Thread: Quarantine Cooking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Quarantine Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    That’s what I’m talking about. Great looking stuff. Tell me about brown butter.

Mike
    Brown butter is regular butter that has been cooked just long enough to toast the milk solids found in the butter. All you're doing is cooking the butter just a tiny bit past the melting point. By doing this, you get this nutty flavor and something that just transforms a dish.
    Place 2 sticks of butter in pot and heat on medium heat and melt. keep the heat on and you will start to notice the water boiling off and foaming. Once the foam subsides, pay close attention to it and wait for the faint smell of a nutty aroma. This can burn quickly at this point. Once you get a nice light brown almond look to the butter, remove from heat and cool.
    Make sure to do this in a light colored pot so that you can watch the actual color. A dark pot will mask the color and you will almost definitely burn it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

11.5 hrs on the egg @ 225

pork-flame-boss.jpg
    bge.jpg

A little bark and tender meat goodness

half-roast.jpg
    chopped.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrimp gumbo

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    That’s what I’m talking about. Great looking stuff. Tell me about brown butter.

Mike
    Brown butter is in danger of becoming a lost art. No kidding, get your game on and behold. Beurre Noisette is heaven over fresh pasta or hey Romaine Lettuce flashed over charcoal. Use a stainless sauce pan so the visual change to brown is more apparent. First the water will boil off and than the milk solids will begin to cook, watch and don't stop stirring the change will happen rapidly. Account for residual heat from the pan or pour it into a container or straight onto whatever. My absolute favorite is fresh Gnocci with sage or any fresh herb + parm reggiano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people will tell you that Instant Pot cooked pork ribs are "almost as good as" smoked ribs.

Those people are full of shit. They tasted like pot roast. It wasn't terrible, the toddler loved 'em actually....but knowing how wonderful proper smoked ribs are, these were a huge disappointment. I feel like I didn't honor the sacrifice this pig made.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D@mnit why does that have to look so good? I just ate and am starving. This is all your fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

soup-01.jpg

A little homemade miso soup today! Finally finished the tofu making process and it came out pretty good. A few small steps to change and it should be great.
    Homemade dashi, miso, tofu, and wakame is all you need for a great bowl of miso soup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    D@mnit why does that have to look so good? I just ate and am starving. This is all your fault.
    They don't look bad. But the flavor wasn't there.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My weekend was also hit and miss.

Bread. Good.
    Banana bread. Better.

Instacart brought us a measly 2.5lb brisket which I made too spicy (says my kids) and too grey (says everyone). Bad.

Made up for that on Sunday with very nice spare ribs. Good. (Said everyone. Including/especially the dog.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    soup-01.jpg

A little homemade miso soup today! Finally finished the tofu making process and it came out pretty good. A few small steps to change and it should be great.
    Homemade dashi, miso, tofu, and wakame is all you need for a great bowl of miso soup.
    Very nice. Hmmm I do have bonito flakes and some homemade dashi leftover and pretty sure I have kombu. I can fake it. Tip of my hat for making tofu.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-07-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. Hmmm I do have bonito flakes and some homemade dashi leftover and pretty sure I have kombu. I can fake it. Tip of my hat for making tofu.
    I make my own tofu, tempeh, kim chi, rice wine, miso paste, sauces, and quite a few other things. My restaurants have as much house made items as possible, and my house always does as well.

This week is restocking all of the above finally!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make my own tofu, tempeh, kim chi, rice wine, miso paste, sauces, and quite a few other things. My restaurants have as much house made items as possible, and my house always does as well.

Obtaining anything other than commercial Tempeh (think lightlife) locally is impossible. A few years back I had some Tempeh made in Brooklyn that was out of this world was it Barry's? DC Metro needs something like that. You are doing the good work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obtaining anything other than commercial Tempeh (think lightlife) locally is impossible. A few years back I had some Tempeh made in Brooklyn that was out of this world was it Barry's? DC Metro needs something like that. You are doing the good work.
    Even here in Denver it is hard. We have quite a few asian markets but non of them sell good tempeh and it is disappointing.

It is incredibly easy to make and you can use almost any bean that you want. I am waiting on some new spores to come in and then I will be doing some black bean tempeh. I'll post a how to.

I am also really thinking of doing a cooking youtube channel in the next few months dedicated to asian cooking as well as vegan/vegetarian alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a very yummy pot roast last night. Recipe started from the NYTime cooking site. All in one pan. Brown pot roast in a bit of oil, set aside. Lower heat, add butter, a head of garlic and veggies and mushrooms, cook a bit, add tomato paste, cook a bit more then add some wine, reduce a bit and then some beef broth, pot roast back into the dutch oven and then into the oven for 2 hours.
    When you get thirsty, remember- Four out of Five Great Lakes Prefer Michigan

DJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikimiso over sushi rice, topped with house made Kim chi.
    Nikimiso is a Japanese pork dish normally eaten as a side or inside of a onigiri rice ball, (those will be made this week). Made with ground pork, red miso, (this one was made with white) soy sauce, fermented black vinegar, ginger, garlic, sake and onion.
    Working on a website now and maybe even a YouTube channel in the next month to show how you can easily make Japanese and Asian cuisine at home.

Nikumiso.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even here in Denver it is hard. We have quite a few asian markets but non of them sell good tempeh and it is disappointing.

It is incredibly easy to make and you can use almost any bean that you want. I am waiting on some new spores to come in and then I will be doing some black bean tempeh. I'll post a how to.

I am also really thinking of doing a cooking youtube channel in the next few months dedicated to asian cooking as well as vegan/vegetarian alternatives.
    I'm all ears and tupperware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day, who knows what, of at home recipe creation and testing. Working these next two weeks on asian cooking, specifically Japanese.

okonomiyaki-01.jpg

Okonomiyaki Hiroshima style.

My absolute favorite Japanese dish of all time.
    There are two styles of okinomiyaki in Japan, Hiroshima and Osaka.
    This style is more of a crepe-like pancake that is grilled and then layered with Napa cabbage, green onion, katsuobushi, pork belly, iron noodle, egg, kombu powder, okonomi sauce and kewpie mayo. Topped with pickled ginger.
    Each layer is grilled together and then topped with sauce.
    If you’ve never had the chance to have either style, go to your local Japanese restaurant and ask the chef if they can do it for you, (if not on the menu) well worth your time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking good!

speaking of brown butter: sage brown butter roasted sweet potato and yam. i added curried salt and brown sugar to the yams, left the sweet potatoes more savory. Both got a dose of sage brown butter over the top before baking. minced shallot and garlic because those things are good.
    [IMG]bazes roasted veg by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is awesome stuff! i was supposed to be training in an aisan inspired kitchen last month but well... theres always the future.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend with a dog who hunts truffles here in Oregon. its good to have a truffle hunting friend, and even better done by animal.
    ive truffled lots of stuff, truffled bechamel was amazing. but this is the classic.
    [IMG]truffle risotto by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Matt Zilliox