User Tag List

Page 122 of 150 FirstFirst ... 112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    The Roanoke group rides w/big unmasked indoor sweaty kitted up beer drinking afterwards resumed last week. Half the riders “work in healthcare”, and of course, are Superheroes That Don’t Wear Capes according to the 30 foot tall banners the local hospital megachain hangs from their buildings.

“It’s fine”, they tell me, “we have SO much ICU space”.

Living in a small city in the mountains is so lovely, until it isn’t.
    We are so 'd

Zach, we live in Maryland. Hogan has lead by example mostly so I think civility follows. Very few incidents of people becoming belligerant with restrictions in play.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-26-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you're wondering, Florida doesn't have a lock on stupid - here's Alki Beach in Seattle this weekend..

When I was in Bend a week or so ago (house purchase inspection, not vacation - and we aren't getting the house :( ) - it was the same story - the river was packed with people.

This isn't going to end well.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall, you're right. I'm brushing up on my German and exploring my german citizenship. Upcoming school year is going to be atragicomedy for so many families/teachers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still have my Japanese passport, really thinking of moving there full time next year. I am sick of this country.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    I still have my Japanese passport, really thinking of moving there full time next year. I am sick of this country.
    Really? It's just about to get interesting here.

Please take me with you. I loved visiting Japan.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Really? It's just about to get interesting here.

Please take me with you. I loved visiting Japan.
    They have done a decent job so far, but pretty hard on a small island with that many people. I'd go back to Kanagawa for awhile until things settled down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVRTDESIGN View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty disappointing to say the least. That Trump and the GOP have ANY support at this juncture speaks reams about who way too many of us really are.

Interesting show on 1A today, Twilight of Democracy; and we think we're immune, it'll be Leave it to Beaver time for ever and ever. I'm afraid we really do live in interesting times.
    Anne Applebaum On Authoritarianism, The 'Twilight Of Democracy' | 1A

Link to the same author's article in The Atlantic: Why Do Republican Leaders Continue to Enable Trump? - The Atlantic
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The grocery was a Smiths (Kroger, Fry's) and the sign requiring a mask reminded folks that they could order online and have their groceries brought to their car without ever entering the store. I suspect security guards will be added soon. WalMart has them. Starting Tuesday, we'll have a security guard enforcing social distancing in the break room and outside where employees smoke. The wailing and gnashing of teeth should be epic.
    We have come to accept that we will not be back in Arizona this winter so I dug out my snowshoes to make sure they still fit ( :) ), most of our retail spaces here are still line up outside, guard at the door counting in and out. All the way from Home Depot to the grocery store.

We went and bought insurance today on the car my daughter bought from a certain tall skinny Belgian, and even the insurance office is limited to 3 people inside at a time, 1 person per family.

On the whole I think things were going very well, this region of the province has basically no infection, up until July 1 when the idiots congregated from Vancouver and Alberta for a weekend of partying on the lake. We now have 100 confirmed cases just in this town, including staff members at the hospital. The partners were so careless that gyms, restaurants, etc have had to close down completely again to sanitize and ensure safe.

Almost all of the offenders were in the 28 to 35 age group. They blew into town, partied and left, and left a present behind.

Really disappointing, and really maddening.

These days I ride my bike, paddle my boat, garden, work in the shop , etc - if I leave the house I go to the grocery store or the lumberyard , that’s it. Good thing I’m basically an anti-social, grumpy old bastard anyway.

I laugh when I hear people talk about the “ second wave”, we are nowhere close to that. This is a shockingly contagious virus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile, in California, those bar-hoppers, low IQ non-distancers (you've seen the meme) and anti-mask gun toters keep fucking it up for the rest of us. Oh wait!

Newsom to send '''strike teams''' to fight COVID-19 in Central Valley - Los Angeles Times

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom said Latinos in the Central Valley have been disproportionately harmed by the spread of COVID-19, prompting the governor to send “strike teams” to eight counties while asking the California Legislature to approve $52 million to improve testing, tracing and isolation protocols in those regions.
    Newsom said the targeted approach on eight counties — San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings and Tulare, and Kern counties — comes as the state is seeing widening disparities in deaths and infections of Latinos statewide. Those increases are particularly felt in the Central Valley, where Latinos make up a higher percentage of residents.

The strike teams will be deployed later this week.

“This disease continues to grow in the state of California, it continues to spread, but not evenly,” Newsom said Monday while speaking at Diamond Nuts in Stockton. “It is disproportionately impacting certain communities and certain parts of the state.

Latinos and Black people have contracted the virus at a higher rate overall than the general population. However, the gap is widening for Latinos. After adjusting for population, Latinos are three times more likely to test positive for the novel coronavirus than white people.

Newsom said the rate of positive coronavirus tests in the Central Valley range from 10.7% to as high as 17.7%. The state’s average is 7.5%.

The surge in cases has hit farmworkers in those regions particularly hard, in part because they often live in close quarters, share transportation to job sites and have little access to healthcare.

Newsom said the $52 million he is asking the Legislature to approve for local public health departments in the Central Valley will come from $499 million in grants the state received from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The governor said he wants to use the $52 million to improve “our isolation protocols, our quarantine protocols, our testing protocols and to enhance our healthcare workers by providing more support as well as more personnel” in the Central Valley.

Newsom said his targeted efforts will mirror those in Imperial County, which has been one of the hardest-hit areas of the state. The rural county, which borders Mexico and Arizona, has reported 1,240 new cases of COVID-19 in the last two weeks.

“We were able to make some improvement in terms of the transmission and spread of the virus by deploying a number of strike teams,” Newsom said.

Those strike teams were made up of state, federal and local personnel who worked to increase hospital capacity and reduce transmission through contact tracing and assisting with workplace outbreaks. The governor’s office said those efforts helped drop the two-week average from 836 cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 to 308 per 100,000.

“We are doing exactly the same thing throughout the Central Valley,” Newsom said.

The focus on California’s heartland comes as Newsom has highlighted the need for the state to ensure workplace protections are adequate for essential employees.

Newsom said Friday that he plans to work “hand in glove” with the Legislature to increase COVID-19-related sick leave, ease workers’ compensation claim requirements, enforce labor laws and ensure employers are reporting outbreaks. The state Legislature reconvened Monday from an extended recess after having to shut down twice this year due to COVID-19 concerns.

Lawmakers have until Aug. 31 to send bills to Newsom before adjourning for the year.

Newsom’s decision to target the Central Valley for virus mitigation coincides with his standoff with two small cities there that have defied state orders by allowing businesses to remain open despite being on the state’s watchlist. Newsom has threatened to cut off federal coronavirus funding that the state is handing out to Atwater and Coalinga unless they follow state directives.

Atwater Mayor Paul Creighton on Friday called the move “a bullying tactic” to “extort us.”

headstart.jpg
    A child has her temperature checked as she arrives at a Head Start day care center for the children of farmworkers in Stockton on July 22. More than 70% of new cases of coronavirus in California’s fertile San Joaquin Valley are Latino workers, but advocates say they lack testing and access to care.(Max Whittaker / For The Times)

Ah, Newsom, if only your messaging were as straight as your slicked-back hair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much of this was apparent beforehand and should have been avoidable. It's almost like an entire nation is DUI, barreling down the road in a clown car without a care in the world.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The title is pure clickbait because even the authors of the study say it's inconclusive. However, I must admit that it is a tempting notion...

Narcissists and Psychopaths Are More Likely to Refuse to Wear Masks, Says New Research
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Meanwhile, in California, those bar-hoppers, low IQ non-distancers (you've seen the meme) and anti-mask gun toters keep fucking it up for the rest of us. Oh wait!

Newsom to send '''strike teams''' to fight COVID-19 in Central Valley - Los Angeles Times

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom said Latinos in the Central Valley have been disproportionately harmed by the spread of COVID-19, prompting the governor to send “strike teams” to eight counties while asking the California Legislature to approve $52 million to improve testing, tracing and isolation protocols in those regions.
    Newsom said the targeted approach on eight counties — San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings and Tulare, and Kern counties — comes as the state is seeing widening disparities in deaths and infections of Latinos statewide. Those increases are particularly felt in the Central Valley, where Latinos make up a higher percentage of residents.

The strike teams will be deployed later this week.

“This disease continues to grow in the state of California, it continues to spread, but not evenly,” Newsom said Monday while speaking at Diamond Nuts in Stockton. “It is disproportionately impacting certain communities and certain parts of the state.

Latinos and Black people have contracted the virus at a higher rate overall than the general population. However, the gap is widening for Latinos. After adjusting for population, Latinos are three times more likely to test positive for the novel coronavirus than white people.

Newsom said the rate of positive coronavirus tests in the Central Valley range from 10.7% to as high as 17.7%. The state’s average is 7.5%.

The surge in cases has hit farmworkers in those regions particularly hard, in part because they often live in close quarters, share transportation to job sites and have little access to healthcare.

Newsom said the $52 million he is asking the Legislature to approve for local public health departments in the Central Valley will come from $499 million in grants the state received from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The governor said he wants to use the $52 million to improve “our isolation protocols, our quarantine protocols, our testing protocols and to enhance our healthcare workers by providing more support as well as more personnel” in the Central Valley.

Newsom said his targeted efforts will mirror those in Imperial County, which has been one of the hardest-hit areas of the state. The rural county, which borders Mexico and Arizona, has reported 1,240 new cases of COVID-19 in the last two weeks.

“We were able to make some improvement in terms of the transmission and spread of the virus by deploying a number of strike teams,” Newsom said.

Those strike teams were made up of state, federal and local personnel who worked to increase hospital capacity and reduce transmission through contact tracing and assisting with workplace outbreaks. The governor’s office said those efforts helped drop the two-week average from 836 cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 to 308 per 100,000.

“We are doing exactly the same thing throughout the Central Valley,” Newsom said.

The focus on California’s heartland comes as Newsom has highlighted the need for the state to ensure workplace protections are adequate for essential employees.

Newsom said Friday that he plans to work “hand in glove” with the Legislature to increase COVID-19-related sick leave, ease workers’ compensation claim requirements, enforce labor laws and ensure employers are reporting outbreaks. The state Legislature reconvened Monday from an extended recess after having to shut down twice this year due to COVID-19 concerns.

Lawmakers have until Aug. 31 to send bills to Newsom before adjourning for the year.

Newsom’s decision to target the Central Valley for virus mitigation coincides with his standoff with two small cities there that have defied state orders by allowing businesses to remain open despite being on the state’s watchlist. Newsom has threatened to cut off federal coronavirus funding that the state is handing out to Atwater and Coalinga unless they follow state directives.

Atwater Mayor Paul Creighton on Friday called the move “a bullying tactic” to “extort us.”

headstart.jpg
    A child has her temperature checked as she arrives at a Head Start day care center for the children of farmworkers in Stockton on July 22. More than 70% of new cases of coronavirus in California’s fertile San Joaquin Valley are Latino workers, but advocates say they lack testing and access to care.(Max Whittaker / For The Times)

Ah, Newsom, if only your messaging were as straight as your slicked-back hair.
    I live in Mohave County, AZ. The two hotspots are Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City. When CA locked down, Californians headed to those two locations to party on the river. I live in Kingman which was initially the hotspot with a few devastated nursing homes, but the river cities have greatly surpassed Kingman. 87 new cases in the county yesterday, 4 in Kingman, all related to previously known cases.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    We have come to accept that we will not be back in Arizona this winter so I dug out my snowshoes to make sure they still fit ( :) ), most of our retail spaces here are still line up outside, guard at the door counting in and out. All the way from Home Depot to the grocery store.

We went and bought insurance today on the car my daughter bought from a certain tall skinny Belgian, and even the insurance office is limited to 3 people inside at a time, 1 person per family.

On the whole I think things were going very well, this region of the province has basically no infection, up until July 1 when the idiots congregated from Vancouver and Alberta for a weekend of partying on the lake. We now have 100 confirmed cases just in this town, including staff members at the hospital. The partners were so careless that gyms, restaurants, etc have had to close down completely again to sanitize and ensure safe.

Almost all of the offenders were in the 28 to 35 age group. They blew into town, partied and left, and left a present behind.

Really disappointing, and really maddening.

These days I ride my bike, paddle my boat, garden, work in the shop , etc - if I leave the house I go to the grocery store or the lumberyard , that’s it. Good thing I’m basically an anti-social, grumpy old bastard anyway.

I laugh when I hear people talk about the “ second wave”, we are nowhere close to that. This is a shockingly contagious virus.
    I'm avoiding Phoenix, where I live has dropped off to just a few cases a day, all related to other cases. Wrote a contract on a house in the desert yesterday, all kinds of dirt roads for my gravel bike. The neighborhood and my street are paved but nothing but BLM land behind me.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I live in Mohave County, AZ. The two hotspots are Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City. When CA locked down, Californians headed to those two locations to party on the river. I live in Kingman which was initially the hotspot with a few devastated nursing homes, but the river cities have greatly surpassed Kingman. 87 new cases in the county yesterday, 4 in Kingman, all related to previously known cases.
    5 months in...

LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES

For Immediate Release:
    July 27, 2020
    Public Health Underscores Compliance, Containment and Collaboration to Move L.A. County Forward 17 New Deaths and 2,039 New Cases of Confirmed COVID-19 in Los Angeles County

To underscore the ongoing need to protect the long-term health and well-being of residents and the workforce as we move forward in the recovery journey, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) introduces and underscores a new set of three Cs: Compliance, Containment, and Collaboration.

Compliance: Businesses must comply with Health Officer Orders and implement the strict infection control practices and distancing guidelines in place to protect the workforce and the public. Residents must continue to wear face coverings, maintain physical distancing, avoid gathering with people they don’t live with and continue washing their hands and cleaning high- touch surfaces.

Containment: Adequate testing and case investigations are critical tools to contain spread. The Department of Health Services has announced testing capacity has expanded to over 65% to serve communities hardest hit by COVID-19 that experience racial and economic disparities. Case interviews and contact tracing of people who are positive or exposed are isolating and quarantining must continue. Businesses and employers must also do their part and alert the department to outbreaks at their work sites.

LA County, Population 10M

county.jpg

states.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fields of Dreams aka Home Food Delivery is So Nice

COVID-19 rages in county that dismissed farmworker risk - Los Angeles Times

FRENCH CAMP, Calif. — As coronavirus cases began to grow in San Joaquin County in June, Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs proposed requiring citizens to wear a mask in his city in the center of the fertile valley, where agriculture is king and poverty pervasive. The response he received from the county emergency services director, a key figure in coordinating the pandemic response, was disquieting, he said.

“Stay in your lane,” wrote Shellie Lima in a June 9 email to Tubbs obtained by The Times, days before the county allowed card rooms, hotels and day camps to open. “I am against the proposed mask ordinance for Stockton ... Why would our elected officials feel that they have the medical understanding to do so?”

Weeks later, San Joaquin is so overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases that military medical teams have been sent to two local hospitals. ICU beds are scarce, and the surge has hit farm workers especially hard.

Though county figures say about 31% of overall cases are in the Latino community, some on the front lines estimate that up to 70% of cases from the recent hike have hit in that demographic, in a region where they account for about 42% of the population, according to census figures. Experts agree that official case counts across the state may be low because of testing problems.

“It’s just alarming,” said Jose Rodriguez, president of El Concilio, an advocacy and services organization that runs child-care centers and affordable housing for farmworkers. “It’s just disappointing how there is not a sense of urgency by public health or healthcare providers to find out how these folks are getting it and then try to contain it.”

Though the virus has struck other farm counties, such as Monterey, San Joaquin stands out as a place that dodged the pandemic early but did not use that time to prepare. As of Friday, the county surpassed 10,000 cases and has counted 110 deaths. More than 3,700 of its cases have come in the last two weeks.

Oregon distributes masks, protective gear to farm workers amid coronavirus pandemic - oregonlive.com

Farmworker advocates worry Oregon’s protections won’t keep laborers safe from coronavirus as harvest season ramps up - oregonlive.com

But the Oregon harvest season is just ramping up, and many of the employer-provided dwellings that house a large portion of the estimated 160,000 farmworkers and their families in Oregon each year are still empty. While many farmworkers reside in Oregon year-round, thousands are now traveling to the state from other parts of the country or abroad, even as coronavirus cases spike in many locales.

There have been concerning trends in parts of the country where the bulk of the harvest has taken place already. In the agricultural community of Immokalee, Florida, the country’s winter tomato capital, over 1,000 cases were reported in a town of 25,000.

The Latino population in Oregon has already been hard hit by the virus. Latinos make up 34.8% of coronavirus cases in the state, even though they comprise just over 13% of the state’s population. Advocates worry infection rates could get worse if farm operations, which depend heavily on Latino migrant labor, begin to see more outbreaks.

Oregon has taken proactive steps to address the inherent risks of coronavirus spread in farm operations.

Gov. Kate Brown announced in May that the state would allocate $30 million to distribute personal protection equipment to farmworkers, support outreach programs and help agricultural employers implement the temporary Oregon OSHA rules or provide alternative housing. Eighty-four agricultural employers have applied for funding since the application went live last week, but the money has yet to be distributed.

Neighbors aka 10x the population, 27x the number of cases
    states.png

oregon.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Fields of Dreams aka Home Food Delivery is So Nice

COVID-19 rages in county that dismissed farmworker risk - Los Angeles Times

As coronavirus cases began to grow in San Joaquin County in June, Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs proposed requiring citizens to wear a mask in his city in the center of the fertile valley, where agriculture is king and poverty pervasive. The response he received from the county emergency services director, a key figure in coordinating the pandemic response, was disquieting, he said.

“Stay in your lane,” wrote Shellie Lima in a June 9 email to Tubbs obtained by The Times, days before the county allowed card rooms, hotels and day camps to open. “I am against the proposed mask ordinance for Stockton ... Why would our elected officials feel that they have the medical understanding to do so?”

Weeks later, San Joaquin is so overwhelmed by COVID-19 cases that military medical teams have been sent to two local hospitals. ICU beds are scarce, and the surge has hit farm workers especially hard.

Though county figures say about 31% of overall cases are in the Latino community, some on the front lines estimate that up to 70% of cases from the recent hike have hit in that demographic, in a region where they account for about 42% of the population, according to census figures.
    What the fuck? How does this person still have a job, let alone live with herself? The incompetence and malfeasance is stupefying. At the very least, let’s figure out how to remember this.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    You heard it here first: The published number of Covid19 infections in Florida will surpass California; I'm figuring about 16 days based on current data. And then NY....in the cross hairs! It's like Hamilton just working his way up from a bad start with plenty of laps to go.

A human demographic can ignore biology; but biology ain't gonna ignore them.
    Buckle up, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.
    Man, I didn't see it coming; Florida blew the doors off of NY for the number of confirmed Covid19 cases! Texas, while not exactly a back marker, is certainly out of the running baring an even more major FUBAR; queue WWII era clips of English citizens bitching about carrying around their helmets and gas masks and claiming an infringement on their freedoms. And it's only been a week! California is still running well, solid driving but the lap times, I mean infection curve, are in Florida's favor. The deficit is dropping every day and as of tonight the slope of Cali curve is easing off while Florida's hasn't. Unless Cali down's some "small, hands-off government" stupid pills she's toast, it's just a question of, oh, maybe eight or nine laps, I mean days.

But I must offer my congratulations to Gov DeSantis! What a masterful job supplanting science with your religious and small governmental ideology!

So....Trumpsters.....ignoring the pretty strong case for calling bullshit on the "she lied and three died" Benghazi tragedy (never mind the Obama birtherism BS), where are your bumper stickers that say, in a font suitable for those who are incensed, "he lied and thousands died"? Hmmm....well, where are they? I won't hold my breath but I'm waiting to hear all of you own up to making at least one astonishingly stupid decision in the voting booth.

Down here in the Sunshine State, we've got 0.44 million confirmed infections and a population of 21 million...so, about one in 48; call it 2% in round numbers. Two percent of the population have or had confirmed infections; confirmed. I feel pretty safe in guessing that the actual number of cases isn't the same, and isn't less.....so....probably more? Ya think?

Trump and DeSantis; makin 'merica great! But, and assuming this Covid trainwreck is his definition of "winning", Trump was right about one thing. I'm getting real tired of "winning".

On a more pleasing note, after breaking my bench vise I've taken delivery of a new Wilton (though imported) bullet style vise, swivel base. Being a fair bit larger than the previous one, which gave sterling service, I have to make a new vise pedestal. The whole thing should be operational later this week. So that's pretty satisfying as is the in-process paint job (now by others) on a 650b x 48 conversion frame I just finished up. There's happiness in the shop as long as I stay away from the news shows.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    The title is pure clickbait because even the authors of the study say it's inconclusive. However, I must admit that it is a tempting notion...
    Title: Narcissists and Psychopaths Are More Likely to Refuse to Wear Masks, Says New Research
    An exchange on facebook a couple of weeks ago:

Post: Research shows lower cognitive ability is associated with refusal to wear masks.

Response 1: I don't know what that means but I'm NOT wearing a mask.
    I hope it's a troll but I'm not sure.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    An exchange on facebook a couple of weeks ago:

I hope it's a troll but I'm not sure.
    Gold.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    What the fuck? How does this person still have a job, let alone live with herself? The incompetence and malfeasance is stupefying. At the very least, let’s figure out how to remember this.
    It's a crisis no one wants to own; there's complicity all around. But the fields don't end in the fertile valleys, the same neglect manifests in the concrete fields. But we keep looking to crowded beaches for targets.

L.A. County shuts businesses over unreported COVID-19 cases - Los Angeles Times

By JACLYN COSGROVE, MAYA LAU
    JULY 29, 20204 AM
    Los Angeles County public health officials, in a move that could signal tougher enforcement of coronavirus reporting rules, ordered the closure this week of three food distribution facilities that they say failed to report outbreaks that sickened more than 140 employees.

The action highlights the Department of Public Health’s new enforcement measures, announced last week, which include fines as well as closures of businesses as a surge of infections intensifies across the county.

The companies targeted this week are S&S Foods in Azusa, with 58 confirmed cases; Golden State Foods Corp. in Industry with 43 cases; and Mission Foods Corp. in Commerce, with 40 cases, according to the county Department of Public Health.

“They have significant outbreaks amongst their employees,” said Barbara Ferrer, director of the health department, during a news conference Monday. “We were not notified — as we’re required to be notified once they had their three cases — and our inspectors have asked them to make some modifications to really enhance their infection control protocols at all three sites.”

California again breaks record for coronavirus deaths - Los Angeles Times

The disparity is particularly noticeable among working-aged Latino residents.

Of Californians aged 50 to 64, 65% of the coronavirus deaths have occurred among Latinos, even though Latinos make up only 32% of Californians in this age range.

Among Californians aged 35 to 49, Latinos made up 78% of coronavirus-related deaths, even though Latinos in that age range make up just 42% of the population.

And for Californian adults under the age of 35, Latinos represent 62% of coronavirus deaths, despite comprising 45% of the state’s population in that age group.

In the Central Valley, hundreds of workers have been infected at Ruiz Foods, a frozen-food packager in Tulare County, and Central Valley Meat Co., a meatpacking facility in Kings County.

In Ventura County, hundreds of agricultural workers have tested positive, fueled in part by an outbreak at a housing complex that provides agricultural employers with temporary housing for their workers.

Outbreaks have also been a problem across other agricultural areas of California: the Imperial Valley east of San Diego, the Coachella Valley of Riverside County, the Salinas Valley and wine country in Northern California’s Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Mendocino and Lake counties.

Health experts are deeply concerned about outbreaks that have devastated largely Latino low-income essential workers across California, affecting workers in agriculture, factories and food processing facilities.

L.A. County’s largest outbreak, which infected more than 300 people and resulted in four deaths, forced the temporary closure of the garment factory Los Angeles Apparel.

Three more companies with outbreaks in L.A. County were ordered to shut down this week: S&S Foods of Azusa, Mission Foods Corp. of Commerce, and Golden State Foods Corp. of Industry. Each facility had outbreaks where at least 40 people were infected, L.A. County public health director Barbara Ferrer said Monday.

The companies did not notify the county once they had at least three coronavirus cases, Ferrer said, and the county is asking for better infection control protocols at all three sites, Ferrer said.

Yep, 5 months in....