User Tag List

Thread: Canadians - Steel tubing suppliers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Canadians - Steel tubing suppliers?

Hey all-

Just starting to edge my way down the rabbit holes and wondering, from a Canadian perspective, what your recommendations for 4130 and other branded tube sets are?
    I'm talking about our special circumstances when it comes to: availability in CAN, or shippers who use USPS so we don't have to deal with UPS, and of course just generally paying 2x what others do just because we lack hegemonic global economic superiority (for now).

I'm aware of some suppliers but whatever comes off the top of your head is valuable info!

Hobby builder so not much need for more than 2 bikes worth at a time...

Thanks in advance!
    emerson belland. vancouver island.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Canadians - Steel tubing suppliers?

Marinoni in Montreal sell a few columbus tubes.
    Basic 4130 can be found at aricraftspruce.ca
    US bike suppliers will ship via usps if asked. You are right UPS sucks big time when it comes to customs.
    Shipping from the US will cost an arm and a leg. This is the price of doing buisiness in the great north.
    If you have some volume you can order directly from Dedacciai or Colombus. Reynolds and vari-wall are other options too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Guillaume!

Yeah, I'm not even in the lower mainland where it was (before March) a lot easier to pop across the border to a shipping depot if you were expecting high shipping costs... I still have to take a slow boat to America if I wanted that option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 4130, you may have some luck with metal supermarket - Alloy Steel 413 Round Tube | Metal Supermarkets - Steel, Aluminum, Stainless, Hot-Rolled, Cold-Rolled, Alloy, Carbon, Galvanized, Brass, Bronze, Copper They have a location in Nanaimo and one in Victoria. I have bought small quantities of tubing from my local one no problem.

I have also bough from Henry James (headtubes and fittings) and aircraft spruce (Straight gauge 4130) with no issues.

Aaron Hershoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry James just announced that they are closing shop in a couple of weeks.
    Chris Dougherty
    Sacramento Ca
    Curious hobby builder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oof- that's tough to hear about Henry James, I had perused their catalog quite a bit...
    @donk Yeah, metalsupermarkets just points you at aircraft spruce if you ask them, so that's easily resolved! But I shop there a bit, maybe too much already ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oneonethreefour View Post
    Oof- that's tough to hear about Henry James, I had perused their catalog quite a bit...
    @donk Yeah, metalsupermarkets just points you at aircraft spruce if you ask them, so that's easily resolved! But I shop there a bit, maybe too much already ;)
    The one near my office (Vaughan, Ontario) has a pretty good selection so I've used them when looking for a short section of something odd I needed right away, otherwise it was aircraft spruce.

Aaron Hershoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Emerson

gives us a look when you get a chance BICYCLE FABRICATION SUPPLY , we stock Dedacciai and Tange tubing among many other products for bicycle frame fabrication. I do ship USPS , though they are a bit slow in this current year. We have been suppling a good amount of Canadain builders currently. Yes I know shipping cost suck and are very costly , but we give straight cost .

If you have any question you can reach me directly - andrew@bikefabsupply.com
    Andrew Cooper
    bikefabsupply.com
    Let's Build More Bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in western Canada too. I have done a number of orders through Ceeway in the UK and have found the shipping and duty costs to be acceptable- Best shop I've ordered from thus far. I've found Nova to be quite good as well. Aircraft Spruce has a Canadian arm and they are good for practice materials as well as standard stock bits for fab'ing things. I had a look through the Marinoni catalog once a couple years ago and the prices were crazy high and the selection was limited, so although I would be able to order a tubeset from my local shop it wasn't appealling.
    - Brad Comis. Bicycle Designer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you are asking about steel. But if you ever want to try Titanium. Titanium Joe is based in Kingston. I drive to Kingston to get practise tubing. They can across ship across Canada. I am just letting the Canucks a good source for titanium tubing. Paragon will ship USPS but you have to e-mail them your order. That save me some money too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting set up with Deda in Italy is fairly painless. €200 euro minimum order (amounts to a tube set and a fork basically) and shipping via post was reasonably. They will also give you access to their fork line.

Cheers,
    Russ Colnett