User Tag List

Thread: Rack mounts on Paragon sliders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rack mounts on Paragon sliders

Years ago I built a titanium frame with Paragon sliders for 135mm QR axles. I regret not welding on M5 rack eyelets, and I'd really like to mount a rack to this frame.

I'm not currently in the industry, so machine fabrication of any kind is out of the question - short of a drill press.

I'm looking for ideas to mount a rack securely - no funny stuff. My initial thought is to replace the washer with one that has a rack tab built in; I can't be the first person to think of this. Does anyone make these?

Then I thought of just buying inserts from Paragon with rack tabs... but none of these have this feature: 1 mm - Left - Sliding - Adjustable Dropout Inserts - Frame Building Parts

Again, just looking for ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rack mounts on Paragon sliders

Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rack mounts on Paragon sliders

Thanks Drew! I used to own that exact rack, many years ago. For a different kind of bike, it's probably a decent solution.

That rack - and so many like it - come with an extended QR skewer, which is its fatal flaw. I use Velo-Orange security hex skewers, and I wouldn't consider using any kind of QR skewer on my Rohloff hub in public locking settings.

Hideously long socket head cap screws exist, but all of this is moot because I have a specific rack I already own and want to use. And at any rate, any rack that would change my mind would have to have a 50mm or 80mm light mount. OMM does not.

I would consider the Tubus axle adapter (mounting similar to the OMM), but that would require a new Tubus rack - and back to square one with the skewer question. I'd prefer to work with what I already have: a Tubus Logo Evo.

I was hoping somebody would chime in that they have already used the Tubus Seatstay adapter for this purpose (meant for attaching the rack stays near the seat tube juncture), validating what I assume to be true: that it is stronger than a hardware store p-clamp.