nuts), but I'm curious about the snapring dropouts PMW offers. It seems like a kinda nifty concept, having the hanger floating(ish) until captured and tightened via the axle. Obviously, one would still need to be able to grasp the snapring for removal if the hanger was ever damaged and needed to be replaced, and that in itself requires a tool with tiny enough tips for inserting into the snapring holes. Most other DO systems, the hanger can be replaced with the same hex set one usually has with them on rides/trips.

For what it's worth, I really can't find too much on the web, and definitely not on here (Velocipedesalon) re: this style of dropout, that alone suggests it's not something that's used much. Maybe there's a reason why?

PMW DR2096 snapring dropout The dr2095 is a lighter/thinner version of the same thing. Steel of course.

-Chris