User Tag List

Page 22 of 150 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Sorry you got that impression as that wasn't the intention. If you backtrack through the posts you will see I made a comment based on something Trump said (questioning the cost to fight the virus) and also (not that it appears here) a comment a friend made about the social cost of isolation. I wasn't advocating this point of view or questioning the cost. The response, essentially, was the cost will be what it will be to save lives and prop up the economy. Which is where my comment which you were quoting came from in response. In other words, I am agreeing that governments of all stripes need to open the coffers to fight the virus and insulate us as best as they are able from the economic cost. So, it wasn't meant or intended to be callous and I was agreeing with the whatever it takes notion.
    I see. Sorry I missed the point. I've been told that this has happened before.
    Got it. I agree with you completely.
    Sorry.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I get that. Maddow really gets my goat because I think she's way more interested in belittling the other side than she is in discussing the details, nuance, or complexity of an issue. .
    On social issues, I am super liberal, on fiscal issues, I am harder to pin down. I consider myself a Hubert Humphrey Democrat. DFL by choice. Our History - The Minnesota DFL (I either just dated myself as very old, or I was really effing smart as a 3 yr old.)

I couldn't agree more and think Rachel is a complete dope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I couldn't agree more and think Rachel is a complete dope.
    Curious why you think this. I don't consume much TV news, but I have occasionally watched Rachel over the years and found her stories to be relatively in-depth and informative. Sure, liberal, but why a dope? Not a challenge, just a question.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An earnest question from a non-US national living outside of the US (but very concerned with what's happening in the US for all sorts of reasons): Why has 45's approval rating (in the US) improved after the outbreak?

I'm certain there is no singular reason, but, really, where to start?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    An earnest question from a non-US national living outside of the US (but very concerned with what's happening in the US for all sorts of reasons): Why has 45's approval rating (in the US) improved after the outbreak?

It makes no sense. The only explanation I can offer is that Americans, generally speaking, are way stupider and more gullible than previously thought. I don’t know how else to explain it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a tendency to rally around a president in times of war or other crisis situations. That is all I can attribute it to.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post

Haven’t you heard? It’s going to all over by Easter!! On that glorious day, longtime churchgoers Donald and Melanie and maybe her son (Melanie has a son), along with two Corinthians, will go to the National Cathedral. There he will accept the thanks of a grateful nation for ending the economic nightmare caused by the global pandemic. Churches will be packed nationwide.

Liberty University is reopening soon, allowing students to come back as soon as possible. They will be bussed in to participate in this celebration. During the campaign, Dear Leader uttered these inspiring words at Liberty University: "We're going to protect Christianity. I can say that. I don't have to be politically correct. "Two Corinthians 3:17, that's the whole ballgame. ... Is that the one you like?" Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty."

Rand Paul, guest speaker, will be wheeled in providing oxygen tanks are available. Punch and cookies will be served afterwards in Melanie’s new tennis pavilion at the White House.

Our long national nightmare will be over. Wait until you see his approval ratings on April 12th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump barrels toward calamity | Dana Milbank | Washington Post

President Trump has issued his order: Damn the mortality — full speed ahead.

With all the foresight of Napoleon invading Russia and all the caution of George Pickett charging the Union lines, Trump barreled ahead Tuesday with his plan to send Americans back to their workplaces — and, consequently, their airplanes, subways and restaurants — within 19 days, even as the rapidly spreading pandemic builds toward a peak.

“We’re opening up this incredible country,” he declared midday in the Rose Garden to Fox News interviewers, hours after the World Health Organization declared a “very large acceleration” of coronavirus infections in the United States, raising the prospect of this country becoming the pandemic’s new epicenter.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hallelujah.

Since the church was mentioned... It's difficult not to notice the frequent mention of God in US political rhetoric. Elsewhere in advanced economies, the mention of the three letter word tend to be extremely rare. Separation of church and state is a notion that's taken quite seriously, even in the UK where the head of state is also the head of the Church of England albeit only titular rather than being the spiritual leader.

If you substituted the Islamic analogue "Allah" for every occurrence of "God" in American discourse / rhetoric, would you feel any differently about what's being said?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Trump barrels toward calamity | Dana Milbank | Washington Post

President Trump has issued his order: Damn the mortality — full speed ahead.

With all the foresight of Napoleon invading Russia and all the caution of George Pickett charging the Union lines, Trump barreled ahead Tuesday with his plan to send Americans back to their workplaces — and, consequently, their airplanes, subways and restaurants — within 19 days, even as the rapidly spreading pandemic builds toward a peak.

“We’re opening up this incredible country,” he declared midday in the Rose Garden to Fox News interviewers, hours after the World Health Organization declared a “very large acceleration” of coronavirus infections in the United States, raising the prospect of this country becoming the pandemic’s new epicenter.
    Yeah, MAGA and all that. Brill.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Wuhan area is only discussing now of a schedule to stop the confinement and that dumbass think stopping the social distance measures would be a 'beautiful timeline'. Yeah right. Being able to snap my fingers and cure the whole world from both the coronavirus and stupidity would be a beautiful thing as well.

You need to have the IQ of an oyster to still support Trump at this point.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-25-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While on the job 24/7 in the situation room monitoring the COVID-45 situation and doing his daily devotional, "Easter means so much to me" he takes time out to tweet about Mitt testing negative:
    "This is really great news! I am so happy I can barely speak. He may have been a terrible presidential candidate and an even worse U.S. Senator, but he is a RINO, and I like him a lot!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most pathetic thing is Mike Pence playing the good kid while knowing he is the fuse that will blow very soon. Or maybe he is secretely hoping Trump will die from covid-19 before that ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    This statement is insulting to Oysters everywhere...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    This statement is insulting to Oysters everywhere...
    I wanted to be friendly with rocks.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Quotes like this are indicative of the cultural issues in this country that gave rise to Trump. Trump isn’t the problem, he’s the ultimate symptom of the problem. Crony capitalism has caused huge divides in wealth. The gulf between the “haves” and “have nots” has yawned to unprecedented proportions. People yearned for something different. Enter Trump, stage right. Once his popularity became clear, the GOP threw away all pretense of logic and jumped on the Trump bandwagon. The GOP stoked the fires of partisanship. This further inflamed financial/cultural divisions and hardened already hard-line attitudes. Hence many Trumpers will die during the COVID-19 pandemic before they admit the President is an incompetent fool. Americans are no smarter or stupider than other people worldwide. We are however more culturally divided.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Americans are no smarter or stupider than other people worldwide.
    I think you are culturally spoiled by "The american dream". In some cases I truly believe it is a good thing as it allow people to be less afraid of failure and actually do things more easily like starting a business when people in other part of the world may be a bit too cautious and less inventive. But in some case it makes a lot of people just floor the accelerator pedal when looking at the wall in front of them.
    --
    T h o m a s