User Tag List

Page 128 of 150 FirstFirst ... 118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

edit

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    But freedom and affluence came with a price. The United States, virtually a demilitarized nation on the eve of the Second World War, never stood down in the wake of victory. To this day, American troops are deployed in 150 countries. Since the 1970s, China has not once gone to war; the U.S. has not spent a day at peace."
    As one who's family benefited from having US military forces in Europe, this is pretty dumb. The US was the bastion against communism.

China is a communist county and was too busy dealing with internal affairs......mass killings and eating their own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-d5afca9e067f/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Buffoon was the word I used to describe the candidate.

So where do we go from here?

What will our vaunted ingenuity come up with as a solution? Looking backward won't take us forward.
    My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Pay attention to the chaos at the USPS. I’d be very concerned about this.
    Agreed. Not just because of the bloke who is currently running the USPS, but long standing systemic failures as well.

Thousands Of Mail-Voting Ballots Rejected For Arriving Late : NPR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    edit

As one who's family benefited from having US military forces in Europe, this is pretty dumb. The US was the bastion against communism.

China is a communist county and was too busy dealing with internal affairs......mass killings and eating their own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-d5afca9e067f/
    It makes one wonder why the US didn't try to save the Chinese or the Soviets from communism, doesn't it? Deal with the mother ships instead of the little spawns like Vietnam or Cuba?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    It makes one wonder why the US didn't try to save the Chinese or the Soviets from communism, doesn't it? Deal with the mother ships instead of the little spawns like Vietnam or Cuba?
    The reasons why are in the history books. Primary reason, each occurred either towards the end or after each WW. Little to no appetite to extend periods of conflict.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    The reasons why are in the history books. Primary reason, each occurred either towards the end or after each WW. Little to no appetite to extend periods of conflict.
    Bummer.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another example of an elected official overriding the recommendations of science and health professionals: Florida sheriff orders deputies not to wear masks, bans civilians in masks from office. I cannot fathom the willful ignorance of persons in authority in the face of a global pandemic.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Yet another example of an elected official overriding the recommendations of science and health professionals: Florida sheriff orders deputies not to wear masks, bans civilians in masks from office. I cannot fathom the willful ignorance of persons in authority in the face of a global pandemic.

Greg
    trumpTARD/DeathSantis idiot. If he doesn't believe the science, why is he allowing exceptions in his directive? Take a stand and go with it. Show your loyalty to guv and POtuS in all cases.

"Sheriff Woods' directive carves out a handful of settings where masks would be required, such as at hospitals, nursing homes, courts, schools, jails or a COVID-19 "address alert from dispatch."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Masks, masks and more masks.

@sexy_masks • Instagram photos and videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the last time this happened our cases went from around a few hundred a day to thousands, necessitating strict closure measures a second time. So...yeah, what could go wrong with reopening restaurant dining rooms.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...k=bignews_main
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Well, the last time this happened our cases went from around a few hundred a day to thousands, necessitating strict closure measures a second time. So...yeah, what could go wrong with reopening restaurant dining rooms.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...k=bignews_main
    Thanks for all the fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many Miami's are there in Miami?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    How many Miami's are there in Miami?
    Including the county, 11. And a bunch of not-Miami's.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else experiencing rage fatigue? I am. Europe, particularly in my neck of the woods and beach resorts down south, are full of Covidiots, but I don't seem to have the energy to get worked up about it.

Also, with the infection rate being high around here, I still see group rides, including my erstwhile club, all over the place. Tightly packed two abreast. I don't get it. Based on WHO recommendation, we're not required to wear masks during strenuous exercise, which I think makes sense, but riding in a tight pack is an altogether different consideration. (Masks are still required in certain instances, eg, going through a crowded part of town or confined, shared spaces like an underground pedestrian/cycle tunnel.)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Anyone else experiencing rage fatigue? I am. Europe, particularly in my neck of the woods and beach resorts down south, are full of Covidiots, but I don't seem to have the energy to get worked up about it.

Also, with the infection rate being high around here, I still see group rides, including my erstwhile club, all over the place. Tightly packed two abreast. I don't get it. Based on WHO recommendation, we're not required to wear masks during strenuous exercise, which I think makes sense, but riding in a tight pack is an altogether different consideration. (Masks are still required in certain instances, eg, going through a crowded part of town or confined, shared spaces like an underground pedestrian/cycle tunnel.)
    According to CNN and The Los Angeles Times, it's metaphysically impossible to contract Covid-19 from a group ride. Both outlets breathlessly announced that not a single case or cluster associated with group riding had been reported worldwide, not from official sources or anecdotally. Ride safe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    it's metaphysically impossible
    You're making me have an epistemological meltdown.

Joking aside, that's interesting. I am guessing that it has something to do with droplets exchanged during a group ride not having sufficient viral load.

I still don't feel comfortable risking it.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tя☭mp in Tulsa: "When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people, you’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please."

CDC: "Just following orders."
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/26/polit...nce/index.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Tя☭mp in Tulsa: "When you do testing to that extent, you’re going to find more people, you’re going to find more cases. So I said to my people, ‘Slow the testing down, please."

Robert Redfield should turn in his stethoscope in shame. Violating his Hippocratic Oath to satisfy a bullying dictator. Pathetic.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post

It's a pickle in messaging and methodology. Orange County was just taken off the State's monitoring list while San Francisco and LA County remain on the list. However, SF and LA testing rates are 2.5 and 2x higher, respectively. When the 14 day case numbers are aggregated, more testing results in more cases per 100,000 residents. It's important to note that both SF and LA have a significantly lower positivity rates than OC. But OC gets rewarded for testing at lower rates.

LA County: 214.5 Cases per 100K residents (14 day), 4.1% positivity rate, 3.8 daily tests per 1000 residents
    Orange County: 157.7 cases per 100k, 5.9% positivity rate, 1.9 daily tests per 1000 residents
    San Francisco County: 202.3 cases per 100K, 3.1% positivity rate, 4.6 daily tests per 1000 residents

LACo.jpg

OrangeCo.jpg

SF.jpg

https://covid19.ca.gov/roadmap-counties/

Anyhoo, I'm not advocating for less testing; I'm suggesting the science on both sides can be misleading, misinformed and misapplied.