User Tag List

Page 146 of 150 FirstFirst ... 136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150 LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    According to law enforcement intel, in CA, an American flag on flagpole represents gun ownership.
    Tell me about the "Armed Response" signs I've seen on fenced CA yards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Everyone seems to think these are separate events. How would one party take over the government while leaving guns in the hands of its citizens? Or take guns without taking over the government. These are basically the same thing. You might do one before the other, but eventually you are going to have to do both to stay in power.

Gun people sure make it easy to find them too. Not smart. If you really think someone is going to come and take away your guns, why make it so easy for them to find you. For starters, don't friggin' join the NRA.
    Well, the response to various events this year has turned the scales upside down. When the Government has acted in a punitive manner (plain clothes government agents nabbing people off the street as a response to BLM protests), the gun nuts, rather than decrying the tyranny of the Government, have in fact sided with the Government. Thus the armed militia are marching in tune with the Government. This, as I understand, is not exactly what the right to bear arms was designed to achieve and the gate to authoritarianism is ever so slightly ajar because of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Well, the response to various events this year has turned the scales upside down. When the Government has acted in a punitive manner (plain clothes government agents nabbing people off the street as a response to BLM protests), the gun nuts, rather than decrying the tyranny of the Government, have in fact sided with the Government. Thus the armed militia are marching in tune with the Government. This, as I understand, is not exactly what the right to bear arms was designed to achieve and the gate to authoritarianism is ever so slightly ajar because of this.
    I think those are the weekend warriors. The deep end militias lean towards ideology that is a bit more fluid than that. Fluid or confused, or at least not beholden to rules that say manifestos should avoid diametric oppositional concepts. They end up sounding more like the anarchists than the anarchists do. Some are Trump-cult followers without being government supporters while others are fantasists who want to burn down everything. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/u...-michigan.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to law enforcement intel, in CA, an American flag on flagpole represents gun ownership.
    Guess this gun owner is flying incognito then. ;>)
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NPR had an interview with Mike Giglio who covered the Oath Keepers, and it was informative, interesting, and absolutely terrifying. For anyone who doesn't think it's possible that civil war could happen here give it a listen. Look at pictures of Syria before and after their ongoing Civil War. Our Country is on a path it has never faced before and the coming years will shape our Nation forever. The Revolution will Not be Televised.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/10/28/92864...litia-movement
    Last edited by rydesteel; 10-29-2020 at 11:14 PM. Reason: got the link in bofore I timed out on editing
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The takeaway from that interview for me was that anyone who had seen combat wasn't down with the program and left the group.

The ones who talk about it aren't the ones to worry about.

Talk is cheap.

And the US is not Syria.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may have been a time when Syrians thought, "Syria is not Lebanon."

NB, this is not at all a comment specifically about the US.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Guess this gun owner is flying incognito then. ;>)
    You stay in Cali?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the Corn Belt. Grew up hunting and learned shoot at an early age.
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Tell me about the "Armed Response" signs I've seen on fenced CA yards.
    I should have been more clear. The flags are flown on free standing poles, usually in the yard. A tacit warning to urban and suburban blue state LEO's to tread lightly. And a wink wink to other 2nd Amendment Types.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have been more clear. The flags are flown on free standing poles, usually in the yard. A tacit warning to urban and suburban blue state LEO's to tread lightly. And a wink wink to other 2nd Amendment Types.
    Got it. The vernacular becomes further from my grasp with each grey fukin' hair. I swear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are they at least properly illuminated if the flag is up at night? even though that's already a lazy respect for our colors, at least they can properly honor the symbol of the system that grants them the right(s ) they so pointedly, specifically, cherish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that many are delighted with the US presidential election outcome, but I hope that all the celebrations that are happening don't turn out to be super-spreader events.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I understand that many are delighted with the US presidential election outcome, but I hope that all the celebrations that are happening don't turn out to be super-spreader events.
    Chik,

That ship has sailed. We have crowds at college football. Just check out the ND students storming the field post Clemson game. Fortunately, most are wearing masks.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like America is one big super-spreader event at this point. Looks like hunkering down for the winter is a good idea.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Chik,

That ship has sailed. We have crowds at college football. Just check out the ND students storming the field post Clemson game. Fortunately, most are wearing masks.

D
    I realize Clemson was ranked #1 , but they were missing arguably the best skill player in the country due to Covid. And then the students storm the field anyway ... the winner of that game before, during, and after was Covid.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I realize Clemson was ranked #1 , but they were missing arguably the best skill player in the country due to Covid. And then the students storm the field anyway ... the winner of that game before, during, and after was Covid.
    The students only had to get their cues from the president of Notre Dame, and they still managed to be more responsible by wearing masks, though that's a low bar to clear.

Also, Germany had fans back in stadia back in September, something like 1/10 to 1/8 of the capacity. Even that felt a bit risky. The stands at ND were pretty jammed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I think single issue voters are just looking for an excuse to vote for someone without having to admit they actually support the full platform.
    My gut feel looking at exit surveys (which show many R voters are pro women rights, gun control, nationalized health care, etc. etc.) is that people don't vote based on policy. They vote based on affiliation, which is the most single-issue issue you can find: am I a Republican? Not as "do I subscribe to the ideology of Rs", but "do I label myself such". I've seen this a few times outside the US, no need to think it'd be different here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just overheard this line from Bill Maher while channel-surfing:

"Stop saying you can't believe COVID didn't kill Donald Trump; it may have."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap...I have an Amercian flag on a pole my porch column, my mailbox and a decal on the rear window of my car, along with 5 college decals from the kids. No gun here, but I did have a Donald Trump is a Jagoff (Pittsburgh humor) sign posted until it was stolen.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.