Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine Cooking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quarantine Cooking

Not quite to Frank's heat standard I fear as I didn't use quite enough Sichuan chili I was experimenting wit

But the tamarind, fish sauce, shrimp paste, mix of vinegars (rice,black and aged mushroom), lime juice and honey base gave it a wonderful richness...[/QUOTE]

Nice! That looks Delicious!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hey you KNOW I appreciate this.
    My lens didn't show up today like it was supposed to, so a Monday video will be shot.

I will be doing great northern beans and a black beans one.

I am also building some new boxes right now for the fermentation process. Just need the right router bit guide to make the dovetail joints.

IMG_0370-01.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That could also be a Blue Bird nesting box ;) Looking forward to this.

My inoculation supplies arrived and expect some fresh soybeans tomorrow eve. Preparing them to the point of drying seems pretty straight forward. Do you have a opinion regarding splitting and hulling the beans? I'm not that fussy, if some shells and whole beans are present I'm ok with that. My plan is to use my pizza dough proofing box for the ferment. I'll use the oven's bread proofing setting (105F) very judiciously with the door cracked. For drying the beans I'll use my homemade coffee bean dechaffing bucket (a blower rigged to pull air thru a SS sieve).

How am I doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That could also be a Blue Bird nesting box ;) Looking forward to this.

My inoculation supplies arrived and expect some fresh soybeans tomorrow eve. Preparing them to the point of drying seems pretty straight forward. Do you have a opinion regarding splitting and hulling the beans? I'm not that fussy, if some shells and whole beans are present I'm ok with that. My plan is to use my pizza dough proofing box for the ferment. I'll use the oven's bread proofing setting (105F) very judiciously with the door cracked. For drying the beans I'll use my homemade coffee bean dechaffing bucket (a blower rigged to pull air thru a SS sieve).

How am I doing?
    It certainly does. Ha. Maybe I will repurpose the box for the spring and tempeh for the summer and fall. haha

Definitely try out this method, but I recommend not over thinking it. It is a very easy process and can be done in as little as two days and up to 6 or 7 depending on climate and firmness.

As the beans are cooling down, I do remove some hulls and split the beans. Soybeans really need a few to be split so that the spores can get into the germ of the bean. I don't mind the hulls in the mix at all as I have never noticed them in the finished product. The pizza dough proofer is a good idea. As for the oven, you can just keep them in there with the light on and the door closed. I used a bread proofer at the restaurant for 24 hours to keep some heat in, but after the 2nd day, they should be generating their own heat.

In regards to drying the beans, I have had mixed results. I have put them on a sheet tray and rack to fully dry, I have used the hair dryer method to dry completely, and I have strained, let sit on a sheet tray for a little bit and then continued with the process. This batch that is going now was strained as much as I could and then added the apple cider vinegar and spores right onto the pan to mix. Fin a solution that works best for you in regards to time and your location.

I use a glass dish covered with a damp and warm cloth on top and then placed loosely in a box. On the 6th day I wrap in parchment and place in fridge to firm up. This is an optional step and the tempeh can be used when you are happy that the spores are wrapped around all of the beans. I have also used a plastic cake container with an uncovered glass dish of beans in the center and that works just as well.

Try out a couple of different methods and document your steps. Once you get a process that you like, you will get the hang of it pretty quickly. I like the box method as I don't have to pay attention to it other than dampening the towel once or twice a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brilliant, thanks for the tips.

I've got some old food coolers that are looking like wet incubators to me. I got an idea from the web to use an aquarium heater and fish tank bubbler. What I like best about this scheme is it will fit standard cooking sheets/tins and (best of all) the total thermal mass should maintain even heat.

How to make Betsy's Tempeh | Make the best Tempeh | Gunter Pfaff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tempeh is the word.
    My Non-GMO Organic, fetilized with unicorn tears Soybeans arrived and 1.5 cups are now soaked, cooked and dehulled. I found that a good massage while immersed in water after cooking loosened 99% of the hulls than they simply pour off. I've drained than patted them dry rather than fuss with getting the completely dry because that seems too fussy and food should not be that fussy ;) Added an appropriate amount of mycelium and into the oven. Eagerly awaiting.

We love good Tempeh and my gosh if this works out I'll make/freeze a bunch.

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9168402B-F581-4BB0-B722-2E44E910A015.jpeg

Can we get these with the Vsalon logo and present to those worthy?

I am not worthy.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because looks matter. Nice one Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tempeh looks great so far! I'm excited to see how yours turn out. What was your vinegar/spore/bean ratio?

Love the cambro as well! I need to get more. We have a Restaurant Depot here that needs a visit asap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found some petite tender Saturday, cooked one of them today, froze the other. Rarely ever see these, but if I do, I get them!!

Beginning. Pat it dry with paper towel, apply rub, into a sous vide at 135*F for an hour.

Out of the sous vide, just before going into the fire.

FIRE.

So good!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    The tempeh looks great so far! I'm excited to see how yours turn out. What was your vinegar/spore/bean ratio?

Love the cambro as well! I need to get more. We have a Restaurant Depot here that needs a visit asap!
    Dustin you are getting quite good at making me hungry.

Ratio was 1.5 cups prep'd soy beans to 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar to one packet of the stuff you recommended from cultures for health : Tempeh & Soy Starter Cultures and Supplies | Cultures for Health – Cultures For Health Packet looked to be one teaspoon. Just for giggles I'm going to save some of the result and let it go to spore > dry > grind and see if that works. But first let's see if this is good. I'm learning how to maintain 80F'ish. Everything is a process yah know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9881938A-EC2A-473A-BE65-1B2E26406C98.jpg

Went to an old favorite last night. 4 thick slices of bacon cut into small pieces and cook till done. 1 head of cabbage cut up and added to pot (bacon and drippings still in). Cook low and slow with lid on, kind of like onions, stir periodically until done. Sautéed andouille sausage separately and done. Cabbage is tender and sweet. Left overs are shown.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's amazing! So, pretty much a meal of pork fat and cabbage?! My grandfather would be so proud. He was also raised on a school lunch diet of lard sandwiches.

Also, where are we at in the countdown to someone breaking out the deep fryer? Is this week the week?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin you are getting quite good at making me hungry.

Ratio was 1.5 cups prep'd soy beans to 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar to one packet of the stuff you recommended from cultures for health : Tempeh & Soy Starter Cultures and Supplies | Cultures for Health – Cultures For Health Packet looked to be one teaspoon. Just for giggles I'm going to save some of the result and let it go to spore > dry > grind and see if that works. But first let's see if this is good. I'm learning how to maintain 80F'ish. Everything is a process yah know?
    I have found that these cultures take around 4 days to start sprouting a bit, with a few more days if left at room temp. Just a heads up so that you don't get frustrated like I did the first time I used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that these cultures take around 4 days to start sprouting a bit, with a few more days if left at room temp. Just a heads up so that you don't get frustrated like I did the first time I used it.
    Good to know. I'm seeing a wee amount of fungus.

Natto also is catching my eye. The flavor description is right up my alley. That might be next.

Oven temp. modulation is a real bear. I'm probably going to construct the cooler/fish tank heater dealio.

For the overly ambitious with cash to burn this is pretty slick:

Shop Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer & Slow Cooker
    Last edited by Too Tall; 05-05-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know. I'm seeing a wee amount of fungus.

Natto also is catching my eye. The flavor description is right up my alley. That might be next.

Oven temp. modulation is a real bear. I'm probably going to construct the cooler/fish tank heater dealio.
    1 day in the oven around 80-90* with the light on, (I used a heating pad on low heat as well) and then you can remove it from the oven and keep covered with a warm, damp towel on the countertop is just fine. Once you see mold growing, you are good to go. It multiplies rapidly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 day in the oven around 80-90* with the light on, (I used a heating pad on low heat as well) and then you can remove it from the oven and keep covered with a warm, damp towel on the countertop is just fine. Once you see mold growing, you are good to go. It multiplies rapidly.
    Ahhh, that's good info. Fingers crossed. Mrs. Too is a fiend for Tempeh. Somehow I do not anticipate the same for Natto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, that's good info. Fingers crossed. Mrs. Too is a fiend for Tempeh. Somehow I do not anticipate the same for Natto
    Natto is a very acquired taste. I am style trying to get used to it after 37 years. haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple spring meal...

Faro, roasted cauliflower, fiddleheads.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have fiddleheads already?