User Tag List

Page 124 of 150 FirstFirst ... 114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    This may require its own thread, but I am wondering who will do 45's officious portrait?

I expect it will be in Sharpie and protected under a thick layer of plexiglass.
    I think Ralph did a fine job...
    .1460751217-trumpportrait.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garry Trudeau got this one right over thirty years ago...

51zZWKZeIAL._SY477_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes anger is the best medicine.

Walter

Calmer than you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    At some point, the most impacted states will follow the trends in New York and New Jersey.
    Seems like some were quick to take a victory lap instead of realizing that if these states didn't take action it wouldn't be long before the virus spread would catch up everyone.
    Coronavirus Crisis: Ron DeSantis Got Florida’s COVID-19 Strategy Right | National Review
    Coronavirus -- Florida's Ron DeSantis Slams Media for 'Waxing Poetically' about Impending Outbreak | National Review

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appropriate that I am following a Grant post with this...

As an American, I crossed the border into Canada today to go to my home. My wife is Canadian and was already here which is why I am allowed, although we are both required to quarantine in our house/ on our property for 14 days even though we both just tested negative for Covid. The penalty if we don’t comply and get caught is up to a 750,000 dollar fine, 6 months in jail, banned from re-entry to Canada for a year.

Canadian Customs Agent: “How long are you planning to stay in Canada”

Me: “Well, I have to go back before the election so that I can vote”

Canadian Customs Agent: “Good, we will have to round all of your kind up and send them back and make them vote as it is the only way we can see to get your country healthy.”
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the Canada with more deaths per 1M pop than Iran, Colombia, Iraq, South Africa, Germany, Russia, El Salvador and 184 other countries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the Canada with more deaths per 1M pop than Iran, Colombia, Iraq, South Africa, Germany, Russia, El Salvador and 184 other countries?
    If you're buying any of the data Russia's putting out, there's a bridge to Brooklyn up for sale too.

Has Canada's response been perfect? Nah. But they look like Johnny on the Fucking Spot compared to what we've done here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't buy China's numbers either or any numbers from Africa or the Middle East or half of Latin America or the Indian sub-continent. Why don't we compare California to Canada and actually talk about the specificity of this health crisis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seriously? if you are going to attempt a relevant comparison, you might at least pick NORTH AMERICA, (vs all the Americas, as the accuracy of data is suspect in some LA countries). As a nation caught in an area that is among the major epicenters (Asia, Europe, NA) Canada stacks up well vs US and Mexico. I'd agree no nation in NA did AS GOOD a job as they could have done, but still, they are at 24 deaths per 100k and we are shooting toward 50.

My take away from 'Candide' was tend your own garden, and we really aren't--be nice if we could get our response effective, and then maybe we'd have the legitimacy to criticize a neighbor's situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    seriously? if you are going to attempt a relevant comparison, you might at least pick NORTH AMERICA, (vs all the Americas, as the accuracy of data is suspect in some LA countries). As a nation caught in an area that is among the major epicenters (Asia, Europe, NA) Canada stacks up well vs US and Mexico. I'd agree no nation in NA did AS GOOD a job as they could have done, but still, they are at 24 deaths per 100k and we are shooting toward 50.

My take away from 'Candide' was tend your own garden, and we really aren't--be nice if we could get our response effective, and then maybe we'd have the legitimacy to criticize a neighbor's situation.
    Is Canada 24th in the world in deaths per 1M population? Yes or no? Qualify that all you want....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

154,000 and counting. And off he goes (again) to play golf. The US response, given its advantages, has been nothing short of hopeless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    This may require its own thread, but I am wondering who will do 45's officious portrait?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    I think Ralph did a fine job...
    Porky Pie.jpg

Statue of Liberty.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Canada 24th in the world in deaths per 1M population? Yes or no? Qualify that all you want....
    to what point? The virus wasn't mailed at the same time in the same volume to 184 countries. It had to ARRIVE and SPREAD. Most of those 184 countries are even more irrelevant to spread in Canada than they are to the USA. In context of the VIRUS kinetics HERE and in NORTH AMERICA, your point is at best unclear. You cite Canada at 24 as meaningful?, when we are in 10th place.

The current extra 23 dead (and growing) per 100k population, given the huge population difference in USA vs Canada, is an abhorrent number of unnecessarily dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    to what point? The virus wasn't mailed at the same time in the same volume to 184 countries. It had to ARRIVE and SPREAD. Most of those 184 countries are even more irrelevant to spread in Canada than they are to the USA. In context of the VIRUS kinetics HERE and in NORTH AMERICA, your point is at best unclear. You cite Canada at 24 as meaningful?, when we are in 10th place.

The current extra 23 dead (and growing) per 100k population, given the huge population difference in USA vs Canada, is an abhorrent number of unnecessarily dead.
    I'm not citing US metrics but keep on moving those goal posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the GOP Plans to Suppress the Vote and Sabotage the 22 Election - Rolling Stone

As we get closer to the election, we can start a voter suppression thread. Wisconsin, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, will all be targeted. I wonder if the Philly mail slow down is such an attempt.
    Then we have to close polling stations.

Purging of voter registrations have already begun in Wisconsin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not citing US metrics but keep on moving those goal posts.
    Why don't you care about your fellow americans dying? you seem to be making a lot of excuses to minimize how bad our response has been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    Why don't you care about your fellow americans dying? you seem to be making a lot of excuses to minimize how bad our response has been.
    Enumerate my excuses and highlight my statements about my fellow Americans.

or

You could read my posts on California's failure to protect its largest community, ie, my fellow Latinos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enumerate my excuses and highlight my statements about my fellow Americans.

or

You could read my posts on California's failure to protect its largest community, ie, my fellow Latinos.
    I'll acknowledge all your cut-and-paste posts about COVID's spread through California.

And I'll admit to being puzzled by your post comparing the COVID death rate in Canada to Iran, Iraq, Russia, etc.

I don't get your point, so can you explain it? Thanks.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'll acknowledge your dismissiveness.

I replied to a post about Canada's situation vis-à-vis the United States. It struck me as smug. Especially when, by a critical metric, Canada should not be promoted as a model. 5 million more people live in California than all of Canada and the number of deaths are comparable. No one here is bragging that only 9500 people have died. So let's get beyond that.

According to the IHME's social distancing model, typical mobility only dropped by 58% in Canada. Mask rates are lower in Canada than the US. And, the lockdowns were lifted relatively early. So, if we must compare our two nations, who's most responsible for the "extra 23 dead (and growing) per 100K?" Trump, Republican governors, 25 year olds?

Canadians less likely than most to wear masks when out in public, poll finds | CTV News

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I'll acknowledge your dismissiveness.

I replied to a post about Canada's situation vis-à-vis the United States. It struck me as smug. Especially when, by a critical metric, Canada should not be promoted as a model. 5 million more people live in California than all of Canada and the number of deaths are comparable. No one here is bragging that only 9500 people have died. So let's get beyond that.

According to the IHME's social distancing model, typical mobility only dropped by 58% in Canada. Mask rates are lower in Canada than the US. And, the lockdowns were lifted relatively early. So, if we must compare our two nations, who's most responsible for the "extra 23 dead (and growing) per 100K?" Trump, Republican governors, 25 year olds?

Canadians less likely than most to wear masks when out in public, poll finds | CTV News
    Thanks, I appreciate your openness. And your own words too!
    GO!