User Tag List

Page 145 of 150 FirstFirst ... 135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    The future of American democracy is at stake here. Vote wisely.

Greg
    I believe this is absolutely correct. I believe we are standing at the precipice of bad things if today’s version of the GOP is further empowered.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I believe this is absolutely correct. I believe we are standing at the precipice of bad things if today’s version of the GOP is further empowered.
    Indeed! Today’s Republican Party is 1950s McCarthy-ism on a grand and unrestrained scale. McCarthy was only stopped by his own alcoholism and the fact that he attacked Eisenhower’s beloved US Army. No one with sufficient power has stood up against Trump-ism. It’s up to each and everyone of us to join together and vote him (and his minions) out of office.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post

This thread has completely ignored the latest news about Hunter peddling his dad's influence. I'm a bit amazed that this is ignored. But then again, not really.
    July 2019 was the Hunter-gate big reveal. Hard to make October Surprise with fixin's past their sell by date.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...thers-campaign

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such delicious irony in people trying to make an issue out of Biden's son's activities. It's kind of like 2016 when if you listened you'd almost get the impression that Republicans had a problem with somebody lying whether they were or not. With the current president and his family treating the White House and the government as an arm of the family business complaining about this? Really?

"Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Mr. Kettle, meet Mr. Pot. Talk amongst yourselves and feel free to sample the canapes."
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine will likely vote for the incumbent even though she agrees with many of the ideas of the Democrats. She's a gun enthusiast who has been convinced that people are coming for her guns, something that didn't happen during eight years of Obama. Not trying to start that fight but I think she is misinformed. We all need to educate ourselves on good information rather than falling prey to the misinformation and fear both parties trade in.
    From where I sit, one side is at times unable to deliver on promises either due to incompetence or being stonewalled by political opposition. The other side trades in lies and misinformation. That doesn't mean there has never been misinformation from the Democrats, but to imply equivalence is, IMO, wrong.

On the topic of "they're coming for our guns," it's such obvious fear mongering considering what it would take to overturn the 2nd amendment. The overwhelming majority of support on both sides of Congress and ratification from a large majority of states. But, you know, if Biden gets elected those guns will just disappear...I think single issue voters are just looking for an excuse to vote for someone without having to admit they actually support the full platform.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    From where I sit, one side is at times unable to deliver on promises either due to incompetence or being stonewalled by political opposition. The other side trades in lies and misinformation. That doesn't mean there has never been misinformation from the Democrats, but to imply equivalence is, IMO, wrong.
    I agree with you for the most part, especially in 2020. But I think historically there’s plenty of fear mongering to go around.

Anyway, I voted straight ticket Democratic this time and will continue to do so until we see more interest in truth and justice and equality from the GOP, ideas completely lacking in 2020’s GOP.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Paranoid Style in American Politics, man. They're afraid of the government taking their guns and we're afraid this administration/government/cabal will turn into the Third Reich, Part Deux.

I've read that voter turnout may be an all-time high this year. I have already placed my vote. It would be surprising if people are undecided. But apparently there are still undecided voters.

A friend of mine will likely vote for the incumbent even though she agrees with many of the ideas of the Democrats. She's a gun enthusiast who has been convinced that people are coming for her guns, something that didn't happen during eight years of Obama. Not trying to start that fight but I think she is misinformed. We all need to educate ourselves on good information rather than falling prey to the misinformation and fear both parties trade in.

Here in Illinois we have an interesting ballot initiative which, if passed, will change the tax structure to a more progressive tax structure. These initiatives are another reason to vote - there's more at stake than just the White House. The GOP figured this out a long time ago and the lower local and county offices are where they get tomorrow's congressional members and SCOTUS justices. They run this political machine very effectively it seems. I say this even though I personally disagree with today's GOP on virtually everything. If the Democrats wish to be a power they need to be far more active at a grass roots level and try harder to increase voter turnout. The GOP is very effective at this.

Just because your state may already be predestined to lean for one presidential candidate or another, local, county and state elections are also critically important to the future of the country and aren't necessarily predestined because they're not decided by the now-antiquated electoral college system. Vote wisely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Such delicious irony in people trying to make an issue out of Biden's son's activities. It's kind of like 2016 when if you listened you'd almost get the impression that Republicans had a problem with somebody lying whether they were or not. With the current president and his family treating the White House and the government as an arm of the family business complaining about this? Really?

"Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Mr. Kettle, meet Mr. Pot. Talk amongst yourselves and feel free to sample the canapes."
    Irony works on the one committing the incongruous acts only if one has enough self-introspection to look at oneself in the mirror. Modern-day GOP (and by that, I mean the GOP of the last 12 years or so) is devoid of the introspection needed. Though it's also quite possible it really can't see its reflection in the mirror. Given its figurative blood sucking tendencies (e.g. redistribution of wealth upwards), it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    The Paranoid Style in American Politics, man. They're afraid of the government taking their guns and we're afraid this administration/government/cabal will turn into the Third Reich, Part Deux.
    Alas, one of those scenarios is much more plausible than the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

every time I see our wartime president (whoops, we surrendered to C-19), about to take a rally stage I think of, and play if my laptop is handy, this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Alas, one of those scenarios is much more plausible than the other.
    Both are highly improbable and in some ways, that's what's wrong with this country (politically). Ask Eugene V. Debs (or Al Smith).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Everyone seems to think these are separate events. How would one party take over the government while leaving guns in the hands of its citizens? Or take guns without taking over the government. These are basically the same thing. You might do one before the other, but eventually you are going to have to do both to stay in power.

Gun people sure make it easy to find them too. Not smart. If you really think someone is going to come and take away your guns, why make it so easy for them to find you. For starters, don't friggin' join the NRA.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, UWisc just cancelled its match this weekend against Nebraska. Both the starter and 1st back-up for UW tested positive, as did ten others associated with the program. As others here have said a month ago, this was coming and is quite predictable. UW played a grand total of one game before cancelling the match...

The city of Madison is averaging ~250 positive cases for the last seven days, yet the mayor doesn't see it fit to impose stricter requirements. It would appear as if people are inured to it all...

Current inpatient number stands at ~120, or 3x what it was when it was really bad previously.

Just about an hour ago, there were two masked kindergarten teachers who took a group of ~15 unmasked toddlers on a walk of the neighborhood streets, with none of the toddlers masked...

All this, in a town derisively called the People's Republic. Out of control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Just about an hour ago, there were two masked kindergarten teachers who took a group of ~15 unmasked toddlers on a walk of the neighborhood streets, with none of the toddlers masked...
    Do you currently have toddlers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Well, UWisc just cancelled its match this weekend against Nebraska. Both the starter and 1st back-up for UW tested positive, as did ten others associated with the program. As others here have said a month ago, this was coming and is quite predictable. UW played a grand total of one game before cancelling the match...

The city of Madison is averaging ~250 positive cases for the last seven days, yet the mayor doesn't see it fit to impose stricter requirements. It would appear as if people are inured to it all...

Current inpatient number stands at ~120, or 3x what it was when it was really bad previously.

All this, in a town derisively called the People's Republic. Out of control.
    Washtenaw County in Michigan with the University of Michigan asked the undergraduates to isolate and remain socially distance from last week until Nov 3. I think they wanted to get in front of the Football season opener on Saturday night vs Minnesota, the season home Opener against MSU this weekend and Halloween.

Of course, some students now being 100% online, decided to go somewhere else. Las Vegas, Hamptons etc. So while attempting to stop the spread in Ann Arbor, they just sent the potential spread to other areas.

We really are fighting losing battles without national coordination being driven by the White House.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    We really are fighting losing battles without national coordination being driven by the White House.....
    Don't fret, Jared's got our collective back(s). The White House is "...getting the country back from the doctors." No need to worry!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/polit...ors/index.html
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...e-country-back

I sincerely hope that at some time in the not-so-distant future, Mr. Kushner is brought to justice (legally and fully in respect of the Constitution) and gets to occupy the same jail cell where his father once resided.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    r.

Gun people sure make it easy to find them too. Not smart. If you really think someone is going to come and take away your guns, why make it so easy for them to find you. For starters, don't friggin' join the NRA.
    According to law enforcement intel, in CA, an American flag on flagpole represents gun ownership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Do you currently have toddlers?

Easier to get my 4-year-old to wear a mask, than my 15-year-old stepson. In fact, neighbors called the cops on him for skateboarding maskless at the abandoned (closed) city library. Anyway, 4 year olds shouldn't have to wear masks outdoors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    I sincerely hope that at some time in the not-so-distant future, Mr. Kushner is brought to justice (legally and fully in respect of the Constitution) and gets to occupy the same jail cell where his father once resided.

Greg
    That's probably a better option for the family finances than putting him back in charge of real estate acquisitions.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Maryland family battled covid-19 at the same time as Trump. It devastated them. | Washington Post

Marine One landed on the White House lawn just before dusk. As its rotors came to a halt, the helicopter’s door swung open and out stepped Donald Trump.

The president had just spent three days in Walter Reed National Military Medical Center recovering from covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. And in a scene that would be set to dramatic music and tweeted to his 87 million followers, he climbed the steps to a White House balcony, took off his face mask and recorded a video urging the country not to fear the deadly disease.

“Don’t let it dominate you,” he said into a camera on the evening of Oct. 5. “ . . . We have the best medical equipment. We have the best medicines. All developed recently. And you’re gonna beat it.”

Thirty miles away, Carlton Coates Jr. sat in an Annapolis funeral home, staring at the casket that contained the body of his older sister.

Carol Coates had battled covid-19 at the same time as the president. But instead of a suite at Walter Reed, the 46-year-old Black teacher self-isolated in the basement of her family’s home. And instead of the experimental cocktail of antibodies that Trump was given, she received get-well cards from her fifth-grade students.

Carol had taught nine miles from the White House. But her illness unfolded in what seemed like a different universe than the one the president described.

The virus has killed more than 227,000 people in the United States, but it has hit some communities harder than others. Blacks and Hispanics are nearly three times as likely as Whites to contract the disease, according to the Centers for Disease Control. And African Americans are more than twice as likely to die of it.

“Don’t let it take over your lives,” Trump said during his triumphal homecoming video.
    Last edited by guido; 10-29-2020 at 06:49 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver