Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vehicles --- Subaru

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vehicles --- Subaru

--- looking for a new vehicle to replace tammy's mini cooper...
    any good's or drawback's for Subaru...!?
    your thoughts and model preference appreciated...

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vehicles --- Subaru

On our 2nd Subaru Outback 4cyl:
    - 2000 head gasket went at 75k and fixed under 7yr/100k warranty (bought new and traded-in for new 2009)
    - 2009 head gasket went at 103k and not fixed under expired 7yr/100k warranty
    (not paying to fix head gasket leak on both sides, skipped 105k service including expensive timing belt, just running it until it dies then buying a Toyota or Lexus)

My mother's 2001 Forester head gasket went at 83k.
    (my mother rarely drives and her 7yr/100k warranty was expired so she lived with the leak for a few years before dumping the car)

They are great up until about 100k, then they get very expensive. If one thinks it is worth putting money into the car (IMHO, often not), they will last another 100k.

The head gasket thing is still an issue even with the new ones (4cyl or 6cyl same issue, turbo only makes it worse).

Lots of other Subaru feedback if you do a search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We have a 2017 Outback. So far its great. Very few problems other than a battery replacement that was covered under warranty. We called a few dealers and got the best price at Classic on Roswell Rd. I think there is a dealer closer to you and don't know how the dealers compare. I have 2 x yakima racks installed on the factory rails. this seems to work well.

When shopping, we looked at many competitors. Specifically the Q5. the Audi was nicer on the inside and sportier. We both liked it better. We didn't like paying 20k-ish more. Also the resale value on the Outback is substantially better than the Q5. Anyway, where am I going with this? We would have been willing to pay a little extra for a sport package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a 2005 Outback and had endless electrical issues. It got T-Boned by a distracted driver who went right through a red light at about 35mph but I walked away just a bit shook up and stiff for 3 months. Insurance wouldn't total it so it get rebuilt and I got another 8 months out of it, but I have not looked back since I traded it for my first Prius which with the rear seats folded down takes more stuff and infinitely more reliable and cheap to drive.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    ...Very few problems other than a battery replacement that was covered under warranty...
    Thanks for the reminder, they eat batteries (about every 3 years).

On the 2009:
    11/2012 replaced
    8/2015 replaced
    7/2018 replaced
    5/2020 replaced (actually this past Monday but in fairness the car has sat idle for 1-2 weeks at a time in the past year)

At least by always going to the dealer and using Subaru batteries, we often get a discount based on the battery warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I had a 2005 Outback and had endless electrical issues. It got T-Boned by a distracted driver who went right through a red light at about 35mph but I walked away just a bit shook up and stiff for 3 months. Insurance wouldn't total it so it get rebuilt and I got another 8 months out of it, but I have not looked back since I traded it for my first Prius which with the rear seats folded down takes more stuff and infinitely more reliable and cheap to drive.
    My wife and I are seriously considering a Prius AWD. We are at a point in our life being DINKs and not caring what others think that even if we passed the original cool trend of owning a Prius, we just want a reliable, economical, and safe mode of transportation. We might also consider the Rav4 hybrid but no more Subarus for us.

Paul Hogan can go stuff it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are 3 years into a 2010 Outback. Have put about 60K on the clock. It's been fine, but when things go, they're expensive. They drive very nicely in the rain. I hear they're fine in snow, but I don't know. As far as just driving a car goes, it's loud and the ride is not exactly refined, plus the motor is not powerful, which I never thought I cared about, but it shouldn't be a PITA to overtake another car, IMO.

We put 100K on a Jetta Sportwagen until the diesels all got recalled and I loved that thing. If I wanted a practical car (and I don't value cars, so practical is the only kind I like) I would take a hard look at the Golf All-Track - AWD in a station wagon and not insanely priced. It's basically a Sportwagen with updates, unless I am mistaken, and we loved how ours drove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 Outback - Had for 3yrs, 75k miles. 2.4l engine. No mechanical issues during that time. Drove like a boat, but got killer gas mileage. Interior was alright. CVT takes some getting used to.

Looked at them again in MY2018. Nothing stood out. The 3.6 was included in my final 3 (along with Audi All-Road and Volvo V60 Cross Country). Audi then had their recall, so Outback v. V60. Ended up with CPO V60. Interior felt better, seats felt much better, drove very well, and the turbo'ed engine takes 87 octane. Definitely smaller than the Outback, but still fits an EZ-Up. If Subaru could get the Forester to have an interior inline with the Outback, that would've been a clear front runner, but, to me and in my limited test drive experience, the Forester interior was...not awesome.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 05-20-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a couple over the years. They were mechanically reliable with routine maintenance. Any issues I had were self induced (turbo tweaking etc).

They are heavy cars and return similar MPG to a small pickup. I sold both of mine before the 100k mark but know of plenty higher mileage cars still kicking. Head gaskets are said to become vulnerable at higher mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    ... If Subaru could get the Forester to have an interior inline with the Outback, that would've been a clear front runner, but, to me and in my limited test drive experience, the Forester interior was...not awesome.
    Never going to happen. Different price points. Different customers. The Forester is based on the Impreza platform.

I thought Subaru was getting it together after the Tribeca fiasco with the new Ascent but then they hobbled it with that terrible boxer 4cyl they have been supporting for too many years and then put a turbo on it which may only cause the head gaskets to fail even sooner.

Anyone who has asked me about an Outback during the past 2 years, I tell them to get the latest Toyota Rav4: Toyota build quality, similar cargo space, similar MPG, and the only small SUV that still has an actual transmission and not a CVT (which will fail). The Mazda CX-5 is also really good (know a few people that have them) but with such a small dealer network it is a pass for most.

Anyone who asked me before that, I tell them to get anything but a Subaru.

/rant over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 WRX STi. Probably not the most reasonable or reliable option out there, but you should get one because AWD and a big turbo is fun!
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second the Volvo V60 recommendation. We have the FWD version, not AWD. Works fine in the winter, gets a consistent 32mpg. Ours is a 2017, last year of limited foot room in the back. The newer ones have several inches more. Drives really nicely. Very comfortable front seats and driver's side has seat elevation as well as front back etc.

We drove the Subaru but it felt loud and clumsy. We also drove the VW Alltrack which felt balky (auto transmission) and noisy. Volvo is smooth and quiet. It is more expensive, especially when you get into the AWD and sport wagon trims, but at the level we bought the difference felt like money well spent.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the outback is the family vehicle. my get back and forth the 4 miles each way to work car is a leaf. its much sportier than the prius models i have been in. maybe i was in the wrong ones but have not liked the way they drive.

per the rav4, our test drive vehicle felt more like a toy than a safe family vehicle. we both like a car that drives like a go-kart so its not that it was too sporty.

per the forrester, we also did not like the way this car drives and it was rejected.

in the small suv segment, probably the best driving vehicle i have tried is the Q3. my mom has one and its fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had a Forester for three years and never liked it. It was good in the snow, but other than that, I wasn't sad to trade it in. I had a rental Outback last fall and really liked it. The Crosstrek is interesting and can be had with a six speed manual, but the auto gets better mileage. In fact, the city mileage of a manual crosstrek is the same as my bigass Ford Expedition at 22 mpg.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the ownership experience with my wife's CX-9, I'd recommend looking at the Mazda CX-3.

If your wife has the Mini Cooper for fun reasons, Mazda makes by far the most fun SUV I've driven (many imports and domestics). I haven't driven the CX-3 but I have driven the CX-5.

Car and Driver on the CX3:

Highs: Drives better than its rivals, drinks less fuel than its rivals, looks better than its rivals.
    Lows: Back seat and cargo area are too small, coarse engine noises, can't hide harsh bumps.
    Verdict: The CX-3 is a subcompact crossover for enthusiasts rather than pragmatists.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Never going to happen. Different price points. Different customers. The Forester is based on the Impreza platform.
    I don't know why I can't remember this. Seems like a gaping hole in their lineup. Especially with the XT trim. That could be such a fun little crossover. I drove an Impreza hatch for a couple days about a month ago and was rather underwhelmed.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't pay much attention to safety ratings but I see all sorts of cars get trashed. I can't remember what yesterday's roll-over was but it was a not so new Hyundai or Kia. This dude rolled it and probably went in the air while it was rolling. He got out on his own and walked to the ambulance. Point being that nothing is indestructible but modern cars can take a hard effing hit.

As to Subarus. I have a 2012 Impreza hatchback. It works fine, no real issues apx 60,000 miles. I'm only getting rid of it to get a minivan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve got a 2017 Outback 3.6R with all the bells and whistles. This thing drives for me with the lane assist and adaptive cruise.
    Unfortunately it also got me a speeding ticket because it halls ass on the interstate.

I used to have the regular Impreza which was similar to the Rav4. Too small to sleep in and no balls on the highway.
    The decked out version I have the only car I’ll ever get. Interior is really nice with the wood panelling and upgraded music system.

Sachs has the same version but with the regular wheels instead of this LP Aventure setup.

Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=DCT;1006319]I’ve got a 2017 Outback 3.6R with all the bells and whistles. This thing drives for me with the lane assist and adaptive cruise.
    Unfortunately it also got me a speeding ticket because it halls ass on the interstate.

I used to have the regular Impreza which was similar to the Rav4. Too small to sleep in and no balls on the highway.
    The decked out version I have the only car I’ll ever get. Interior is really nice with the wood panelling and upgraded music system.

Sachs has the same version but with the regular wheels instead of this LP Aventure setup.

------------
    the Andy Roddick look..
    love the wheels..
    thank ya much for the insight...
    ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    --- looking for a new vehicle to replace tammy's mini cooper...
    any good's or drawback's for Subaru...!?
    your thoughts and model preference appreciated...

ronnie with a smile
    Are you looking for a car to fill the same niche as the Mini Cooper? I would guess an Impreza would be the closest thing if you're looking for a Subaru.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head gasket replacement is considered routine maintenance.

Poor mileage.

Lackadaisical acceleration.

They made a good car when it had a transfer case back in the day.

To Avoid Fuel Limits, Subaru Is Turning a Sedan Into a Truck - The New York Times

They are popular regardless.
    Jay Dwight

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast