User Tag List

Page 129 of 150 FirstFirst ... 119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    According to CNN and The Los Angeles Times, it's metaphysically impossible to contract Covid-19 from a group ride. Both outlets breathlessly announced that not a single case or cluster associated with group riding had been reported worldwide, not from official sources or anecdotally. Ride safe!
    Links, please.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was satire. Apologies.

My question is would CNN, NYT and the LA Times bother to report on that type of study the way they headline every bar outbreak? Absence of evidence and all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyhoo, I'm not advocating for less testing; I'm suggesting the science on both sides can be misleading, misinformed and misapplied.[/QUOTE]

I am wondering on what side science has been misleading exactly, or misinformed and misapplied?
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I am wondering on what side science has been misleading exactly, or misinformed and misapplied?.

Orange County being removed from the County Data Monitoring list while testing at rate that just barely meets the threshold while a county like San Francisco with the highest rate of testing for a large county in CA (2.5x higher than OC) and one of the lowest positivity rates (nearly half the rate of OC) continues to be on the list. So OC is on the path to reopening schools and they can now allow barber shops, nail salons and gyms to reopen.

https://abc7.com/orange-county-coron...ening/6384803/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So OC is gaming the system. Got it.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was satire. Apologies.

My question ...report on that type of study the way they headline every bar outbreak? Absence of evidence and all that.
    I've been reading pre-publication articles on medRxiv almost nightly. I've seen no reports documenting outdoor exposure resulting in infection yet. I can't imagine any such study is possible in a research sense, no IRB would approve it.

A retrospective analysis with contact tracing could suggest a possible case or case series, but I haven't seen such.

I've a friend who was in fact contacted because his yoga instructor became positive--they do outdoor yoga in a circle for at least an hour. As far as he knows, no students subsequently were infected. He's in his 60's and the yoga is not aerobically taxing. Even with the heavy breathing in cycling, I'd think the dilution effect of the outside environment would make an infectious dose unlikely. That said, since proximity to the virus is a necessary component in transmission and propagation of the epidemic, I'd not do it. If I come across anything relevant in the literature, I'll be posting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim, we can hang.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    So OC is gaming the system. Got it.
    Mas o menos.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/...remains-on-it/

How did Orange County get off the coronavirus watch list while much of the Bay Area remains on it?
    Counties are supposed to meet certain markers but the data isn’t always transparent

Residents packed beaches to protest shutdown orders. The sheriff said he wouldn’t enforce mask requirements. The health officer resigned after facing public harassment and intimidation.

That was just a few months ago, when Orange County seemed intent on leading a rebellion against public health mandates intended to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

And yet, this week, Orange County came off the state’s coronavirus watchlist while most Bay Area counties — which were among the state’s first to issue restrictive stay-at-home orders — have not.

The news that a region that saw intense resistance to COVID-19 restrictions amid soaring case rates and hospitalizations just weeks ago has now won the state’s seal of approval to begin a partial return to normal was such a stunner that one respected Bay Area epidemiologist spit out his proverbial soup.

Can you f-ing believe that?” said UC San Francisco’s George Rutherford. “Next stop Disneyland, what can you say?

Hello Miami!

More cut and paste aka, um, ya, Latinos:

Regardless of how data scientists crunch them, the numbers in Orange County are improving. And while the county drew nationwide attention several months ago when angry scofflaws packed beaches along the coast to protest COVID-related closures, many more residents may actually be adhering to the guidelines and helping to curb the virus’ spread.

“I suspect that maybe the small minority are out there making all the fuss, and the people directly in the jaws of this — low-income, blue-collar Latino workers — are the ones who are toeing the line,” he said. “How else did they get off the list?”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jim, we can hang.
    Pliny is in the fridge, and a 6-foot table is in the shade out back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think Trump has done a good job of dealing quickly and appropriately with the corona virus problem, then you need to read this long detailed list of what he's done and how he has only made things worse.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/ana...ct-us-from-19/

This is a well written list of what he's done since January 2020 to protect the health of the US citizens from Covid.
    It describes how he minimizes the significance of the pandemic, how he has dragged his feet the whole way, how he has not provided leadership that could have stemmed things earlier, how he focuses on his image rather than on our health.

It is a long read, going through a list of 595 ways he's messed this up.
    But, if you really think he's done it right, then you really should read through this and come up with an honest explanation of why each of these 595 decisions were the right ones.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Herd Immunity.

To the living, talk among yourselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heckuva' job Drumphy! But haven't y'all heard? The pandemic is in the rear view mirror and cannot be mentioned unless you praise dear leader's response. His job now is to praise and defend the Portland caravans of incels patriotically setting up their "technical" drive byes on FaceCrack.

And a special place in his heart for long time supporter Rittenhouse. Mom and Dad are hoping their young man will be exonerated/pardoned soon so he can pursue his law enforcement(hunting) career. FREE KYLE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I know you won't bother but here's a likely scenario:

Cases plummet in late September. A vaccine is announced in mid-October. Trump declares victory. How does our side respond?

Democratic governors should take the cynical and anti-public health route and beat Trump to the punch. Open everything (except concerts and sporting events) and cut the fucker off at the pass. Lives are at stake, right? Collateral damage on both sides can't be avoided. This is war, man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I know you won't bother but here's a likely scenario:

Cases plummet in late September. A vaccine is announced in mid-October. Trump declares victory. How does our side respond?

Democratic governors should take the cynical and anti-public health route and beat Trump to the punch. Open everything (except concerts and sporting events) and cut the fucker off at the pass. Lives are at stake, right? Collateral damage on both sides can't be avoided. This is war, man.
    Layer on economic collapse. So many small businesses are on life support, and millions face eviction and worse without supplemental UI.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from back in May, but still germane...and hysterical...and sad:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...jurassic-park?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salongate!

Newsom scapegoats nail salons. Pelosi takes the heat.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...t-15540110.php

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/...in-nail-salon/

If Pelosi doesn't understand the restrictions in the most consistent and restrictive city in CA (and likely the US), how are regular folks expected to follow them in good faith.

LA County:

There continues to be widespread transmission of the virus in L.A. County, which is why it is important not to gather with people who aren’t part of your household as it puts you at a greater risk for COVID-19. It is still safest to stay at home and avoid gatherings, even if everyone present is taking precautions.

The following examples of in-person gatherings are not permitted, even if they feel safe: celebrating the new arrival of a baby with a baby shower or gender reveal party; having a barbeque with a group of friends in the backyard for Labor Day; hosting a study group with school students; having dinner with extended family and friends to honor the High Holidays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur); gathering at the beach with friends over the hot weekend. These types of gatherings are risky as they bring together people who do not live together and increase the chances of community transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salongate!

Newsom scapegoats nail salons. Pelosi takes the heat.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...t-15540110.php

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/...in-nail-salon/

If Pelosi doesn't understand the restrictions in the most consistent and restrictive city in CA (and likely the US), how are regular folks expected to follow them in good faith.

LA County:

There continues to be widespread transmission of the virus in L.A. County, which is why it is important not to gather with people who aren’t part of your household as it puts you at a greater risk for COVID-19. It is still safest to stay at home and avoid gatherings, even if everyone present is taking precautions.

The following examples of in-person gatherings are not permitted, even if they feel safe: celebrating the new arrival of a baby with a baby shower or gender reveal party; having a barbeque with a group of friends in the backyard for Labor Day; hosting a study group with school students; having dinner with extended family and friends to honor the High Holidays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur); gathering at the beach with friends over the hot weekend. These types of gatherings are risky as they bring together people who do not live together and increase the chances of community transmission.
    I think the real issue is that by not having a consistent set of guidelines nationwide and instead forcing states or cities and counties to set their own rules, it's impossible to perfectly follow them at all times. You have to know what the actual rules are and if you're interacting across state or county lines it's likely that you won't be up to date and you're going to rely on employees to tell you what the rules are.

Throw in some false outrage, moral outrage, and selective memory and this is where we end up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Mango Fucktwit sits in his chair every morning while watching FuxNews being air brushed orange and with his hairspray concretion with no mask ever. But, oh no, Nancy is a hypocrite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should play golf together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I think the real issue is that by not having a consistent set of guidelines nationwide and instead forcing states or cities and counties to set their own rules, it's impossible to perfectly follow them at all times. You have to know what the actual rules are and if you're interacting across state or county lines it's likely that you won't be up to date and you're going to rely on employees to tell you what the rules are.

Throw in some false outrage, moral outrage, and selective memory and this is where we end up.
    She knows the mandates. Every Californian with hair knows the mandates. And she's a local politician.

My friend and barber, Andy, sent the following letter to a statewide office holder who represents 40M constituents. What are the odds Pelosi received similar correspondence?boat.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat4.jpg