User Tag List

Thread: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

So one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time... figure out a way to make better coffee while I am in the woods. Since I have some time to myself now, I guess I can figure this out!

I have a JetBoil... well actually the MSR equivalent, but you get the drift. I have the French Press gadget for it, but I can't say that I am too impressed with that. I also have an Aeropress... but the only thing I would use the Aeropress for is making coffee. It takes up space. Could also go back to old reliable PocketRocket stove and a pot, and figure out a way to pack in the aeropress...

Decisions.

I guess I'm asking... what do the Great Minds of Our Generation do to make coffee when you're trying to pack as little stuff as possible?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coffee with a Jet Boil or an Aeropress.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    So one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time... figure out a way to make better coffee while I am in the woods. Since I have some time to myself now, I guess I can figure this out!

I have a JetBoil... well actually the MSR equivalent, but you get the drift. I have the French Press gadget for it, but I can't say that I am too impressed with that. I also have an Aeropress... but the only thing I would use the Aeropress for is making coffee. It takes up space. Could also go back to old reliable PocketRocket stove and a pot, and figure out a way to pack in the aeropress...

Decisions.

I guess I'm asking... what do the Great Minds of Our Generation do to make coffee when you're trying to pack as little stuff as possible?
    aero press, pre grind coffee, put in plastic baggie, stuff into aeropress, no extra space taken really, just the space for coffee youd pack anyway.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like mine drip, so I go the whole hog. I've got an old liter Nalgene bottle (the Lexan kind) that I cut the top off to make a carafe. An old #4 filter holder fits right into it.

If I'm not bringing all that, Starbucks instant, double strength, tastes ok and gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've got that new aeropress out too that's just a little bit smaller than the old one. I drink a lot of French Press and Pour Over around the house but I like the aeropress for travel. I find it easier and takes less water to clean than the other options, the filters are small and can be reused. Sometimes I pre-grind if I'm really cramped for space but when I can I bring along the hand grinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm a pour over man, just ordered a miir pourigami. brliilant piece of kit. it's three powder coated stainless plates that fit together to form a pour over dripper. either a mini alcohol stove or pocket rocket provide the heat. nesting pot/mug for boiling and drinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i'm a pour over man, just ordered a miir pourigami. brliilant piece of kit. it's three powder coated stainless plates that fit together to form a pour over dripper. either a mini alcohol stove or pocket rocket provide the heat. nesting pot/mug for boiling and drinking.
    Yarn | That's a hell of an idea. ~ Major League (1989) | Video clips by quotes, clip | 3b524d74-81e-493a-8634-2548643d8eb5 | 紗

I can make that at home. Total cost, $0. I'll give it a shot and report back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Decisions.

Drew I've been doing this for several day now. I stop someplace that is out of the wind and sight. Crank up my ancient whisperlite stove and use my Mokapot to make a killer cuppa. I pack a small amount of water, pre-load the mokapot with grounds, carry a small thermos for the coffee. I've got the same thing I make at home in about 10 mins. and I get to play with fire. Win win.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jetboil and an Aeropress with the grounds already inside, (in an enclosed bag if needed) and I'm ready to go. That has always been my go-to, even at home sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    aero press, pre grind coffee, put in plastic baggie, stuff into aeropress, no extra space taken really, just the space for coffee youd pack anyway.
    Exactly what I would suggest. Besides a good book and a hammock, any campsite needs a luxury or two, and the aeropress is worth its weight in delicious coffee. There's really no cup of coffee that good that's not from a La Marzocco. Don't nobody come at me with anything about a pour-over.