User Tag List

Page 143 of 150 FirstFirst ... 133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

During the decline of the Roman Empire, would be Emperors would make monetary bids for the loyalty of the Praetorian Guard.

The Law & Order President....

At the rally President Trump gave a scenario of what he could do: "Don't forget, I'm not bad at that stuff anyway, and I'm president.

"So I call some guy, the head of Exxon. I call the head of Exxon. I don't know."

President Trump went on to describe a hypothetical conversation: "How are you doing? How's energy coming? When are you doing the exploration? Oh, you need a couple of permits?"

"When I call the head of Exxon I say, 'You know, I'd love [for you] to send me $25m [£19m] for the campaign.' 'Absolutely sir,'" he added.

"I will hit a home run every single call," Mr Trump said. "I would raise a billion dollars in one day if I wanted to. I don't want to do that."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54614792

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“I need you to do me a favor though.”

Today's psychoperv insult of Fauci: He's not a team player.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a pretty good article, in that when you scroll through the background gives you a good timeline for what unfolded.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...ker/index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedophile Ghislaine Maxwell's buddy Melania won't be traveling with her "husband" on the campaign trip today citing Covid-19 recovery. I, cough, wish her, cough, well.
    Don't, cough, let it dominate your, cough, life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Pedophile Ghislaine Maxwell's buddy Melania won't be traveling with her "husband" on the campaign trip today citing Covid-19 recovery. I, cough, wish her, cough, well.
    Don't, cough, let it dominate your, cough, life.
    I'm really interested in Pizzagate and pedo rings (I hate evildoers), can you point me to a solid QAnon site?

aka

GTFO with that Epstein shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    I'm really interested in Pizzagate and pedo rings (I hate evildoers), can you point me to a solid QAnon site?

aka

GTFO with that Epstein shit.
    Epstein was your buddy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Epstein was your buddy?
    I'm only tight with Bill Clinton, America's First Black President.

Tas pendejo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insight into ACB's appointment you might have missed.

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Insight into ACB's appointment you might have missed.

Dewd. That's so 30 years too late. Not a criticism of Whitehouse, he did a terrific job. The sunset on this quite some time ago....but yeah applause applause nice 'splaination of how we arrived at his whiteboard. The Federalist Society is holding a brunch and laughing all the way to the bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dewd. That's so 30 years too late. Not a criticism of Whitehouse, he did a terrific job. The sunset on this quite some time ago....but yeah applause applause nice 'splaination of how we arrived at his whiteboard. The Federalist Society is holding a brunch and laughing all the way to the bank.
    Very true.......and dark money flows left and right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will again opine that left v right is a dog and pony show. It's up v down. It's about aggregating power for the few against the many.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will again opine that left v right is a dog and pony show. It's up v down. It's about aggregating power for the few against the many.
    I would agree with a more qualified version of that statement, but there are substantive differences, at least applied to present-day U.S.

Granted, neither party did much to slow down the erosion of manufacturing. Clinton signed NAFTA, and meat of the treaty was actually negotiated by the Bush Administration. When NAFTA went into place, it had provisions for retraining, but in the end, it didn't end up retraining many, and former middleclass jobs were truly lost. Beneficiary of that move are corporations (and shareholders) lowering costs.

One of the major disappointment I had with the Obama Administration was its reluctance to hold any wrongdoers to task, and in particular, the numerous deferred prosecution agreements that the Holder Justice Department signed with (alleged) wrongdoers. Everyone knows that actual wrongs have been done, or else the wrongdoers wouldn't settle things and pay fines, but these wrong doings are technically "alleged", as such deferred prosecution agreements by definition moot the rendering of a verdict. Yes, Mr. Holder is a person of color, and yes, he's a Democrat, but his reluctance to take anyone to task is truly supine, and he showed himself for what he truly is (a white-shoe corporate lawyer). Again, corporations (and shareholders) benefited.

Having said that, it's a bit disingenuous to believes that there is little difference between the one party that generally is trying to look out for the interest of many vs the other party that actively looks out for the interest of specific groups (namely the plutocracy). Sure, one party does not engage in action that seeks to protect interest of the general public all the time (refer to failure of AG Holder), but that same administration did at least put in law policies that legally forbid denial of health coverage due to pre-existing conditions, while the other party has actively tried to repeal that very law. I would proffer that law (the ACA) demonstrates a discernible, tangible, and significant difference between the parties.

I'll further submit that the "down" of the GOP isn't even interested in hearing that they have been taken advantage of, as evidenced by the plaintiff of the Janus decision and general lack of support for any type of unions, even when management is the one that suggests it in the first place (n.b. whatever the historical faults of VW may be, it, like many German companies, accord seats on its board to the union).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not disingenuous, but certainly simplistic.

When the DNC called me some time ago I told them I thought the difference in the two parties was the same as Coke v Pepsi. The caller took exception to this and enumerated the differences between his and theirs. To which I replied with question: " how'd you vote on the war?"

There's been a war on my entire life, all sixty-four years, and both parties endorse it and all the crap that goes along with it.

Prussia was an army with a government attached. Same here.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not disingenuous, but certainly simplistic.

When the DNC called me some time ago I told them I thought the difference in the two parties was the same as Coke v Pepsi. The caller took exception to this and enumerated the differences between his and theirs. To which I replied with question: " how'd you vote on the war?"

There's been a war on my entire life, all sixty-four years, and both parties endorse it and all the crap that goes along with it.

Prussia was an army with a government attached. Same here.
    Got it. Unless a political party passes your purity test, it’s all moot for you. Sometimes there isn’t really a good choice, and we have to pick between merely okay and the god-awful. That you would declare no significant difference simply because neither clears your bar for being considered good is just reductive and nihilistic.

Furthermore, no consideration given to the tangible differences that the different policies have on others. Yes, LBJ sent more troops to Vietnam, but he also expanded the social safety net (you did talk about the have nots) and signed into law the various Civil Right and Voting Right Acts. He spent all the political capital he mustered over the years to get those legislation passed (with the help of a few northern Republicans, who were derisively called RINOs). Other than the creation of the EPA under Nixon, i can’t recall any other drastic legislation by the GOP in the post-WWII era which served to expand or protect the common good. Voting rights, civil rights, and expanded safety net might not mean much to you, but they mean a hell a lot to the “downs” you previously mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Got it. Unless a political party passes your purity test, it’s all moot for you. Sometimes there isn’t really a good choice, and we have to pick between merely okay and the god-awful. That you would declare no significant difference simply because neither clears your bar for being considered good is just reductive and nihilistic.

Furthermore, no consideration given to the tangible differences that the different policies have on others. Yes, LBJ sent more troops to Vietnam, but he also expanded the social safety net (you did talk about the have nots) and signed into law the various Civil Right and Voting Right Acts. He spent all the political capital he mustered over the years to get those legislation passed (with the help of a few northern Republicans, who were derisively called RINOs). Other than the creation of the EPA under Nixon, i can’t recall any other drastic legislation by the GOP in the post-WWII era which served to expand or protect the common good. Voting rights, civil rights, and expanded safety net might not mean much to you, but they mean a hell a lot to the “downs” you previously mentioned.
    HW signed the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990. Hard to think of the current administration doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    HW signed the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990. Hard to think of the current administration doing that.
    Good point, I forgot about that.

In the same vein, whatever faults of HW may be (are there may be quite a few), the man did the responsible thing and raised taxes when needed. And he got excoriated for it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post

All your points are well taken. There is indeed a purity test, though, imbedded in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I have voted for the Democratic Party my entire life, and been repeatedly disappointed by the yawning chasm between the poetry it campaigns in and the prose it governs in. I voted for Barack, but he wasn't the change I had hoped for. Tim Geithner was a hugely compromised choice, for instance. Nonetheless I cried uncontrollably listening to his last press conference.

I am naive and an idealist.

I have voted to Joe Biden. I'd say he's an idealist too, and better than merely okay. The current occupant of the White House is the anti-Christ as far as I am concerned.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All your points are well taken. There is indeed a purity test, though, imbedded in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I have voted for the Democratic Party my entire life, and been repeatedly disappointed by the yawning chasm between the poetry it campaigns in and the prose it governs in. I voted for Barack, but he wasn't the change I had hoped for. Tim Geithner was a hugely compromised choice, for instance. Nonetheless I cried uncontrollably listening to his last press conference.

I am naive and an idealist.

I have voted to Joe Biden. I'd say he's an idealist too, and better than merely okay. The current occupant of the White House is the anti-Christ as far as I am concerned.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. Don't think i would find much to quibble about there.

I take back the line about reductivist and nihilistic. It's that often when people couch their grievances in the terms you posted upthread, they end up saying they either don't vote or vote for third party (even in closely contested races). After all, if there is no significant difference, why vote for either of the main parties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the whole thing about a "purity" test is valid if you use it as a reason to not vote for one of the (main) parties.
    But as a reason to not vote for either of the (main) parties, eh, not so much.